Honest 6.7 turbo talk For The People

Reaction score
I have a 2011 with 364.5sxe, a dual fueler and a few different tunes from midwest. It put down 750/1350 on a very generous dyno and ran a 12.80 with a da of 6000'+ with a stock trans. The truck gets about the same mileage on the highway as before with the stock turbo (20mpg). It's a great setup but I want more useable rpm. The truck has to be above 1800 rpm or it wont build more than 4 psi and then it'll build 42+ by 2100 rpm. The truck is a rocket when the turbo is spooled but on the bottom end it feels like I am lugging the engine. It's almost like a 2 stroke cr500 if you get what I mean. I have 3.55 gears and I always seem to be under spooled. Towing is ok but anything under 70 mph and 6th gear is nonexistent, especially in the mountains. Egt's are controllable and never really see more than 1150 unless I am on a long grade. If I could do it all over again I would have put on a modded 15 style turbo and left it with stock fuel. I think that setup would have pulled anything I wanted and still been a pleasure to drive. Also I would probably still be on the original trans!

By the way I'll trade my setup including the dual fueler for a streetmax and install kit for 11-14. Hell I'll sell the whole truck for the right price. I wouldn't mind having a '17. Pm me if your serious

Last edited:

NCSU dirt man

Reaction score
I've been running the Streetmax R VGT turbo from Midwest Diesel for almost two years now and been dual fueled for almost a year. I set my truck up for towing mostly and having the ability to have a little fun too. I tow my 12K bumper pull toy hauler about 10 times a year. Even on the biggest grade I'm hard pressed to see the EGT's get over 1100-1150 on cruise.

Biggest reason why I went with VGT is to be able to keep the turbo lit at the lower rpm's and keep the stock like characteristics. I can get the turbo to spool 15 psi at 1500rpm so the truck doesn't have any issues keeping it spooled up. Just threw down 655/1240 on the dyno, so she likes to party too.

I'm not biased to VGT or non VGT but for my needs, the VGT was the way to go...

nice numbers!

Reaction score
I have a 2011 with 364.5sxe, a dual fueler and a few different tunes from midwest. It put down 750/1350 on a very generous dyno. Ran a 12.80 with a da of 6000'+ with a stock trans. The truck gets about the same mileage on the highway as before with the stock turbo (20mpg). It's a great setup but I want more useable rpm. The truck has to be above 1800 rpm or it wont build more than 4 psi and then it'll build 42+ by 2100 rpm. The truck is a rocket when the turbo is spooled but on the bottom end it feels like I am lugging the engine. It's almost like a 2 stroke cr500 if you get what I mean. I have 3.55 gears and I always seem to be under spooled. Towing is ok but anything under 70 mph and 6th gear is nonexistent, especially in the mountains. Egt's are controllable and never really see more than 1150 unless I am on a long grade. If I could do it all over again I would have put on a modded 15 style turbo and left it with stock fuel. I think that setup would have pulled anything I wanted and still been a pleasure to drive. Also I would probably still be on the original trans!

By the way I'll trade my setup including the dual fueler for a streetmax and install kit for 11-14. Pm me if your serious

This would be really good for someone looking to go to a t4 setup and dual pumps. That thing sounds like it made very good power. What size tires are you running?

Reaction score
I've been running the Streetmax R VGT turbo from Midwest Diesel for almost two years now and been dual fueled for almost a year. I set my truck up for towing mostly and having the ability to have a little fun too. I tow my 12K bumper pull toy hauler about 10 times a year. Even on the biggest grade I'm hard pressed to see the EGT's get over 1100-1150 on cruise.

Biggest reason why I went with VGT is to be able to keep the turbo lit at the lower rpm's and keep the stock like characteristics. I can get the turbo to spool 15 psi at 1500rpm so the truck doesn't have any issues keeping it spooled up. Just threw down 655/1240 on the dyno, so she likes to party too.

Dual pumps and a streetmax sounds super fun combo. I haven't been around a streetmax yet

dsmracing1

Reaction score
Dual pumps and a streetmax sounds super fun combo. I haven't been around a streetmax yet

It's a good time! Stock fuel was alright but when I added the dual fueler it's a blast, even with 325/60R20 tires...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jomax

Reaction score

Stock trans?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
good thread with good posts and info. i too will be looking at this thread more when im ready to swap over.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Jomax

Reaction score
Still stock and running good! Just been changing the oil and filter every 20-25K.

I'm so tempted to go dual fueler and a modded turbo. But my trans wouldn't be happy. It's lasting with 115k miles. I think I'll wait lol.

dsmracing1

Reaction score
I'm so tempted to go dual fueler and a modded turbo. But my trans wouldn't be happy. It's lasting with 115k miles. I think I'll wait lol.

Haha it's a lot of fun for sure. I think depending on driving habits, the stock trans at the power level I'm at is a ticking time bomb. I drive like a grandma most of the time in my tow tune so it should be good for a bit yet...

Jomax

Reaction score
Haha it's a lot of fun for sure. I think depending on driving habits, the stock trans at the power level I'm at is a ticking time bomb. I drive like a grandma most of the time in my tow tune so it should be good for a bit yet...

Yeah, not possible for me. I do a ton of WOT runs on the hwy driving to CA. I'm happy it's lasting in the race tune.

dsmracing1

Reaction score
I used the tow tune once in 80k miles lol.
I don't know how you keep it in the tow tune.

Haha well with the pulse width of the injectors in the tow tune with dual fuelers basically must at least equal what the max effort tune is on a stock fuel setup. Even in the tow tune, it will put a smile on your face!

Reaction score

Do the dual fuelers without the charger and give us an update lol :swordfight:

NCSU dirt man

Reaction score
I've noticed mine will smoke fairly hard if I just jump on it even from a 1400rpm cruise to beat a yellow light (around 55mph maybe in 6th with 3.55's and 35's in my SRW F350). hell I even got a CEL code the other day claiming the fuel pressure was too high. i thought 11-14 pumps were supposed to be anemic right?