hey guys truck started smoking

dsberman94

Reaction score
OK. this is easy. DO NOT DRIVE THE TRUCK.
Park truck out of your way.
Remove intercooler piping.
Remove valve covers.
Unplug the injectors and glow plugs and might as well get the whole gasket and harness out of the way.
Find upper injector hold down bolt and remove it.
Pull the injector hold down up with your fingers while you get a small pry at under it and push on the pry at to remove the injector.
Repeat the last step 7 more times. Remove all 8 glow plugs.
Post pictures of the injectors on here and it'll help us figure out whether its a washer or tip. Should be pretty obvious if it's a washer on the end of the injector though.
Then go from there. Either need the injectors worked on or just need 8 injector oring kits from ford.

At 250k miles if it hasn't been done already you might as well order new valve cover gaskets and UVCHs as well as glow plugs. It really is a simple process and can be done with a mid-size craftsman tool set.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Mine still "work" just fine with 250k miles but the idle is getting rough (i didnt think so but when just switching to a set of pis reman 250/200% the idle improved ten fold) and it kinda smokes like they arent spraying all that well. Im going to get them remanned to 160/30. Those worked nice in two projects i was involved with. Perfect little upgrade.

Berman, you dikcweed, be quiet. You dont take the top ***kin bolt out!! I repeat, the top bolt stays in!! You "hang" the injector off the top bolt in the "keyhole" on the hold down. Then you pop the injector in with the palm of your hand. The hold down will return to its rightful spot when the injector is seated.

Then after you get that done, ignore Berman. Forever.

Berman, you should ****** your post. Its wrong.

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Remove valve covers.
Unplug the injectors and glow plugs and might as well get the whole gasket and harness out of the way.
Pull the injector hold down up with your fingers while you get a small pry at under it and push on the pry at to remove the injector.
Post pictures of the injectors on here and it'll help us figure out whether its a washer or tip. Should be pretty obvious if it's a washer on the end of the injector though.
Then go from there. Either need the injectors worked on or just need 8 injector oring kits from ford.

At 250k miles if it hasn't been done already you might as well order new valve cover gaskets and UVCHs as well as glow plugs. It really is a simple process and can be done with a mid-size craftsman tool set.

Orrrrrrrr, did you really put your injectors in upside down?

dsberman94

Reaction score
Orrrrrrrr, did you really put your injectors in upside down?

I always say that backwards when I'm explaining it but when I look at it I always know how to do it. Bolt to remove is the lower one. Upper bolt stays. And no, they're in the right way with the blue plug in #8.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Well its kind of an important detail ***k all up. Maybe think about it before you commit.

I don't know anything about a blue plug.

dsberman94

Reaction score
#8 injector is the long lead one with the blue plastic plug on the solenoid. Supposedly quieter. I wasn't expecting one with the PIS sticks but I got one anyway.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Again. Couldn't tell ya. Mines never been that way. In fact none ive seen have had any blue.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Nah....there are a handful of people that attempt injector how to's and instruct the wrench to remove the top bolts. You xant let that sit. I honestly could only read 60% of his post.

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
Soooo I can just slap them back in and crank it up right?! Hahaha

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

dsberman94

Reaction score
I felt going any farther would be more confusing for the OP. Especially since there's going to be longer wait times waiting for parts etc. There's 9.43 million write ups, question threads, walkthroughs, and videos of 7.3 injector changes that can be looked up and watched or read as well.
Once the word hydrolock was read there shouldn't even have been another "can I drive it?" post.

rsater1

Reaction score
I have replaced vc and glow plug last year am familiar with the process just in denial SORRY.!!! not a good time a really don't have a choice .. kid got to get to school .im saving as we speak but I don't want to settle for OEM sticks looking to get 220 or 250 cc have 38r and I know that they are about off the map for turbo ..but im not sure that I wont change to t4 mount and turbo definitely doing oil soon and I 2 nd that vote ruthless

rsater1

Reaction score
Remove valve covers.

already have new cups and oring ..been setting on them for a yr now

rsater1

Reaction score
does any body know if a lucas fuel add would cause this . I had no problems till I did this. I don't drive the truck hard .never have gone past 2500 rpms and don't pull anything but small 10 foot 2 axle trailer .and I noticed the other day the last time I drove it as long as I accelerated slow like not over 1800 rpms it would not smoke... ANY WAY IM SHOPING FOR SOME PIS INJECTORS anyone have good to say about 220 or 250 cc sizes from PISand what effect does the % have on injectors why are there different sizes??? thanks in advance

dsberman94

Reaction score
Why would you replace cups if you don't need them. That requires special tools. Don't need orings if you buy new injectors either.

So even better, if you have the orings, pull the injectors and your problem could be solved this weekend. But again at 250k, be worth it to change UVCHs and vc gaskets too. Save yourself another trip into the engine.

Northwoods2002

Reaction score
fuel additives wont make it smoke any more. usually helps clean it up some..

this thread is fishy i think

live life full throttle

:whs:

You want to run the truck ASAP because you need to take children to school but you're sticking it out to get new injectors and turbo and whatever else to beef it up? I'm sorry but your priorities are messed up.

Pop the injectors, replace the O-rings you say you have and be done with it.

:popcorn:

rsater1

Reaction score
I figured they have 250/000 also . just figured if I was going in that far is to just do it all have been looking for injector forever .do the cups go bad ??? im not a diesel mechanic. just trying to cover all bases ..the reason I got them in the first place is at one time my methanol injection went bad and dumped in and somehow got in oil .I was leaning twords bad orings or bad head gasket ..! at that time thank god it was just 2 oil changes and had to get new controller ..went out 2 days after warranty... snow sucks I ONLY PUT 1 MILE ON IT A DAY I UNDERSTAND IM PUSHING MY LUCK ..!! I don't like it but thanks any ways guy I know you are trying to help and thanks ...

Latest posts

Members online