GTP38R WW2 "Before" Testing...

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
That's going to depend if it's a new or used turbo. If used, there is additional cleaning to make sure the bearings don't get contaminated...so there is more labor. As for new, I'm working with them to finalize a "38R with WW2 Pre-Installed" price.

Yes, it is a LOT quieter! Still has some sound, but I'd bet my camera won't even pick it up at this point.

used, like 120k miles used with the new ww in it already, price to get balanced?

are you saying the balancing alone made it quieter or the wheel itself is already that quiet?

Tom S

Reaction score
Dennis, do you know what kind of balancer they use? I have seen a couple of kinds with the fancy one being at Turbonetics several years ago. VSR or similar kinda sounds correct somehow. I have always been very interested in the comments about noise and balancing on the 38r.

neverkickn

Reaction score
I just put a 38r and ww2 on yesterday. There is no whistle, and up till the point that something started leaking, there was no howl. Something is wrong now though because it is howling at around 3 to 5 psi and isn't making good power. Hoping to get it figured out tomorrow.

Bigsexy

Reaction score
Mine has a slight howl between 1 to 5 but I've checked for leaks and replaced all my boots. The truck drives and pulls like a whole new truck, I'm happy with the new wheel.

Bigsexy

Reaction score
Sorry 38r right now, I swapped my stocker with the wheel to see if I would notice a differance in new wheels.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
used, like 120k miles used with the new ww in it already, price to get balanced?

are you saying the balancing alone made it quieter or the wheel itself is already that quiet?
I will have to check, but with shipping 2 ways, teardown, cleaning, balancing, reassembly...probably going to be $200-250 total. To be honest, I'm not sure it makes sense for people to send me used turbos to do...you'd be better off finding a qualified turbo shop near you so you don't have the extra cost and downtime of shipping the turbo.

I believe that most of the change was the wheel, and some of the noise reduction was due to the fact that my stock wheel was so far out of balance. I believe that my stock wheel would have been quieter if I'd had them rebalance it...but it would have still performed like a stock wheel.

Dennis, do you know what kind of balancer they use? I have seen a couple of kinds with the fancy one being at Turbonetics several years ago. VSR or similar kinda sounds correct somehow. I have always been very interested in the comments about noise and balancing on the 38r.
Tom, I think TN has the type of balancer that works on a fully assembled cartridge. My guys do not, it's a Hein (I think that's right) balancer, the turbo has to be disassembled and just the rotating assembly put on the balancer.

I just put a 38r and ww2 on yesterday. There is no whistle, and up till the point that something started leaking, there was no howl. Something is wrong now though because it is howling at around 3 to 5 psi and isn't making good power. Hoping to get it figured out tomorrow.
Mine does have a "wooden train whistle" type sound in the 1-5psi range as well. Based on your comment and the one below...seems that might be normal for this wheel.

so it doesn't have the same whine/whiny howl it had before?
Mine is not even close to as loud and "howly" as before.

No your normal 38r sound is gone. You still hear it but its more of an air sound and not bad at all
There is a distince "turbo whine", but now loud. There is the "whistle" sound we all seem to be hearing at low boost and I do hear the "air rushing" (as people are describing it) as well. None of them are obnoxious though.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
So, I have a programming issue in my truck that I have not made the time to address (I know, it only takes a minute). Under certain throttle positions, the TC locks up at the same time as the 3-4 shift. This makes for a awesome display of compressor stall...like from 25psi to 5psi right now (as the truck falls on it's face, gets mad, downshifts and then takes off again).

That was with the stock wheel. I intentionally made it do it with the WW this morning...boost only dropped to 15psi and while it still downshifted, it never fell on it's face. Interesting to say the least.

I'm not changing ANYTHING about the programming or setup (adjustable wastegate) until after I do my "after" testing...I want it all to be identical.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
Oh yea, so far, I have not been able to make it surge. Not saying it won't, haven't had the trailer on it...so that remains to be seen.

neverkickn

Reaction score
Mine does have a "wooden train whistle" type sound in the 1-5psi range as well. Based on your comment and the one below...seems that might be normal for this wheel.

That is a good way to describe it. I just presurized my charge air side and found no leaks. I pulled the charger and checked the collector and everything looked good there too. I have yet to check the up pipe flanges for leakage but I assume they will be good too. I guess it is just the wheel, but after hearing all the descriptions of how a 38r sounds with a stock wheel, I have to say that it sounds nothing like that.

On a side note, never having run a bb turbo before I don't know, but is it normal for it to make a lot of noise after shut off when it is spinning down. Mine makes a sound that is not quite like grinding but kinda similar to that. It spins freely and the wheels havn't made contact anywhere, but it just sounds a little wierd to me.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
On a side note, never having run a bb turbo before I don't know, but is it normal for it to make a lot of noise after shut off when it is spinning down. Mine makes a sound that is not quite like grinding but kinda similar to that. It spins freely and the wheels havn't made contact anywhere, but it just sounds a little wierd to me.
IMO, any sound that is like "grinding" at shutdown is NOT normal. I can hear mine spin down, but it's more of the "air" noise than anything.

So how is performance during normal driving so far? any temp improvements?
Hard to say, I'm not one that pays attention to "normal driving" temps. I do have a hill I like to test on and I put my foot to the floor from 75mph to something over 100mph on it last night. Might have been a few psi higher boost than the stock wheel, but temps seemed about the same. With my injectors and tuning, the temps (unloaded) generally flatline around 1200-1250°F.

That said, in my "before" testing I did do a WOT pull with the trailer on that same hill. I was only able to make it to 85mph (from 72mph) because of traffic, but I will replicate that pull in the "after" testing so I can compare the logs and see what the "loaded" difference is.

Tom S

Reaction score
Dennis yes TN did have the ballancer that ran the cartridge assembled with an oil hook up and I think it spun up the turbo on compressed air. I think I have photos of it somewhere. I will see if I can find those for fun.

I have also seen that other kind of balancer at shop here locally as well.

In Edit I found it:

DSCN1417.JPG

http://www.turboneticsinc.com/vsr

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online