Fuelab Fun!

907DAVE

Reaction score
Pump #3 is going a bit nuts on me. The video show what its doing, but for those without experience with these pumps the center lug is the speed control. When this lug is left alone the pump should be at full speed, ground it out and it runs at reduced speed (according to the latest diagram..lol). In the video the top lug is ground.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Neat, huh?

TARM

Reaction score
That controller is fried. Something got melted. I guess its time for #4. Nothing screwy with your grounds etc...? You being use to working the electrical side of things I figured things like wire size and connectors is all squared away.

907DAVE

Reaction score
All I have at home is a $60 DMM, but everything seems fine...not much going on there. I think its neat how just touching the control wire sets it off.

I two pumps in rotation now. One for use while the other is getting fixed...lol. Needless to say I received the other pump back from warranty a few weeks ago.

Last edited:

TARM

Reaction score
That sucks. I wonder what it is with these pumps were some have no issues at all from the day they put it on and then others have issues. It would be interesting if we could get two setups and start checking things to see if there was a common link or it if was just something random with the pumps themselves.

907DAVE

Reaction score
Fuelab has been great as far as fixing their pumps. I have not had a single issue with the customer service side of things, or even had to pay a dime to get them fixed.

As of now the pump is operating fine on low speed, so I am packing the spare with me until the truck goes back to stock this weekend. The other truck will test out the repaired pump.

This truck does have some gremlins lurking randomly, so I am not going to put all the blame on the pumps as of yet... but its hard to see how something else would be causing this.

farm boy

Reaction score
I hope you get your kinks worked out. With all the recent failures, I picked up a used A1000 a while back just to keep under the back seat as a spare...

Every once in a blue moon, mine will whine way loud when I cycle the key on the truck. I just turn the truck back off, then cycle the key again, and the pump will sound normal.

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
Mine acts a little weird. Some times when I cycle the key for the glow plugs it will pulse on for a sec then restart and run fine.

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
Also my pump does what yours does if the center post isn't hooked up. Mine works fine on high or low but the wire needs to be jumped to + or - .

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I've seen the Fuelab pumps do some odd things with unstable or low voltages - fix that and hook the center post up to the ground, the hot, or to a PWM and they work fine. Leaving the post unhooked seems to do odd things...

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
This is mine with the center post not hooked up. It needs to be hooked up.
th_2012-02-15_21-00-46_258.jpg

907DAVE

Reaction score
I've seen the Fuelab pumps do some odd things with unstable or low voltages - fix that and hook the center post up to the ground, the hot, or to a PWM and they work fine. Leaving the post unhooked seems to do odd things...

In the latest set of instructions it says to leave it open for full speed, they do not list any other way to do this. In the previous instructions they wanted you to install a resistor in a fashion that would supply power to the center lug to switch to high. FWIW, I had the resistor in place when the pump started acting funny, this was how the instructions supplied with that particular pump described how to do it.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
In the latest set of instructions it says to leave it open for full speed, they do not list any other way to do this. In the previous instructions they wanted you to install a resistor in a fashion that would supply power to the center lug to switch to high. FWIW, I had the resistor in place when the pump started acting funny, this was how the instructions supplied with that particular pump described how to do it.

I guess I need to go look at the instructions with the latest batch of pumps I just got in....

535819_348065015248216_100001341612485_909037_1555991161_n.jpg

01dmax

Reaction score
in the instructions for my pump it didnt say anything about putting a resistor in there. Just leave it open or put it on a switch to go to high speed operation.

Blowby

Reaction score
I just had WOP install one on my race truck and had two pumps to look at. One had the resistor in the bag and the other didn't. Fuel lab said the new pumps don't need the resistor because it's now running an updated controller inside. Makes a funny noise on start up and is louder than I like but if it works then I'll get over it.

907DAVE

Reaction score
IMAG_0153.jpg

I wonder if I just got the wrong set of instructions for this pump?

JDub

Reaction score
I would contact Dennis at Strictly Diesel, he is extremely knowledgeable on these pumps.

Latest posts

Members online