Help dies when hot. No restart

B.A.D Performance

Reaction score
ok quick run down. just rebuilt this motor everything is new. on first fire up it was perfect no problems. drove it around maybe an hour or so. the next day drove it some more. let the truck idle for a minute to pop the hood and check for leaks. truck died and wouldnt restart.

I have it narrowed down to a high pressure oil problem.
base oil pressure gets up to 60psi
oil resivoir is full
with the scanner hooked up when hot it only builds 400psi at 90%
so I tried unplugging the icp sensor. no change
changed the icp sensor, no change
cleaned the ipr no change
changed the ipr pigtail no change
brand new injectors. unplugged all injectors turned motor over. none were pissing oil.
checked all 4 oil rail plugs under the valve covers. all where good.

yet when the motor is stone cold it will start and purr like a kitten. idle at 530psi at 13%. then gets up to temp and icp drops and truck dies wont restart.

im figuring if my stealth hpop was bad then the truck wouldn't run at all.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I don't know what else to check

B.A.D Performance

Reaction score
and when I can get it to fire it idles perfect. rev it up the pump puts out 2500psi plus in park. so I cant imagine it being the pump

Obsledpuller

Reaction score
If the pump is bad it can present with the same symptoms I had a twin pump setup that did the same thing and found it to be one of the pumps was bad. If the tolerances are out it will build pressure when cold but when it gets hot it will not because the clearance between is too great. A quick and easy way to test this is to get the truck hot and when it won't start get a cool damp washcloth or towell and put it on the pump if it starts right up then you've found you're problem. Hope this helps just my experience with this kind of problem.

B.A.D Performance

Reaction score
I even and test each cylinder head separately no leaks at the orings. visual inspection they still look brand new

B.A.D Performance

Reaction score
Could it be possible for the electromagnet on the ipr be bad?
I only ask because I check the pressure with magnet on then ipr. Then I completely removed it from the ipr and turned the motor over. The icp and ipr readings were identical.

Reaction score
Sounds just like how my billet stealth was doing. Start and run great while cold. Once hot it missed. No restart while hot. But run the water hose over it for a sec and it would start right up. I even sent it back to Gary. He had it for 3 months sent it back and did same crap. I have given up on stealth pumps!

Powerstroker7.3

Reaction score
My stealth did the same thing yours was doing. When hot the truck would not start. I ended up sending the pump back to stealth so they could fix it then sold it and bought an adrenaline. I have had nothing but problems out of my stealth when I had it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B.A.D Performance

Reaction score
Well I tried cooling the pump. No change still would on build 400psi at 90%.
I just cant believe the pump is bad. Prior to the engine rebuild had absolutely zero issues.
I even poured ice water directly on the pump then wrapped it in a wet rag. No change. Its almost like the motor has to be ice cold to fire

Reaction score
Well I tried cooling the pump. No change still would on build 400psi at 90%.
I just cant believe the pump is bad. Prior to the engine rebuild had absolutely zero issues.
I even poured ice water directly on the pump then wrapped it in a wet rag. No change. Its almost like the motor has to be ice cold to fire

It's time to start checking the heads for oil leaking past the injectors. You can try blocking off one hpo line at a time and see if it will fire. At 90% dc you have a massive leak some where.

B.A.D Performance

Reaction score
Thats the thing. I have checked all the injector orings twice. Literally pulled all the injectors. They are brand-new. Then I air tested each head. Didnt hear any leaks. Then I unplugged the injector harness and turned the motor over. None of the injectors were shooting oil out of the spout so im sure I dont have a stuck poppet valve

V-Ref

Reaction score
I read your post where you cleaned the IPR....you might try a new one. If it doesn't fix it, you have a spare for your road kit.

It also might be worth checking the torque on the hpop gear...that's not keyed...if it "worked loose" after a couple heat cycles that would be causing your issues too. Torque that gear down tight.

Those would be two relatively easy things I'd check before trying another hpop.

B.A.D Performance

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Headed to my shop now. The pump gear has crossed my mind. Ill check that as well. And a new ipr for sure

B.A.D Performance

Reaction score
Ok pump gear was more then tight. Decided to try and start it. Oil temp was 79 degrees fired right up. Runs perfect. Idles perfect. Gunna let it run till it shuts off. See what oil temp it is when it dies

Latest posts

Members online