Going 38r in the 02

Reaction score
Well, just got back from a camping trip with the new combo in the 02, went up to Cades cove Tennessee from Buford ga area. Several long pulls of 7% - 8% grades. My opinion, this 38r is an absolutely great towing turbo, no smoke or lag like reported using the dieselsite wheel (glad I chose the route I did on the wheel), and spoolup and egts were a breeze compared to the stock charger, not to mention, NO SURGE!. Very satisfied so far, noise wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but is definitely audible. The combo of injectors and turbo on the 96 stills tows better (obviously more power, and still averages lower egts) and is quieter, for price the 38r is a good comparable option to the BASB, but if cost weren't a factor, I would still choose the basb

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

TyCorr

Reaction score
I bet if you toss the same injectors in both trucks this story will end differently.

175/80s and a stock 38r is ridiculous. Stock injectors and 38r is ok. Still tows well. Id put my 250/200s and 38r up against any of it, any time. Cooler egts, power is so dynamic that there are very few instances you cant do more with less pedal.

Im not here to trash your experience. Ive enjoyed this.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I bet if you toss the same injectors in both trucks this story will end differently.

175/80s and a stock 38r is ridiculous. Stock injectors and 38r is ok. Still tows well. Id put my 250/200s and 38r up against any of it, any time. Cooler egts, power is so dynamic that there are very few instances you cant do more with less pedal.

Im not here to trash your experience. Ive enjoyed this.
all falls back to tuning AND if everything on the mechanical side of things are eye***indentical!! that plays a big role as well...

live life full throttle

TyCorr

Reaction score
all falls back to tuning AND if everything on the mechanical side of things are eye***indentical!! that plays a big role as well...

live life full throttle

In what regard? The larger injectors being perceived as better by me? Or the idea that a stock fueled sd isnt a fair comparo to an obs with an s364 and 175/80(iirc could have been 100s)?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
In what regard? The larger injectors being perceived as better by me? Or the idea that a stock fueled sd isnt a fair comparo to an obs with an s364 and 175/80(iirc could have been 100s)?
what I was trying trying to say is that everything must be identical to compare if part A works better then part B on a certain setups... imo, being that a 38r isnt far off a stock charger size wise, and from the research I have done, it should light better and work all around better do to how easily it spools with a billet wheel and ball bearings, on anything from bone stock on up with propper tunes and everything mechanicaly matching... I am sure you have read some of Charles post on everything must be mechanicaly perfect to have tunes match from one truck to another to have them perform identically....

live life full throttle

TyCorr

Reaction score
Well, yea.

But comparing a 175/80 s364/366 combo to an ad 38r combo isnt in line with exactly what you are saying. My point was he is saying the basb is "better" for his money. Which I stated was fine and has been enjoyable reading his experiences. However that 38r would give a vastly different impression were it being fueled by the same size injectors. Been there, done it. Which is why I said anything.

One could get the impression that the 38r only performs marginally. Ive been in other people trucks running s36X, h2e chargers, and garrett models. The h2e are similar to the s turbos in my opinion. The trucks with bb garretts seem to work a little better in my opinion. Thats all I was getting at. A 38r is barely getting tickled by stock injectors and thats what people need to understand reading this.

Sorry for the derail OP.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Well, yea.

But comparing a 175/80 s364/366 combo to an ad 38r combo isnt in line with exactly what you are saying. My point was he is saying the basb is "better" for his money. Which I stated was fine and has been enjoyable reading his experiences. However that 38r would give a vastly different impression were it being fueled by the same size injectors. Been there, done it. Which is why I said anything.

One could get the impression that the 38r only performs marginally. Ive been in other people trucks running s36X, h2e chargers, and garrett models. The h2e are similar to the s turbos in my opinion. The trucks with bb garretts seem to work a little better in my opinion. Thats all I was getting at. A 38r is barely getting tickled by stock injectors and thats what people need to understand reading this.

Sorry for the derail OP.
yeah 10-4, we basically are saying the same thing... lol

live life full throttle