Got a 2014 Platinum today

Trevor300wsm

Reaction score
I've been thinking about trading in my 2011 KR for a few months now. I went to the dealership this morning and came home with a new project. It's a 2014 Platinum. It had 4 mils on it when I left the lot with it. Surprisingly, they offered me more for my trade than I expected. We still did some haggling back and forth, but I left happy.

Stopped and got the windows blacked out on the way home. Gonna start the transformation process tonight with some cab light and mirror black outs. Also need some Weather Tech mats. The lift, wheels, and tires will follow in a few weeks as I get time to shop for the best prices. Most likely going to do a 4.5 or 7" Icon lift. Maybe a stage 2 or 3? If any of the vendors here offer good prices for these lifts, let me know.

Here's a quick pic.

A8DEF13F-C045-4168-80CB-09326898E6BE.png

Last edited:

jdgleason

Reaction score
That truck's awesome! I can definitely get you some pricing on anything you need. Shoot me a pm with what you're looking for!

Also, I think that truck would look fantastic with some painted headlights :D

alradco

Reaction score
I like your style. Didn't even make it home stock. Very nice truck.

Reaction score
Awesome looking truck. I would love to help you build your entire package to get the truck how you want it. Please feel free to email me for prices and recommendations on anything that you might need.

My email is [email protected]

Here is a pic of some American Forces and an Icon Lift that I helped a fellow member get.
3e3u3ysy.jpg

Trevor300wsm

Reaction score
I appreciate all the comments guys. I have a couple questions.....hope they are not too dumb.

Can someone tell me the difference in going with the Icon w/ the 4 link setup versus going with the OUO Adjustable Link Arms? Benefits of one or the other?

Also, the headlights.......what are people doing nowadays? Buying complete lights that are blacked out or splitting them apart and painting inside? I've ran HID's in all my other trucks and I got to say these factory lights suck compared to what I've had. I want to go with HID's or maybe LED's and a cleared/blacked out look.

Last edited:

LovetheTide

Reaction score
Most people are splitting the headlights and painting to match. HID's would be an improvement but I would wait a couple weeks for some LED's to come out. Much easier to install with a lot less things to break.

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
I appreciate all the comments guys. I have a couple questions.....hope they are not too dumb.

Can someone tell me the difference in going with the Icon w/ the 4 link setup versus going with the OUO Adjustable Link Arms? Benefits of one or the other?

Also, the headlights.......what are people doing nowadays? Buying complete lights that are blacked out or splitting them apart and painting inside? I've ran HID's in all my other trucks and I got to say these factory lights suck compared to what I've had. I want to go with HID's or maybe LED's and a cleared/blacked out look.

I would get LED Headlights from Josh @ Diesel Cartel, thats who my lights are coming through.

Alos, the OUO ALA's will ride 10x better than the 4 Link, and will not have the added body roll you gain when going to a 4 link kit. Also, ALA's will articulate much better in a flex, offroad situation

Trevor300wsm

Reaction score
I ordered the Recon smoked cab light covers, Recon LED smoked replacement mirror lights, and some Weather-Tech floor liners.

With the help of a few members here, I've decided to go with the following lift/wheels/tires:

Icon Stage 3 4.5" lift
Icon TEI 1" spacer (5.5" lift in the front)
OUO Ajustable link arms
37-13.50x22 Toyo MT's
22x10 XD 810 Brigade wheels (machined face with black back)

I'm still getting price quotes from people, but hopefully I'll be able to have it installed by the end of the month.

Question......I've used Rock & Roll Off-Road in the past for my installs. They are about 115 miles away from me. Are there any other installers/vendors anybody recommends in the souther Oklahoma/North Texas area? I would love to have Truck Toyz do an install, but they are just too far away. Also, I'm fully capable of installing the lift myself. I've done several, but I'm at a point now where I feel it's money well spent to just let someone else do it.

The truck runs/drives like a dream. I've drove lifted trucks for the last 15 years and it's always so nice to enjoy the feel/ride of a stock vehicle for a while.......too bad they look like ****, or I'd sure leave it like it is.

Trevor300wsm

Reaction score
Just ordered a set of the Rigid D2 lights to put in the stock fog light locations. After shopping around I found that Amazon had the D2's for $305 and free shipping.

Trevor300wsm

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I want to paint my headlights to match. After checking around I discovered that people are charging a substantial amount for this service. I'm fairly mechanical and just can't justify giving someone $500 just to paint my lights when I'm pretty sure I can do a decent job. I realize there is a risk of ruining the light trying to split it apart, but I see alot of "less than skilled" kids doing it on YouTube, so I have no choice but to give it a shot. If I mess them up, I'll pick up a set off Craigslist for $200 and move on.

I went by Napa today and ordered a can of Duplicolor spray in factory Ford Ingot Silver. I'm going to get some etching primer. I'm going to see if I can locate someone with a soda blaster to use to remove the chrome instead of sanding. Soda should work well and not be too aggressive of a media.

I'm going to use a LED light from Retro Solutions for the turn signal. Not sure which one would be better. The round 60 light with a 360 degree throw or the LED with the front facing projection lens. Any thoughts on this? The bucket will be painted in this section and will offer no reflective surface for the light.

On the headlights, I guess I will have to leave this section of the bucket chrome or run a set of projectors. I have no experience with projectors so im not sure about them. Using a projector is the only way I can paint the entire light to match. If I don't use a projector, I'll leave the bottom of the bucket chrome and install a set of Morimoto 5K HID's since nobody seems to have a reliable set of LED headlights.

I'm always open to advice or opinions from anybody that is willing to give it.

Trevor300wsm

Reaction score
The wheels and tires are ordered.
37"-13.50x22 Toyo MT's
22x10 XD series 810 Brigade machined/black

Just a FYI......Tread Depot has very low prices and free shipping on most wheels & tires.

Trevor300wsm

Reaction score
I got the Rigid D2's installed today. Should be a nice upgrade over the factory fog lights. I received my wheels and tires already. The lift is ordered and ready to ship except for the piggyback shocks. Waiting on Icon to ship them.

80D2931F-48D8-42C1-A990-40F55C449B88.jpg

Latest posts

Members online