Got engine pulled. Broken oil coolers

Magnum PD

Reaction score
I was hoping the machinist was gonna call, but didn't.
Had a friend of mine who is familiar with building engines told me to "just run it". I don't see the machinist saying that, that cylinder is toast. Maybe I'm just wishful thinking.

97f350stroker

Reaction score
I wouldn't think the cylinder is necessarily toast but just me personally I'd be nervous as hell with a compromised piston in there possibly taking out the rest of my motor.

bluedge8

Reaction score
I would buy one piston, check the bore and run it. It is odd that Hypermax doesn't sell jets that don't hit with their rods

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Some do, some don't I think they said.

It would take a lot to match the other Pistons.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
I'm wondering if the "chip" from the piston, is in the oil cooler? Need to flush it out. Didn't really see anything in filter. At least the last one. Didn't check the one before.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Don't know how much it got chewed up either. But I'll check the cooler anyway.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
If could find what the weight was on the other Pistons, then send it off to get ceramic coated and anti friction on the skirts, I would have to pull the head and install it. Taking a head off the cometic gasket, I wonder if I would need a new gasket?

joe d

Reaction score
To me i would replace it you have spent all this time. Money and put your blood sweat and tears into this build.i think you owe it to yourself and your pocket to just replace it now. Or... Put it all back together hear it fire up and get that **** eating grin we all get go out and pound on it just for it to put a hole in the block and threw the hood. To me its an easy decision. Everyone is diffrent i wish you the best of luck.
Joe

Magnum PD

Reaction score
I want it to run and be reliable also. I'll let the machinist see it and give the final say.

joe d

Reaction score
I deffently dont wanna persuade your decision. Imho if the mechanic does not look at you and say it may work. But you need ro replace it. If he does not push the issue to replace it that may be why your in the situation in the first place.. I dont wanna piss you off or anyone its just an opinion. I just think the price of replacing that piston to the price of time and the whole engine when it lets go is just a no brainer. If the piston stays together forever you still know its not wright. You srill think of it everytime you hammer down and you srill know its not wright or balanced. Good luck
Joe

Last edited:

97f350stroker

Reaction score
^my thoughts exactly. I would be a nervous wreck everytime I hit the skinny pedal especially after putting all that money into rebuilding it.

joe d

Reaction score
I felt like i over stepped a boundary here with saying what i said how i said it and i Really hope i dont piss anyone off with what i said. But i felt like someone needed to say it.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Not sure where I can get a single .020 over piston with .010 decked surface.

cbf9703

Reaction score
Not sure where I can get a single .020 over piston with .010 decked surface.
Who have you called? Sometimes Swamps and the others will have issues come up with builds and will end up with misc parts and pieces in their engine room, they might cut you a deal if they've got one around.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

joe d

Reaction score
I dont know if where you got the rods sells pistons but thats where i would start after all its imo there fault overall. They should have attention clearance checks all over the place. Should have been a priority to tell you to check oil spouts. Even more so since they knew there were issues.

Latest posts

Members online