Help with code p0087 rail pressure too low

kicker417

Reaction score
What could have cause this code to come on I was driving goin about 55mph and the check engine light came on and also it a made sound like if it was starving for diesel( loud tapping) and one more thing the truck also has 3/4 tank of diesel so in other words it was not low on diesel.

bigsix300

Reaction score
OK this is what the description of the code. This error will be set if the fuel pressure in the rail is too low and the controller cannot regulate it to the set point. Also this is the service instructions. Low pressure system, wiring to VCV and PCV, FUP sensor, pump. Also got this the other day i was afraid of it being the hpfp though I had not changed the filter since i had gotten the truck which i hadn't put many miles on the truck. So i replaced the fuel filters. The code did not come back nor the noise. I would say replace the filters first and if its still noisy and getting the code I would think maybe the low pressure fuel pump.

bigsix300

Reaction score
Ok well that's prolly not the problem I've read of problems with the harness going to the hpfp but it usually came with other codes. Have you checked pressure with your mini max?

Thumbed out on my infected phone.

kicker417

Reaction score
What kind of pressure should I be looking for and what is it under on the mini max.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I dont think you can watch rail pressure

Change your fuel filters
More than likely its a low pressure fuel system issue

bigsix300

Reaction score
What kind of pressure should I be looking for and what is it under on the mini max.

Its under Fuel Rail Pressure or ICP it doesnt show direct PSI think its bar or something it shows like 8 at idle on mine. But, I would hafto recheck to confirm it I was 75 miles out of town when mine started knocking a lil bit but as soon as i'd shut it off it would quiet up. The truck is pretty new to me and hadnt changed the fuel filters so sounded more like a FF issue. Yours may be different I knew you said your FF is only 10000 old but if somehow you got some crappy fuel it could still clog it up. Definitely drain some fuel out of your Fuel Conditioning Module and see if there is any crap in there. If there is I'd say try changing the filters and go from there.

kicker417

Reaction score
Ok will I will replace the filters then. But the truck will run fine with out making any noise and then it starts again then couple of miles down the road the light pops up again and stay on and you can tell when it's acting up because of the noise and on the icp I believe on wot I am at 24 And idle 7to8

Scottbigred

Reaction score
What update are you running from H&S? Jan 19th was when the latest update came out and part of it was to address the P0087 code.

skolness

Reaction score
The latest tune version is 6.4.29, if you dont have it up to date i would highly suggest doing it before you continue further.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.