GTP38R WW2 "Before" Testing...

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
So, finally found the time to get setup for the "before" testing. Installed the TurboMaster wastegate controller yesterday and got it adjusted. Today, put my daughters truck on the trailer and went out to do the datalogging runs.

Since I don't have a dyno and I really want to form my opinion on "driving" and "towing" (which is what most people are doing with these trucks), I'm using this setup along with a fixed speed (managed by cruise control) and a fixed route (logging started and stopped on specific landmarks) to collect the data. This particular drive is a mix of flat and some hills, mostly interested to see the differences in boost, backpressure and manifold air temp in "practical" real world driving. I put the truck and trailer on it to provide some load to make sure we were adequately working the setup.

The first picture shows the setup. The second picture shows one of the results of todays testing...UGH!

Attachments

• TestSetup.jpg
    TestSetup.jpg
    1,022.9 KB · Views: 271
  • FirstResult.jpg
    FirstResult.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 268

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
I did do a WOT run with the trailer on as well. Ran into traffic so I had to cut it shorter than planned...but I will duplicate it in the after to see. With the trailer and hill I was on, even a short run should be enough to see the difference.

Of course, the "after" testing will have to wait until I can find the time to remove all the tires from the trailer and get them replaced. I knew they were getting older, looks like the newest one is date coded in early 2008. Time for some better and fresh tires! Really sucks that I have to order a fender too!

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
It was a long day leading up to the test, and that just capped it. Luckily it happened about 2.5 miles from the shop...so I limped it there and was able to use a floor jack and shop air to get the spare on...rather than trying to do it on the side of the road.

The fender pisses me off more than anything.

1ofakind79

Reaction score
Im also very interested to see what happens. That sucks about the frender. I had the same thing happen to me in Oct on my way to a wheeling trip. Then again on the way home. :wtf:

bigfords

Reaction score
Good looking trucks! On a side note, how long is your trailer? Does it fit a CCLB dually?

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
That trailer is a 20'. I've never tried to put a CCLB on it, if it did fit, it would certainly be hanging over the rear of the trailer. I would prefer a longer trailer for a truck that long. I wish that I had a 24'.

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
That trailer is a 20'. I've never tried to put a CCLB on it, if it did fit, it would certainly be hanging over the rear of the trailer. I would prefer a longer trailer for a truck that long. I wish that I had a 24'.

My '86 CCLB is 21ft bumper to bumper. Hauled it on a 20ft deck a couple times, but isn't ideal.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
Progress...

1. Trailer has all new tires. Going to get a new fender for it today. Still pissed about that!

2. Finally made the time to pull the turbo. Decided to check the balance of the stock wheel first, it was way off...pretty much explains the "howling" noise that it's had since it put it on the dually. Just to be clear, this is NOT a Garrett problem though...this turbo had been on my race truck and when the built motor went in, it sat on my shelf for close to 2 years doing nothing. When I decided to put it in the dually, I had the turbo guys go through it and re-seal it...but I specifically told them not to rebalance it (since it had been sent to Garrett and hand balanced by someone there...and was perfectly quiet when I pulled it off the old race engine). Not sure if it somehow got clocked wrong on reassembly, but after being apart and reassembled it wasn't the same...no signs of damage so it's strange for sure. Guess I should have had them balance it back then...reaffirms my belief that just removing and installing wheels (even the same wheel on the same shaft) is enough to throw the balance off.

3. Installed the WW and checked the balance. It was off a bit, but not as bad as the wheel I was removing. None the less, it did take some balancing to get it "perfect". I think we had it on and off the balancer 4-5 times before it was finally right.

I've got a bunch of "running around town" to do today, so we'll see how it behaves and sounds that way first. Hoping to get the time to hook up the trailer and do my "after" testing this Saturday.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
Initial thoughts...

1. MUCH quieter (thankfully!)
2. Less noise on stall (say during a shift)
3. Feel like it pulls through stall better...have a spot on my drive home to better test this.

Most of my driving was "around the city", so not much chance to really play. Will try some WOT pulls then. The real proof for me will be when I hook up the trailer and run my datalog route. So far, encouraging.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
First I tried spinning it in my fingers while balancing on a bathroom scale...but that didn't seem to be working...

Then I tried spinning it on a table like a dreidel, figuring that the better I got the balance the faster and longer it would go...not so much...

Finally I went to my Garrett distributor, since he's a full Garrett Performance and Rebuild shop with balancing equipment...much more effective.

LOL...sorry, feeling a bit sarcastic today.

Lowdown89

Reaction score
First I tried spinning it in my fingers while balancing on a bathroom scale...but that didn't seem to be working...

Then I tried spinning it on a table like a dreidel, figuring that the better I got the balance the faster and longer it would go...not so much...

Finally I went to my Garrett distributor, since he's a full Garrett Performance and Rebuild shop with balancing equipment...much more effective.

The dreidel trick didnt work for you? That's how we do all of ours around here !

lincolnlocker

Reaction score

you do have a smartazz side to ya... lol.. i ment are you just balancing the wheel alone, or the turbo as a whole? just wondered cuz i thought someone told me that the 38r couldnt be balanced anywhere in the USA?

live life full throttle

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
Complete rotating assembly.

Not sure why someone said that, my guys balance Garrett BB turbos (all different sizes and configurations) all day, every day.

nasty6.6

Reaction score
Initial thoughts...

1. MUCH quieter (thankfully!)
2. Less noise on stall (say during a shift)
3. Feel like it pulls through stall better...have a spot on my drive home to better test this.

Most of my driving was "around the city", so not much chance to really play. Will try some WOT pulls then. The real proof for me will be when I hook up the trailer and run my datalog route. So far, encouraging.

DID THIS QUIET IT DOWN ANY???????:fustrate:
WASNT SURE IF THIS POST WAS AFTER INSTALL OR IF IT WAS A HOPE LOL

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
price for doing that?
That's going to depend if it's a new or used turbo. If used, there is additional cleaning to make sure the bearings don't get contaminated...so there is more labor. As for new, I'm working with them to finalize a "38R with WW2 Pre-Installed" price.

DID THIS QUIET IT DOWN ANY???????:fustrate:
WASNT SURE IF THIS POST WAS AFTER INSTALL OR IF IT WAS A HOPE LOL
Yes, it is a LOT quieter! Still has some sound, but I'd bet my camera won't even pick it up at this point.

Latest posts

Members online