Glow plug stuck?

johnp115

Reaction score
So I noticed this...
ase5amu2.jpg

Pull the valve cover and went to pull the glow plug out and the whole time I was loosening it, it was extremely tight, and squeaking terribly. I know I unthreaded it completely because I wrenched on it for a long time to see if it would stop squeaking. But the glow plug will literally not budge in coming out. Even came down to clamping vice grips on the plug and prying it up and the vice grips would not hold and the glow plug never budged.

So I'm starting to think that the glow plug tip expanded/melted and simply won't fit out through the bore?

Has anyone heard of this?

It's really looking like it isn't going to come out, is this going to force me to pull the head in order to remove it? I feel like it's so stuck that if it does come out it will separate and break in half and leave me with the bottom part falling onto the piston.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Are these heads factory?

I've had this happen on a 6.0 with junk Chinese heads. The glow plug sleeves were not totally seating, letting combustion by and seizing the glow plugs....

johnp115

Reaction score
Are these heads factory?

I've had this happen on a 6.0 with junk Chinese heads. The glow plug sleeves were not totally seating, letting combustion by and seizing the glow plugs....

Yeah they're factory. It got a new short block but that came from ford. I think somehow the glow plug popped up, and like you said combustion got by and seized it. Or the end is expanded bigger than the bore. But there is no reason it shouldn't come out. I put an impact on it and spin it around for a minute and it still wouldn't pull up.

I would literally hate to pull a head for a 10 dollar glow plug.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I put a vice grip on the tips, as hard as I could clamp it and then wedged a pry bar under and popped em up

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
The glow plug connector popped up itself, right? Usually just crankcase psi

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Yea, something about it doesn't seem right. Like the inside blew up through the body... Like 7.3's do. Issue your having is its been like this for a while. Huge carbon build up. Have you ran the engine? It should help loosen stuff up

johnp115

Reaction score
I've had a code for a whole but I tink it popped out recently cause I just recently noticed the extra oil under the truck. Not dripping but oil on bottom of engine like any diesel has.

It's all apart id rather try and get it out, I'm gonna try a heat gun to heat it up

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Probably better luck just spraying deep creep down in there and letting it sit.

johnp115

Reaction score
Yeah that would be really unfortunate and costly haha.

Say if I can't get it out, would it be stupid to wrench it back down so the seal will go on properly and tune out the code?

Reaction score
Try jumping the starter, key off. That should spin it enough to get some compression to pop it out. Only other thing is hook the glow plug harness back up and let the truck heat it up, might get whatever is holding it to break free.