Has anyone done the 7.3 fan clutch adaptor to the 6.0

showsome400099

Reaction score
hey I was wondering if anyone has done the 7.3 conversion fan clutch to there 6.0 if so what are the pros and cons to doing it and also what codes if any will it throw thanks in advance and all advice will be greatly appreciated

valvetick

Reaction score
If you unplug the fan the truck throws a silent code so no CEL will show up but a scanner will pull a fan non communication code. Another option is to wire the fan to the up fitter switch and turn it on when you feel like before climbing hills towing etc and then shut it off and let the computer control it the rest of the time to keep the noise down. The 7.3 fan will be louder since it will stay locked up more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zmann

Reaction score
the override will also throw a soft code

another option if you need a clutch is the snowplow fan clutch it is more aggressive

it was developed to keep the fan from spinning backwards when the plow is in the upright position and at freeway speeds

you can run the override switch with it also

valvetick

Reaction score
the override will also throw a soft code

another option if you need a clutch is the snowplow fan clutch it is more aggressive

it was developed to keep the fan from spinning backwards when the plow is in the upright position and at freeway speeds

you can run the override switch with it also

This is exactly what I have. Snow plow clutch is little stiffer so the fan spins more when the computer isn't commanding lock up. And I added the lock up switch to turn on before I hit the hills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merc82

Reaction score
I'm thinking of giving the adaptor a try. My buddy has got it and said it helped his AC immensely.

Zmann

Reaction score
not trying to sway you but the snow plow clutch is supposed to help AC also

Reaction score
Healthy stock fan clutch should keep up with a/c just fine. If you have an sct you can have the fan clutch on Temps adjusted in a custom tune. I usually have them set at 215.

Zmann

Reaction score
"should keep up" I live in AZ
even Strictly Diesel stated on AZPSG "the Snowplow clutch should be mandatory on an AZ truck" and I agree
sitting in traffic you can tell a difference when you flip the override and lock up the fan ( no duh i know )

IMO the more aggressive nature of the plow clutch at idle will naturally draw more air over the condenser creating cooler in cab temp

04MT

Reaction score
I used the 7.3 fan setup for awhile but didn't care for the extra fan noise. I went with the plow clutch instead. I have the adapter and a heavy duty 7.3 clutch if your interested

Merc82

Reaction score
I used the 7.3 fan setup for awhile but didn't care for the extra fan noise. I went with the plow clutch instead. I have the adapter and a heavy duty 7.3 clutch if your interested

I am, thinking of going this route.

scparrish

Reaction score
I run the 7.3 fan clutch with no issues. It will help with the ac when at idle in traffic. It is also more noisy at startup until it warms up a bit. After that the noise is really not much greater than the factory setup.

Reaction score
I am, thinking of going this route.
Why would you use the entire 7.3fan, I understand the clutch, but the 6.0 fan moves more air, a lot of guys put the 6.0 fan on the 7.3 to keep their temps down better

06-6.0l, studded, reworked heads, egr ******, blue spring mod, 6.4 banjos, dummy plugs, stand pipe, upgraded stc fitting, New oil cooler, New ipr, New icp, atlas 40 FICM, stage 1 powermax, and Looney wild, 325/65R18

Merc82

Reaction score
Why would you use the entire 7.3fan, I understand the clutch, but the 6.0 fan moves more air, a lot of guys put the 6.0 fan on the 7.3 to keep their temps down better

06-6.0l, studded, reworked heads, egr ******, blue spring mod, 6.4 banjos, dummy plugs, stand pipe, upgraded stc fitting, New oil cooler, New ipr, New icp, atlas 40 FICM, stage 1 powermax, and Looney wild, 325/65R18

I don't intend on using the entire assembly. Just the 7.3 clutch and the adaptor.

Reaction score
Oh sorry, misinterpreted what you were saying

Latest posts

Members online