Full sweep or 90* sweep gauge?

Denver

Reaction score
What do you guys prefer? Full sweep gauge or 90* sweep. Mainly asking about the trans gauge and what temps are you guys seeing on average?

TyCorr

Reaction score
I am a short sweep guy but only on my trans temp gauge. Now that I have a cts Ive gotta say I dont look at any of my gauges. There is no 'reading' just the exact temp when I look at the display.

dietoremain

Reaction score
Same ^ my trans gauge is the only short sweep, doesnt need to be anything else it has the important part in the middle..lol.

cfdeng7

Reaction score
Full sweep on everything here. Half sweep gauges look cheap in my opinion and as stated before full sweeps are more accurate. It would bug me if all my gauges were full sweep except one. Lol I like things to match

TyCorr

Reaction score
Full sweep on everything here. Half sweep gauges look cheap in my opinion and as stated before full sweeps are more accurate. It would bug me if all my gauges were full sweep except one. Lol I like things to match

Most gauges,save for white isspros or performance gauges, look cheap in person anywa. Im finding the trans temp gauge to be about ten minutes slow since this thread started. The insight will be up around 160°F and the actual gauge will be near 130...

Gonna compare them in a truck with full sweep trans gauges today. See if it matters. Im not deal impressed with old "reliable, accurate analog" gauges right now.

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
Most gauges,save for white isspros or performance gauges, look cheap in person anywa. Im finding the trans temp gauge to be about ten minutes slow since this thread started. The insight will be up around 160°F and the actual gauge will be near 130...

Gonna compare them in a truck with full sweep trans gauges today. See if it matters. Im not deal impressed with old "reliable, accurate analog" gauges right now.

I ditched the short-sweep for a full-sweep temp gauge. As far as Insight vs gauge - IIRC, they will be different because they are reading temps in different places in the trans. Also, none of the aftermarket temp gauges I've seen react very fast to temp changes... (not 10min slow though!!)

TyCorr

Reaction score
I ditched the short-sweep for a full-sweep temp gauge. As far as Insight vs gauge - IIRC, they will be different because they are reading temps in different places in the trans. Also, none of the aftermarket temp gauges I've seen react very fast to temp changes... (not 10min slow though!!)

True. The cts is telling me what the temp is right now. It changes as you watch it in real time. The gauge you have to sit and wait for it to catch up. Whether you know it or not the fluid is hotter than the gauge is telling you. If I get my trans temp up to 160 the gauge shows 125-130. Me and a buddy verified this in his truck today. His e99 showed the same difference. I trust the temps the cts is giving me, the analog gauge, not as much. We r going to extract some and verify the temperature. I think I know whats going to happen.

You can stop the truck, idle and watch the analog gauge catch up. All the while, the cts is displaying a drop as the fluid cools. I dont think thats accurate enough.

Last edited:

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
I was thinking maybe the OE sender was located someplace that sees hotter fluid than the aftermarket sender. I wonder if you could use an IR thermometer to verify delay of the aftermarket sender? Or bring a pot of water to a boil with a mercury thermometer and aftermarket sender/gauge to see if there is really that much delay. :shrug:

I got my BTS up to 225* for a few minutes one time and Brian ended up changing my ATF 'cause he didn't like the way the fluid looked. I wonder if it really coulda been HOTTER?? :eek:

catsdiesel

Reaction score
True. The cts is telling me what the temp is right now. It changes as you watch it in real time. The gauge you have to sit and wait for it to catch up. Whether you know it or not the fluid is hotter than the gauge is telling you. If I get my trans temp up to 160 the gauge shows 125-130. Me and a buddy verified this in his truck today. His e99 showed the same difference. I trust the temps the cts is giving me, the analog gauge, not as much. We r going to extract some and verify the temperature. I think I know whats going to happen.

You can stop the truck, idle and watch the analog gauge catch up. All the while, the cts is displaying a drop as the fluid cools. I dont think thats accurate enough.

Your comparing a sensor that is buried inside the tranny to one that is typically installed in the pressure port... One is subject to air temp changes, heat of the metal around it and the flow of the fluid.

There is no issue with a tranny temp in the port, it reacts plenty fast enough.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Your comparing a sensor that is buried inside the tranny to one that is typically installed in the pressure port... One is subject to air temp changes, heat of the metal around it and the flow of the fluid.

There is no issue with a tranny temp in the port, it reacts plenty fast enough.

Im completely friggin aware of the difference in how its reading temp. I installed the gauges. I put the temp sender into the test port on the drivers side of the trans pan. Im aware that the factory sensor that relays information is immersed completely in atf. Sorry for the elevated excitement but this has all been covered. Im reporting something.

The sensor that the cts is reading off of IS THE ONE THE PCM USES. There is no maybe there. I had a flashing od light last summer and my gauge was under 200 degrees... Apparently that little pencil eraser sized sensor for the analog gauge isnt transferring the temp quick enough. Its only taking fluid on its very end and under operating conditions who knows if there is ANY fluid to be had there. You cohld be getting the temperature of the case itself.

I think Jason might have inadvertently stumbled onto this. His fluid being more compromised than he thought it should have been given the temperature on his analog gauge.

Today a friend and I put the cts in his truck. The cts has a provision in its pid(what it displays) menu for an e99 trans. We selected that, just in case it matters. We ran his trans up to his operating temperature. By that I mean what he recalled to be where the trans is at temperature wise when the truck is warm. I asked him "what value is the gauge reading?" "170°". I told him "cts is reading 200°".

We drove the truck for an hour before the cts and his autometer ultra lite full sweep(for you guys that insist that they are more accurate than the short sweep) trans temp gauge. We ended our test with his autometer gauge reading 170°. It didnt go higher or lower once the truck was warm. Im thinking the case gets warm and determines what the gauge value is going to be. We went a step further and recorded a trans temp of 170 analog and 205 on the cts. We pulled his external filter,mounted before his trucool trans cooler ,and put about a pint of fluid in a jar and used an infrared thermometer to verify the temperature which was 207.

Gonna try it again on my truck but Im thinking the analog gauge isnt that accurate..:shrug:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Now I know that the didparity isnt enough to melt your trans but it could be higher if you are getting the trans hot faster such as towing. I know somebody might say they dont give a shti and thats fine but someone else might. Imagine towing on a hot summer day and getting your trans heated up to 250 deg and you're really burning up the rubber in your trans at 300?

Do what you want! Buy a bigger cooler, a cts, or save money for a rebuild. Live in blissful ignorance of what your really producing for temps. Im sure someone will find use of this information. The trailer is going on my truck tomorrow. We're going to mimic some high heat towing temps for observation.

catsdiesel

Reaction score
Now I know that the didparity isnt enough to melt your trans but it could be higher if you are getting the trans hot faster such as towing. I know somebody might say they dont give a shti and thats fine but someone else might. Imagine towing on a hot summer day and getting your trans heated up to 250 deg and you're really burning up the rubber in your trans at 300?

Do what you want! Buy a bigger cooler, a cts, or save money for a rebuild. Live in blissful ignorance of what your really producing for temps. Im sure someone will find use of this information. The trailer is going on my truck tomorrow. We're going to mimic some high heat towing temps for observation.

WOW... I must have hit a nerve or something.

Could be just your gauge, I have an Isspro gauge and a Scan gauge, they both read pretty much the same for all conditions. Of course Isspro uses a quicker reacting probe as well.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yea could be.

You didnt hit a nerve... I was aware of the difference. Must just be autometers and their inferior signal acquisition. I dont have anything other than autometers to compare to the cts.

I knew lots of people were running autometers. Esp in IL as autometer is in sycamore.
Just another reason to get rid of these crappy gauges....

None of that was directed at you specifically catsdiesel. Its really just a heads up for people that their gauge may be inaccurate, even for a short period.

Last edited:

Denver

Reaction score
Got my new gauge. I have a full sweep and a 90* sweep Danin trans gauges. I'm gonna run the full sweep since the 90* gauge goes from 100 to 180 in about a 1/2" and my trans runs anywhere from 140-170. It's to hard to tell the temp on the 90* gauge. It's not like their coolant gauge.

Latest posts

Members online