goosneck hitch location

Cuzmail

Reaction score
you can alos buy a new ball from B&W that moves the ball back about 4" i believe that is made for short bed trucks

I can't recall where, but the info I found when looking for a set back showed that the 4" ball set back was the weakest way to do it. Just looking at the design - it does seem like a potential failure point.

You are much better off getting a offset gooseneck or 5 wheel hitch receiver for the trailer. I bought a 13" setback and love it.

Shawn

chromehound

Reaction score
With my '01 crew shortbed it sat just in front of the axle as does the one in my '96 shortbed. I'd just buy the appropriate one because if you're ever in an accident with the trailer and it comes out that you ran a pieced together model that has parts for another truck mfg I'd bet you'd end up getting screwed.

moose99psd

Reaction score
i guess you guys got a point. i also have a 93 ford with the turnover hitch. would THAT one fit in my super duty?

center section should be the same but side plates will be diffrent. i used to install them and if i remember right we did them for around 459 installed, so there not that expensive for the whole thing.

DocBar

Reaction score
Are you dead set on a turn over hitch? We used to make our own goosneck hitches out of 10"-12" channel iron ( w/ 1/4" plate welded on top of that) welded to the frame rails directly over the rear axle. We used a nut that fit the 2 5/16" ball welded to the channel iron.
I pulled many 36' trailers loaded down with cattle, horses or hay and never had a single issue. Of course, the ball will be sticking up thru the bed, but it is removable if it needs to be.

Last edited:

littleredstroker

Reaction score
see and i kinda do have my mind set on a turnover ball. ever try and stack 2x4s or sheets of plywoood in the bed with a ball up? LOL. custruction is my buisiness we have a homeade dump trailoer thats a gooseneck and i pull a horse trailer often,(with someone elses truck :( ) i just put a flatbed on my gfs cummapart and she had a turnover that i thought i would try to make work. also have a 93 ford with one in it and thought i could make that work...