Gonna need rods, Stupid question...

XrayPipeliner

Reaction score
Well as it says I am gonna have to uprgade my rods and I am not sure what the differance between a short block and long block is. I see that DI has a short block with forged rods for $3500. I am guessing my factory block is a long block? Should I rebuild my motor or buy the short block? Only 73k on my motor. My goal is to go as fast as I can go and still pull an 18k fifth wheel when needed. Just wondering whats the more efficant way to go.

caladash

Reaction score
Looking at your mods in your signature we are in the same boat. Same injectors and of course PMRs! I went and bought a motor from someone on here for a few hundred bucks. Pulled one of the heads off and everything looks awesome! It's an OBS motor so it has forged rods. was told it was a running motor with about 100k miles. I'm doing head studs, valve springs, and push rods then putting it in my truck. Roughly be close to 2 grand in the motor. With a short block you will have to swap heads over. Studs, spring and push rods would be a good idea since you will most likely have your tunes for forged rods. So there is more cost that way. Just another option!

Last edited:

XrayPipeliner

Reaction score
So its looking like rebuilding what I have and not buying the short block is the way to go. Its a 2003 with 73k, and while we are on the subject, Dont think it really matters but what is weakist spot at this point, My tranny or my rods blowing thru my block?

bruce

Reaction score
i don't see why you're still tinkerin with that thing. you never have time to work on it and have to pay for all your installs. you should go get a brand new truck that way you have a warranty

XrayPipeliner

Reaction score
i don't see why you're still tinkerin with that thing. you never have time to work on it and have to pay for all your installs. you should go get a brand new truck that way you have a warranty

EVERYONE including my wife says the same thing, I am not budging! :stupid:

caladash

Reaction score
So its looking like rebuilding what I have and not buying the short block is the way to go. Its a 2003 with 73k, and while we are on the subject, Dont think it really matters but what is weakist spot at this point, My tranny or my rods blowing thru my block?

Finding a fairly priced forged rod motor in my opinion is the way to go. Swap it in and roll! Then as money allows, build the PMR motor with some nasty parts little by little! But, the potential is high for a rod to quit its job! I accepted the risk! Right behind that is tranny. Keep your foot out of it and it should last. That will be your next weak point.

Reaction score
Finding a fairly priced forged rod motor in my opinion is the way to go. Swap it in and roll! Then as money allows, build the PMR motor with some nasty parts little by little! But, the potential is high for a rod to quit its job! I accepted the risk! Right behind that is tranny. Keep your foot out of it and it should last. That will be your next weak point.

I believe that is your best bet as well. That is the exact route that im taking right now. I found a reasonably priced forged motor form william (Airfish on here) and going to do studs, springs, push rods and step up my injectors while its out.

DocBar

Reaction score
I would do Swamps long block, personally. They make a quality product and stand behind it. It's some jingle, but Bill should be able to keep it together and make good power.
Good luck with the rebuild. :toast:

Addicted4

Reaction score
Just buy a used forged motor and stick it in and sell yours you'll probably come out with money in your pocket. Your motor doesn't need a rebuild, check to see if its forged or pmrs yet?

JD3020

Reaction score
Just buy a used forged motor and stick it in and sell yours you'll probably come out with money in your pocket. Your motor doesn't need a rebuild, check to see if its forged or pmrs yet?

But he's already got hybrids and a turbo, and sounds like he wants to go bigger. So right now he'd be pushing forged rods, if he has them. Sure they might live, but he'd be safer to go with a built bottom end like he's wanting to.

Addicted4

Reaction score
He stated Carrillo are expensive so I'm sure a built motor is out of the question. Stock forged motors are 800-1250 each you can buy lots of motors for the price of a built one, tune it and rock out IMO

bruce

Reaction score
idk, you're a little low on air for 200% nozzles so i would get a conservative tune and roll with it, find a forged rod engine to build in the mean time or just buy one from swamps.

XrayPipeliner

Reaction score

It is an 03, I have not checked but Im sure they are.

He stated Carrillo are expensive so I'm sure a built motor is out of the question. Stock forged motors are 800-1250 each you can buy lots of motors for the price of a built one, tune it and rock out IMO

I wouldnt mind spending the money just means a slower build but I want it done right. I am also concernd about going too far to where I can no longer pull a 18k fifth wheel across the country if necesary. With good tuning I am guessing I should be ok?

DocBar

Reaction score
It is an 03, I have not checked but Im sure they are.

I wouldnt mind spending the money just means a slower build but I want it done right. I am also concernd about going too far to where I can no longer pull a 18k fifth wheel across the country if necesary. With good tuning I am guessing I should be ok?
If you're the original owner and haven't changed to forged, you definitely have pmr's.

Have you thought about getting the 468FMW? That's had a lot of great reviews for power and towing.

You should strongly consider saving up for a BTS or at least a BTS valve body and a PI TC.

I stand by my earlier recommendation, also. Saving money now will mean precious little when you're stranded on the side of the highway with a blown motor and an 18K# trailer behind you. Get it done right the first time then you'll have a great truck and peace of mind.

Latest posts

Members online