Fuel pressure headache

StrokenHard

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I think this is the right form for this, if not i apologize ahead of time.
now for my problem

I have an 03 with 190cc RCD injectors,banjo bolt upgrade,blue spring kit, SCT street tune for injectors..
up until about 5 months ago now i had between 65-69 psi, then one day i started it up and noticed my pressure was between 55-60, over time till now it has SLOWLY been less and less it is now between 45-49 and if i take off it drops to 40 and raises back as i pick up speed... i have replaced the spring kit as of 2 months ago, i have changed the filters 3 times and non of the times were they dirty, i have the test port exstension hose for my electronic Phantom pressure gauge, i have bled the hose for air and have found no air, i have no fuel leaks, and now i am beating my head trying to figure this issue out, i do not have much more money to put into this truck, i need your guys expertise!!!!

i appreciate anyone that can lead me in the right direction!!

P.S. after changing filters and spring kit i have found NO changes in pressure.... just stays Low

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
Fuel pressure dropping over time sounds like a pump getting tired or failing. As volume drops, it won't be able to maintain pressure. Don't necessarily need an aftermarket pump, obviously the stock pump is adequate (in terms of volume) since it used to hold pressure. Probably just time to replace it with one that is fresh.

StrokenHard

Reaction score
ahh yea im sorry i forgot to add that, yes it is a factory hfcm but i also replaced that 3 months ago with no pressure changes as well

i replaced the pump inside of it with a factory part**

StrokenHard

Reaction score
im just at a loss, I dont know everything about diesels i can pretty much fix anything on it if i have an idea whats wrong,but so far ive just thrown parts at it with no changes and we all know that only hurts the pocket..
could my pickup tube in the tank be clogged?? i know that the plastic piece has broken off cause it almost runs out of fuel at 1/4 tank so i never go less then half a tank.

what do people think?
also, i dont know if its need to know info but i do have egr delete with up pipe,cold intake, 5 inch cat back exhaust, and i know my Y pipe is leaking..

sorry if non of this makes much sense im just tryin to throw everything out there for everyone

StrokenHard

Reaction score
ill give that a try this weekend then, would you recommend pulling the bed off or just dropping the tank? it has a full tank right now and since i moved i have NO ONE to help so it will be just me

ghohouston

Reaction score
If you have no one to help, how the hell are you gonna pull the bed? This isnt like a chevy 1500 bed, these are HEAVY. I would drive around until below 1/8 tank or find a clean 55 gallon drum to pump your diesel into. Thats how we do it at work if theres a lot of fuel

StrokenHard

Reaction score
haha double pulley system hooked to my mower?? haha jk ill have to just drive a ton this week i guess

MorganY

Reaction score
Dropping the tank is easy. You can get it in and out by yourself (with an empty tank of course). The more difficult part for me is undoing the hoses, some are worse than others.

AKHILF

Reaction score
I'd buy a case of beer and invite some people over. That normally gets at least two people, the pulling the bed is easy. Me and one buddy pulled the bed on mine and I have a 7" lift and 37's. I think the beer helped out. But I also have a nice paint job so we still were carful.

StrokenHard

Reaction score
id like to pull the bed but as i said earlier i moved to a different state and i dont know anyone,but i have been thinking of some ideas on how to get it off with some pulleys etc.

dohcter

Reaction score
Sump it and run a 6.4 lift pump feeding the stock pump. No need to pull the tank and with some of the low profile sumps you can keep the stock skid plate just spaced down some. I just went through a similar situation and all is well now.

OneStockQuik6.0

Reaction score
ill give that a try this weekend then, would you recommend pulling the bed off or just dropping the tank? it has a full tank right now and since i moved i have NO ONE to help so it will be just me

Make sure the tank is low on fuel and use a floor jack and A 2x6 to bring the tank down,this has worked for me in the past....

onebadcoastie

Reaction score
Sump it and run a 6.4 lift pump feeding the stock pump. No need to pull the tank and with some of the low profile sumps you can keep the stock skid plate just spaced down some. I just went through a similar situation and all is well now.

I have one of those pumps with the harness sitting at the house not being used. :D

Joshbaker

Reaction score
For mine i did the floor jack and 2x4. Worked pretty well for me. And sump is the best thing i ever did to my truck. Although i have an Airdog as well.

Sully

Reaction score
They have this stupid pick up with an umbrella valve for if the fuel gels and the bottom gets plugged.that valve can get sucked out.just something to look at.
foot_zpscb854de9.jpg

StrokenHard

Reaction score
I have one of those pumps with the harness sitting at the house not being used. :D
I'd buy it from ya if I had the extra cash layin around,unfortunately me and my fiancee are both full time students, and im the only one workin full time and college aint cheap up here......

Sully ill look into that man i appreciate that

StrokenHard

Reaction score
OK so....... i replaced the Busted up plastic piece in the tank and removed all the stuff, was all excited, blew the lines out with air to make sure nothing else was clogged like the main pick up line was, everything was GREAT... till i started the truck and only gained 2 PSI of pressure, it now sits at 50spi and when im driving it only drops to 45 at most...... could my blue spring have failed?? im at such a loss, and i really cant afford to keep doing this...

StrokenHard

Reaction score
has both new filters, the fuel pump inside the water seperator is 2 months old and a factory part, blue pring kit was replaced with another one from ford, banjo bolts are in stalled.....could this be a sensor of some sort? i tried bleeding out all the air in the lines

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.