Grills

El chupacabra

Reaction score
I was thinking about cutting the center section of my grill out and mounting some stainless mesh or something in there has anyone done this?

Sent from my XT603 using Tapatalk 2

03 tx pwr stroke

Reaction score
Don't do it. I've seen a few like that and I don't think it really looked all that great. Just not a very clea look. JMO of course.

little luke

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345405993.707543.jpg I didn't use stainless. I wanted to leave the screen recessed in the grill like the stock honey comb but when you cut out the two center bars of the grill you'll leave 4 holes. This just seamed easier.

El chupacabra

Reaction score
its an xl grill well the whole truck is an xl i still am rocking the square old skool headlights lol. I think im gonna cut out past the two center posts so i dont have the 4 holes. cut close then belt sand so i dont end up with some jagged jackass cut. I'll post up pics of the process when I do it. I just got to find time to do it one of these days I spent the day yesterday undercoating the truck and painting the frame next weekend the taillights are getting the tint treatment.

-Jake-

Sniper32

Reaction score
Interested to see what you come up with..I really like the idea and the two example pics look nice but lke has been said, not clean enough for me. I just dont like the screw heads out like that.

Has anyone done/thought about mounting the screen flush then using fiberglass to attach it? that way you have a clean flush mounted screen on the grille.

weazel

Reaction score
I was rockin the XL front end with sealed beams tooImageUploadedByTapatalk1345432528.557440.jpg
Now it looks like that,

Translated from hillbilly, with tapatalk
Engineers clear the way!

AKHILF

Reaction score
heres the 03 I dont really have any good pictures but its what your wanting to do.
ce6f3640.jpg

then the 05 on the same truck
4c08de01.jpg

then the next 05 for the same truck
70554320.jpg

These were all stock grilles I cut up and drilled my holes. It just takes time and being careful. I liked them all still have the two 05 versions.If you have any questions hit me up

OSCS

Reaction score
Interested to see what you come up with..I really like the idea and the two example pics look nice but lke has been said, not clean enough for me. I just dont like the screw heads out like that.

Has anyone done/thought about mounting the screen flush then using fiberglass to attach it? that way you have a clean flush mounted screen on the grille.

I chose to have the screw heads poking out because I like the look. It would have actually been 100 times easier to just weld 8 bolts on the inside of the retainer and mount the mesh grille to the existing grille.. You've actually given me and idea as I have a couple spare grills laying around! Time to make another one.

619cec59.jpg

I would essentially leave it in this state powdercoated or PTM of course

Last edited:

Sniper32

Reaction score
I really like what you have going there!! Any way you would consider making one like that for an 04 and sell it??

AKHILF

Reaction score
For the style i'v been making it would be a lot easier not bolting it and drilling the holes. Thats that hardest part, getting them all spaced out perfect. The black grille I made I thought about not bolting it and just cutting the mesh to fit nice then using fuser you get from a paint shop supply store and putting a bead of it on all around on the inside. Only reason I went with the bolts is to add some shine to it and my wheels have bolts so it kinda ties in.

OSCS

Reaction score
For the style i'v been making it would be a lot easier not bolting it and drilling the holes. Thats that hardest part, getting them all spaced out perfect. The black grille I made I thought about not bolting it and just cutting the mesh to fit nice then using fuser you get from a paint shop supply store and putting a bead of it on all around on the inside. Only reason I went with the bolts is to add some shine to it and my wheels have bolts so it kinda ties in.

Man I couldn't agree more getting the spacing right and trying to avoid the clips on the back side was a nightmare.. I'm gonna try and weld a bolt on the inside and cut maybe 6-8 holes and bolt it on the inside and see how that looks

AKHILF

Reaction score
For mine if I remember right its 1.78" apart center to center of each bolt for mine. I thought about making a trim ring like you have. I run a plasma table and it would be easy to do, but I like the look with out better than the rbp's and all. To each their own though man who ever builds there own gets props from me its fun and its nice to say you built it.

Latest posts

Members online