hard or no start with a p1670

Dzchey21

Reaction score
supposedly thats what was in it before but i dunno, he hasnt had the truck 3000 miles

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
I have Schaffer 9000 in my 97, and FWIW, I'm goin back to 7000 next oil change.

No hard data, I just like how it runs on a 15-40w better.

The wife's 6.0 on the other hand, 9000 is a big difference.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
supposedly thats what was in it before but i dunno, he hasnt had the truck 3000 miles

10-4. Just curious to see if it made much difference.... my 7.3s start very well on delo 15-40 and actually better then
some full synthetic oils.

I have Schaffer 9000 in my 97, and FWIW, I'm goin back to 7000 next oil change.

No hard data, I just like how it runs on a 15-40w better.

The wife's 6.0 on the other hand, 9000 is a big difference.

Most heui engines do that... hell, my two 7.3s run different with the same oil in them....

live life full throttle

Dzchey21

Reaction score
so the truck has been much better, but the other day it wouldnt start, cranked and cranked nothing, checked glow relay and it was all good. went inside for a bit, came back out, fired right up... WTF?

I noticed there is oil behind the ICP plug, so im going to replace that tomorrow.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
so the truck has been much better, but the other day it wouldnt start, cranked and cranked nothing, checked glow relay and it was all good. went inside for a bit, came back out, fired right up... WTF?

I noticed there is oil behind the ICP plug, so im going to replace that tomorrow.

Unplug it and see if it still messes up.

live life full throttle

Dzchey21

Reaction score
The truck had already started at that point and once it started it might have to sit for 3 days or more before it does it again.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Next time it sits for a while, and before you start cranking on it, pull the plug on top of the hpop and see how full it is...

live life full throttle

golfer

Reaction score
...or watch the factory dummy LPOil gauge (upper left corner of cluster) while cranking.

if the dummy gauge doesn't jump up within a few engine rev's while cranking..or doesn't come up until after the truck starts...then you have a 'leak' in the oil system...could be a leak in the HPOil system or a leak in the LPOil system. (internal leak, not external)

the reservoir is the highest point of engine oil on/in the engine...so the weight of that oil can push past any compromised component (inj poppet valve, inj o-ring, IPR, IPR o-ring, LPOPump gerotors, LPOPump to front cover, etc, etc)...and drain the reservoir.

without oil in the reservoir...the LPOP will have to prime the reservoir before the HPOPump has any oil to 'work with', everytime the truck sits (typ more than 5-8 hours)..which can/will cause extended cranks prior to the engine starting.

also if the truck sounds 'quiet' or slightly rough/uneven after it does start...that's also an indication that there is air in the HPOil system due to the injs/HPOP getting air (mixed w/ oil) instead of just HPoil.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Low pressure guage comes right up as well as ICP when i monitor it. Im thinking i need to do all the injectors but this guys not really wanting to buy a full set. I think number 5 is my next go as far as that goes (weakest on the buzz test now) but they are all lower than number 7 that i just installed

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Low pressure guage comes right up as well as ICP when i monitor it. Im thinking i need to do all the injectors but this guys not really wanting to buy a full set. I think number 5 is my next go as far as that goes (weakest on the buzz test now) but they are all lower than number 7 that i just installed

Thats good then.. at least ya know oil pressures are good....

live life full throttle

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Personally i think the IDM is dying but i might be wrong

this morning and when i left work cold, it would cut out for a half a second like the ingnition was cut and then come back on, did it about 3 times leaving for work, and leaving work tonight, after that it was fine, never did it again. This cold no start deal acts like its not firing the injectors because it wont even smoke even tho it has good oil pressure.

Also one of the times it wouldnt start i did a buzz test, and then it fired right up.

co04cobra

Reaction score
Personally i think the IDM is dying but i might be wrong

this morning and when i left work cold, it would cut out for a half a second like the ingnition was cut and then come back on, did it about 3 times leaving for work, and leaving work tonight, after that it was fine, never did it again. This cold no start deal acts like its not firing the injectors because it wont even smoke even tho it has good oil pressure.

Also one of the times it wouldnt start i did a buzz test, and then it fired right up.

I had suggested checking the hpop reservoir quite a while ago, BUT I think you have more then 1 issue going on.

Next time it sets pull that plug just to see if its low or empty. I also think that you may have something going on with the idm.

Curiosity, have you changed or know where the cps in the truck is from?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I had suggested checking the hpop reservoir quite a while ago, BUT I think you have more then 1 issue going on.

Next time it sets pull that plug just to see if its low or empty. I also think that you may have something going on with the idm.

Curiosity, have you changed or know where the cps in the truck is from?

It had a grey cps in it, i changed it for a new grey one anyway just to cover my ass, figured a spare in the glovebox wouldnt hurt

Next time its here and it sits ill check. The problem is 9 times out of 10 it starts great, its just that once and awhile no start that takes FOREVER to come out of it.

I bought a used IDM to try and see what happens.

BTW thanks for the input so far guys

StockCar#10

Reaction score
It had a grey cps in it, i changed it for a new grey one anyway just to cover my ass, figured a spare in the glovebox wouldnt hurt

Next time its here and it sits ill check. The problem is 9 times out of 10 it starts great, its just that once and awhile no start that takes FOREVER to come out of it.

I bought a used IDM to try and see what happens.

BTW thanks for the input

I have an idm you could of used :shrug:

Dzchey21

Reaction score
well im still battling this pile of ****
It now has a p0344 code for camshaft, i did put a new cps in it awhile back and an injector and since then it cuts out every so often like the key is shut off for half of a second, runs fine, never stalls out. I also still have this p1670 which i think is related to the camshaft code.

Today i went to get it because he said the a/c stopped working (which he was right) and it wouldnt start, same as before, he said this is the first time he's let it sit long enough to have this problem, only does this when it sits for extended period of time (2days) Truck ran super rough once it finally started. Right bank was much colder on the manifold on the left. (like it has been before) im getting ready to just replace the right side injectors and see what the *** happens, and maybe thro the old CPS in it too.