Garret vs. Borg Warner

Big Bore

Reaction score
What I'm saying is the S475/83 1.0 is pretty close in size to a 4202. You also have turbine housings options from .9 to 1.32?

I'd run a gate instead of a 1.44 housing.

Just remember your first stage is going to slow down your second stage's ability to spool since you're adding a restriction. It is going to be like you're driving around with a larger then a 38R turbo as a single. IE: if you were happy with the 38R as a single for towing at altitude then expect it to be less responsive when it has another turbine wheel to push.

I thought adding an atmo charger gave you better response on the bottom and more top end??

MadDiesel73

Reaction score
Just remember your first stage is going to slow down your second stage's ability to spool since you're adding a restriction. It is going to be like you're driving around with a larger then a 38R turbo as a single. IE: if you were happy with the 38R as a single for towing at altitude then expect it to be less responsive when it has another turbine wheel to push.

ive read the exact opposite of this marty.. everyone says it spools even faster. or is it different at 10k feet? im at sea level or close to it. or is that why guys say to go with a big 88-91mm to not create a restriction?

Last edited:

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Setup setup setup. A 38R turbine is so small already that it isn't hard to spool - but the addition of the atmosphere will slow down the spool up of the 38R - especially if the atmosphere has a restrictive turbine wheel on it that will decrease the pressure drop across the 38R's turbine. The balance factor is what is going on with the atmosphere - while the 38R is slower - what is the atmosphere doing? Is it spooling? Is it just making a restriction making things worse?

In my personal opinion - the turbine setup on these things make or breaks the setup. some very responsive setups have much larger turbine wheels than what most people can imagine. Going with some very personal experience from my past - an S475/83 is not a "race" charger IMHO its a "big" street charger- the turbine side is incredibly too small for competition use - I would rather use the 88mm at least or the 96mm turbine wheel for a race setup. I know of staged turbo setups using 96mm turbine wheels on the high pressure charger with really good spool up characteristics. Nothing I would recommend for high elevation mind you.

You have posed a good question about compounds at elevation - that I suppose I need to think about some. You know that I prefer a much larger atmosphere than what you have, and I understand your concerns about spoolup.... I need to chew on this a bit.

Marty

Reaction score
The altitude is the only reason I would even consider a small first stage like Frank is thinking about. I'd still run the largest exhaust wheel with a medium to tight housing on the S475 first stage though.

At sea level an S475 as a first stage would be ok for maybe 250/200's or so, but I'd go S5 or GT47 or GT55 with any 300+ cc injector. Then again I'd run an S465 as a second stage and run the 83 wheel with a .9 housing.

Oh well, that's my opinion. I haven't done it. Take it for what it's worth.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Most people run borgwarner because theyre cheaper. I personally like the garrett stuff. Mainly because you have so many options for housings and getting stuff sized right. They also release really good maps and info on all of there stuff.
I wouldn't get to caught up on the ball bearing stuff not being rebuildable either. You can always buy a chra which is a center housing rotating assembly. Which is new wheels and center section with bearings. Then you reuse your housings. Basicly same as a rebuild, with the price being fairly reasonsable. You can also upgrade a journal bearing chra to a ball bearing chra at any time.

Agreed

jkidd_39

Reaction score
Ok thanks. They have an S400SX-75 with ETT wheel 96mm exh 1.32 A/R housing T6 for $649. This has my attention.

Why a 96mm exhaust wheel?

I would think an 83mm, 87mm, or 91mm exhaust wheel. Would get moving easier.

Remember.. You can always go larger on your wheels but you cannot go smaller.

If you outgrow the 87 you can always go to a 91 or the 96

I have an S480/96/1.32 on the shelf and in the beginning I wanted to go to an 87mm ext wheel. But I couldn't go smaller. Now I'm considering bumping up to an 88mm comp wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while pulling a 36ft gooseneck and not paying attention to the road.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Your missing a important post awhile back about having the low pressure with a too small turbine will hurt the spool of the high pressure.

To me from what I have experienced a large turbine in the atmosphere is kinda important the high pressure turbo is your altitude compensator anyway

Latest posts

Members online