Garret vs. Borg Warner

Big Bore

Reaction score
Your missing a important post awhile back about having the low pressure with a too small turbine will hurt the spool of the high pressure.

To me from what I have experienced a large turbine in the atmosphere is kinda important the high pressure turbo is your altitude compensator anyway

Thats why the 96mm wheel interested me over the 83mm.

jkidd_39

Reaction score
Huh? I don't understand this statement at all - can you elaborate?

When I spoke with Jose at forced inductions he told me that you have to basically build a new turbo to go to a smaller exhaust wheel. But to go larger you can swap your wheel and exhaust housing.

From my understanding it's similar to when guys change there comp wheel they go to a "race" cover that is designed for the larger wheel (clearances, different scroll, ect)

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
When I spoke with Jose at forced inductions he told me that you have to basically build a new turbo to go to a smaller exhaust wheel. But to go larger you can swap your wheel and exhaust housing.

From my understanding it's similar to when guys change there comp wheel they go to a "race" cover that is designed for the larger wheel (clearances, different scroll, ect)

The turbine wheel is part of the center section of the turbo - to go up and down in size is the same amount of work and you still need to swap housings - and it is just as cheap to just swap chargers to change turbine wheels.

jkidd_39

Reaction score
The turbine wheel is part of the center section of the turbo - to go up and down in size is the same amount of work and you still need to swap housings - and it is just as cheap to just swap chargers to change turbine wheels.

Hmm. Well that info is duely noted. I will have to investigate further. Much appreciated HRT!!

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
Jose was probably talking more about the compressor wheel, which is easily spun off the shaft and a new one installed, then they mill or replace the smalller cover with a new one for the larger compressor profile. if you go larger you can reuse the same cover and mill it out larger but you can't make it smaller is what he meant to you, had the same comversation with him.

Big Bore

Reaction score
DzChey sent me several PM's trying to talk me into an S series awhile back. I cleaned my PM's recently and they're gone so I lost some good information I think. Now that I look at the turbine side options on the S series I see why he suggested that, plus the price is amazing.

blackbetty13

Reaction score
I had a gt4294 71mm with an exhaust housing that was 1.01. When David drove my truck he said it lit like a 38r. Now I have a gt4202r (75mm) dual ball bearing with 1.15 housing. I've actualy noticed better mileage, being that it lights quicker. However never gets above 10 psi when I daily drive. At Wot It'll bust all 4 tires loose and see about 50+ pounds of boost. if i was to add and atmospheric no doubt it would be a precision like Brian Jelichs.

a_moore

Reaction score
I have always been a Garret fan, but I am intrigued by the new EFR series BW. When I do bigger compd's on the 6.4, it will be with twin EFR's.

Latest posts

Members online