how common is lifter failure .. actually

webb06

Reaction score
...or because it makes the entire job easier to have the body out of the way. I pull the cab whenever I can if heads have to come off. It makes more sense to me because 90 minutes of pulling the cab at a leisurely pace makes the entire remainder of the job much simpler. don't get me wrong. I've pulled many motors out of the front when pulling the cab wasn't practical like on motorhomes, work trucks with elaborate cargo racks that go over the cab, etc., but generally speaking, pulling the cab is easier for a guy like me. Shoot, I work with a guy who pulls the cabs to do a turbo on 6.7's. His hands are too big to effectively do the job cab-down, and he's in his 50's, so laying over an engine all day is hard on his back. Yeah, in that case it takes more time, but he's still able to get out of bed in the morning on the following day if the cab gets pulled. Due to that, I usually do the 6.7 turbo jobs when they come in our dealership.

Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kwelch08

Reaction score
Pulling the cab off is stupid. Especially if you are doing lifters. Pull the engine out the front of truck.

I was assuming that if he took it to a shop they would pull the cab since 9/10 shops usually pull the cab, and I've do both and rather pull the cab. Some may think it's stupid others may think it makes things easier.

Reaction score
Yep. Pulling cabs is for flat bill shops so they can put it on Instagram

Makes no sense to me other than for show. I have a couple engine stands built to put them on for doing head studs. Way easier than trying to do them in frame with the cab off. But most of the trucks I work on are lifted on 37s or bigger.

IIVonnyII

Reaction score
Makes no sense to me other than for show. I have a couple engine stands built to put them on for doing head studs. Way easier than trying to do them in frame with the cab off. But most of the trucks I work on are lifted on 37s or bigger.

im on side with you for sure , for me I prefer to pull the motor.. just me, I have no lift or place for a cab. what do you use to actually get the motor out? what lift points do you use?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
im on side with you for sure , for me I prefer to pull the motor.. just me, I have no lift or place for a cab. what do you use to actually get the motor out? what lift points do you use?

I'd assume he has the actual lift like I do.
mTRBWAY.jpg

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
what do you do on 6.4's or 6.7's? I've done both ways, but 6.4's are the worst imo, pulling turbos and up pipes to pull out a motor. :cursing:

Like I stated earlier, I was partially joking, but it has it's time and place. If the customer doesn't want to do lifters than I lift cab. 6.4 I only lift cab for up pipes and engines because we only buy Ford complete and running and I am not taking apart a new motor to stuff it in. Haven't seen many 6.7 yet, but from what I see so far I'll be able to get it all out cab on.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Ctc, why do you remove the header panel and lights? There is plenty of room on a 6.0 or 7.3 to pull the motor with removal of core support, rad, cac, and condenser.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
no thanks. I have the correct tool to do the job. That way I can leave the pan on and sneak it over the K member just fine, also it makes it so much easier to line back up to trans. The header panel, bumper, lights, AC, all takes about 30 min to remove.

IIVonnyII

Reaction score
no thanks. I have the correct tool to do the job. That way I can leave the pan on and sneak it over the K member just fine, also it makes it so much easier to line back up to trans. The header panel, bumper, lights, AC, all takes about 30 min to remove.

where did you get that mount/bracket for the hoist? if you don't mind me asking of course

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
It's the OTC Ford tool. Pretty sure we ordered from rotunda. This thing was un touched when I started here in 09. Since then it's had probably close to a few hundred motor pulls on it.

Reaction score
Reaction score
what do you do on 6.4's or 6.7's? I've done both ways, but 6.4's are the worst imo, pulling turbos and up pipes to pull out a motor. :cursing:

I get the front 6 cab bolts out then bump the cab up with the front arms of two post lift. Gets enough room to get your hands in to deal with the turbos and no sense. Then it goes easier than a 6.0.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I've got the same one. Works awesome on the stock/leveled trucks. If it's got a lift I just chain up off the lift hooks and pull it. Once the up pipes are off there is all the room in the world to take the engine out.

I also have one of these for doing bed plates and rebuilds.

http://www.norcoindustries.com/products/model/78200-2000-lbs-engine-stand.html

Been waiting to get one but I don't think they will let me. It sucks parking a motor on jack stands to remove the rear cover..

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Oh I know and that's chump change... But they'll be like "you've been doing just fine with this one for yeaaars" LOL

webb06

Reaction score
Been waiting to get one but I don't think they will let me. It sucks parking a motor on jack stands to remove the rear cover..

Do you work at a dealer? I kinda figured you owned your own shop.

Reaction score
Don't act like fancy tools don't make you all warm and fuzzy inside too

LOL yeah I like it. we use ours non stop ! I think we are going to purchase another one here withing the next few weeks but the problem is space in our shop we have outgrown it and makes it hard :( ..

But now back to LIFTERS BOYS!!!:rockon::rockon::rockon: