GTP38R WW2 "Before" Testing...

neverkickn

Reaction score
IMO, any sound that is like "grinding" at shutdown is NOT normal. I can hear mine spin down, but it's more of the "air" noise than anything.

I put the d66 back on with the ww2 and the howl is gone. It barly even whistles, and the compressor shroud is a bored out ats housing. I guess I am gonna have to get the 38r checked out.

Do you know if a new out of the box 38r will make any noise when you spin the wheel by hand? I could hear bearing noise in this one right out of the box.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I put the d66 back on with the ww2 and the howl is gone. It barly even whistles, and the compressor shroud is a bored out ats housing. I guess I am gonna have to get the 38r checked out.

Do you know if a new out of the box 38r will make any noise when you spin the wheel by hand? I could hear bearing noise in this one right out of the box.

wooooeeee no way it should make noise... hell should be so little drag on it that you could lightly blow on the compressor wheel and the sum bich will spin freely.

live life full throttle

neverkickn

Reaction score
wooooeeee no way it should make noise... hell should be so little drag on it that you could lightly blow on the compressor wheel and the sum bich will spin freely.

live life full throttle

Yeah, something is wrong. I got it boxed up and it is going to the turbo shop today.

JSchuricht

Reaction score
Hey Dennis, does your shaft taper to a larger diameter after the threads like mine? Having a bit of a fitment issue, that's why I am curious.

sP1020530.jpg

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
I don't remember, but I do know that my turbo guy cleaned and lubed the shaft before putting the wheel on, seemed like a tight fit.

neverkickn

Reaction score
Hey Dennis, does your shaft taper to a larger diameter after the threads like mine? Having a bit of a fitment issue, that's why I am curious.

sP1020530.jpg

If you haven't finished the install yet be careful putting the new wheel on. If you push too hard you will push the turbine shaft out of the center section.

JSchuricht

Reaction score
I stopped when it wouldn't slide on. Per Bob there is a bit of a tolerance in the shafts from Garrett so he's sending me out a new wheel.

HBDELUX

Reaction score
Dennis sorry about digging this thread up but did you ever get around to making a full pull on that hill With the trailer hooked up?

I ask because I wonder if there is any increase in surge/stall issues vs the stock 38r wheel. I am thinking about upgrading to the 38r WW2 wheel to tame some of the noise Down. But that would only happen if there were no increase in surge/stall. My truck is used to pull my toyhauler up to the Rim and Flag. I dont want to surge/stall the turbo pulling those grades with a load hooked.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
I pull 10k lbs with my WW2/38r set up on a near daily basis and the is absolutely no surge at all. Can't make it happen if I tried.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
I don't think I ever got that done, before selling the truck. Sorry. I can say that I was never able to make it surge...and I could make the stock wheel surge with no load and just a hill.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Ive hauled close to 20k behind the dually and I couldn't get it to surge! Rarely but occasion with the stock wheel id get surge hauling my 12k 5th wheel.

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online