head studs with cab on

junglejoe

Reaction score
Any of you done studds and gaskets with the cab on? I can do the work myself, but I have no way to remove the cab so I would have to do it with the cab on if its doable for the average Joe. AND if any of you have done it.. would you do it again?

Strokethis213

Reaction score
I have done 4-5 jobs with the cab it's very easy in my opinion removing the ax box frees a whole bunch of room to work (5 bolts in the cab) I would never lift the cab some people always lift the cab but I was like you and had no access to a lift or anything. The only thing that is tough is the bolt on the driver side head against the firewall has to come out with the head and the stud has to go in when the head is re installed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

78f100

Reaction score
I have done it without pulling the cab, but only once in the truck. I didn't enjoy it ...lol. But I'm used to doing it with the cab off at the shop. We have ambulances sometimes that we can't pull the cab so we usually pull the motor out the front and do all the work with the engine on the floor then re install. It's a lot harder to be clean prepping the block with the cab on imo but it can be done. You will have a sore back.

Reaction score
Any of you done studds and gaskets with the cab on? I can do the work myself, but I have no way to remove the cab so I would have to do it with the cab on if its doable for the average Joe. AND if any of you have done it.. would you do it again?

I never pull the cabs on a 6.0, always take the motor out through the front. Reason is, every truck I do headgaskets on gets a new set of lifters, which requires the rear cover to be removed.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I usaually pull the evaporator, not the entire box like strokethis. When doing it that way, the rear bottom bolt needs to stay with the head on both sides. I typically do them cab on, motor in, as i can typically have the heads off in an hour and a half or so. Ive done one set cab off, and it came back a couple times ith popping noises, and it took longer than in frame.

junglejoe

Reaction score
Cool... I was just wondering. Not sure I want to tackle this. I'm waiting on the shop to get caught up that's going to do it.. If I can wait that long. Thanks guys for the info.
Anyone recommend a shop in or near Missouri by chance that they trust?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I never pull the cabs on a 6.0, always take the motor out through the front. Reason is, every truck I do headgaskets on gets a new set of lifters, which requires the rear cover to be removed.

So then I take it your on the lifters fail side as opposed to the cam failing first side? I'm still perplexed on this issue

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I believe it's lifter first.

Just some food for thought. Here's a 7.3

iLRuS1r.jpg

And my 6
DuWe6q1.jpg

Both cases the roller was perfect except pitting, but the roller bearings were fine... I'm 50/50 here cause sometimes I pull apart lifters where the roller is in half and cam lobe is slightly worn.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.