Garrett 38r vs Diesel site Ball bearing turbo

JO9816

Reaction score
I have these on my 2000 with a 38R. I need to tow more for final decision
but I like it so far. I have lots of other updates too. I didnt go larger
as I didnt want to beat up a 17-yo truck even with seemingly eventhing
to support even larger injectors.

Yeah I'm thinking of going with the turbo and injectors first and build around them. I talked to Dave at P.I.S and he said I should be fine as far as my hpop goes since the single shots use quite a bit less oil than the splits. Have the injectors given you the power you were expecting/hoping for or a little less than you were expecting?

Jomax

Reaction score
175/30s are a very nice upgrade. They're perfect for the DD. You can run them easily with stock turbo, stock everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gnxtc2

Reaction score
I have these on my 2000 with a 38R. I need to tow more for final decision
but I like it so far. I have lots of other updates too. I didnt go larger
as I didnt want to beat up a 17-yo truck even with seemingly eventhing
to support even larger injectors.

You could've went with a bigger injector/nozzle since you have an Adrenaline.

Billy T.
[email protected]

JO9816

Reaction score
I know this is kind of off topic and if someone wants to move it to another thread feel free to. But I've been looking hard at injectors for a while now and am pretty close to choosing. However, I only want to do this once, and don't want to be disappointed with the power if I choose a relatively small injector. I am willing to do a turbo upgrade, really looking at doing the DieselSite ball bearing turbo but waiting on reviews for it. For injectors, I'm debating between the 160/30 or maybe a 200/80. I was talking with Corey at CNC and he said to skip the 175-180cc injector all together...thoughts on this?

psduser1

Reaction score
I know this is kind of off topic and if someone wants to move it to another thread feel free to. But I've been looking hard at injectors for a while now and am pretty close to choosing. However, I only want to do this once, and don't want to be disappointed with the power if I choose a relatively small injector. I am willing to do a turbo upgrade, really looking at doing the DieselSite ball bearing turbo but waiting on reviews for it. For injectors, I'm debating between the 160/30 or maybe a 200/80. I was talking with Corey at CNC and he said to skip the 175-180cc injector all together...thoughts on this?
I think Corey is correct. I have a set of 200/80s in an auto, and 160/100s in a manual. They take a lot of hpo.

Jomax

Reaction score
I loved my 250/100 hybrids when I had my early 99. The thing was bone stock down to the turbo LOL. It was a riot. I vote the bigger injectors and tone it down if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JO9816

Reaction score
What is your ultimate goal and use the truck for? Towing, Daily driver, hot rod?

Billy T.
[email protected]

Well currently it's my daily driver. But with summer coming up, I'll be using it to tow a boat every once in a while. However, the boat only weighs about 5k so not that much strain while towing. I think the smartest thing for me to do would be some 160/30. On the other hand, I'm only 19 and like fast things lol. Power wise though I think a good 400-450ish would be good for me. I did ride in a buddies 6.0 that he said should be around 600hp...that thing would move for a big ole truck on 37s. But being 19 and still in college part time, I don't quite have the funds for 600hp. So what would be the best injector for me for a solid 400-450 hp?

gnxtc2

Reaction score
If you want 400-450HP, get ready to put some $$$$ down for supporting mods....HPOP, studs, valve springs, pushrods, turbo, trans/clutch, yada, yada, yada.

Good reliable HP stick with the 160/30 and call it a day. Throw one of those new KC turbos (I have no experience with 'em) or you can go with a proven T4 conversion.

Billy T.
[email protected]

JO9816

Reaction score
Yeah that's kind of what I figured. I do already have a built trans, but I think 160/30 would be the best for me. A good increase in power (from what I've read) but they don't totally kill reliability. I would love a new kc38r, but they only have them for 99.5-03 and for the obs trucks, and I have an early 99. That's why I was looking at the diesel site ball bearing turbo, but I haven't much about it which is what brought me to this thread in the first place.

dmd

Reaction score
You could've went with a bigger injector/nozzle since you have an Adrenaline.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Yea, I was thinking of bigger and then tuning them down. Then I knew I would
want the power and turn them up and break something else. With all of the
additions I have it runs real nice, the IDM modification was what really made a difference though. Not sure if the old one was going out or if the mod is so
much better.. Everything else was incremental and made a difference too.

BUT. this is a turbo discussion. With the setup it runs lower EGT, single shots
helped that I think. 39R made a big difference when in the power, but falls
off when dropping much below 2000 RPM with stock injectors.. Haven't
had any big hills since adding the single shots and that may make a difference.

Jake

Reaction score
I'm thinking real hard about the diesel site turbo right now. Went to shut the truck off this morning and the turbo sounds like crap spinning down. I bet the thrust washers are done. The truck just has stage 1's and is the tow pig.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

JO9816

Reaction score
I emailed the guys at dieselsite, and he said the 60mm version is good for stock to 160cc, and the 66mm is good for 160cc to 250cc. No core charge either. But I'd either email or call them and see what they say as to which would be best for you.

Jake

Reaction score
I bought one of the 66's this morning. 1/4"of axial runout in my turbo......

Jake

Reaction score
Lol yeah I'll throw it on the shelf for a few years.... Need to truck it will be going in Monday soon as it gets here. I'm still thinking about the air ride on this truck, finally done with school so more fun projects will be getting done.

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score
For injectors, I'm debating between the 160/30 or maybe a 200/80. I was talking with Corey at CNC and he said to skip the 175-180cc injector all together...thoughts on this?

There is a reason we make many different sizes of injectors. Each set has a purpose. If not we would make one size and let it ride.

160/30 - works well with stock turbo and hpop
175/80 - works great with upgraded turbo and upgraded hpop (uses exact same hpo volume as stock AD's)
200/80 - will give you almost exact same outcome as our 175/80, but with using stock hpop. They tend to dyno almost the same on the same setup. This is due to 7:1 vs 5:1 ratios.

Pretty simple. If you are told to skip a certain size just be aware of what you are getting into. If you want to call us for accurate info on our product and place your order we are happy to answer the phone, or actually return your call.

freddie

Reaction score
There is a reason we make many different sizes of injectors. Each set has a purpose. If not we would make one size and let it ride.

160/30 - works well with stock turbo and hpop
175/80 - works great with upgraded turbo and upgraded hpop (uses exact same hpo volume as stock AD's)
200/80 - will give you almost exact same outcome as our 175/80, but with using stock hpop. They tend to dyno almost the same on the same setup. This is due to 7:1 vs 5:1 ratios.

Pretty simple. If you are told to skip a certain size just be aware of what you are getting into. If you want to call us for accurate info on our product and place your order we are happy to answer the phone, or actually return your call.
I actually just emailed you guys Wednesday asking a question about these. With the same turbo (Bell BASB), what are the benefits of the 175/80's over the 200/80's? The $200 price difference, or something else?

I've been inquiring to some injector builders getting their takes, and trying to make a decision.

The Brad

Reaction score

Does this mean that the 175/80s are actually better than the 200s once a better HPOP is installed?