How far can we go with Stock Rods?

dseitler

Reaction score
I would like to start a discussion about how far we can push the 2011 - 2014 6.7 with Stock Connecting Rods. With having my own truck and running full delete with mini max and SPEHotX how far can we push the 6.7 right to the limit without changing the Rods. If I go to dual fuel pumps and SPE Dual pump custom program for dual fuel do I have to worry about rod failure? Or if I run H&S calibration 2 or 3 is that to far? Or Spartan? A lot of you are NOT running aftermarket rods how far have you gone? This should be interesting.

Buck1

Reaction score
How is your throttle pedal on the SPE hot tune? Seems like after 2/3 to 3/4 throttle my truck has no more. Doesn't fall on its face, just doesn't climb any more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Buck1

Reaction score
From what I have read you would be fine with dual pumps, cause wouldn't have the air to finish the equation amd put you in trouble. Beleive 600-650 is the not to exceed point at this time, which takes a charger.

I will let real life experience chime in now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
i think the stock turbo is a much bigger problem. i wouldnt run a dual pump truck with a stock turbo. prolly pop.

dseitler

Reaction score
In a 1/4 mile pass my rail pressure will drop to 27500. It will not maintain the 29500. If I go to dual fuel I will maintain the 29500 but how much farther can I push it is my question. Your truck sounds like mine. Won't climb because we are leaving fuel on the table.

Last edited:

WHY NOT

Reaction score
Well the guy who posted above you have been running over 600 with a single turbo and dual fuelers for a while now and he beats the crap out of his, but a non vgt will spool just a little later keeping the low down drive pressure off which is what seems to kill this rods, to much low end power breaks them

strokersmoker

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
636 rwhp, bent mine with more fuel.
Calibration 4 and a single turbo seems like the max.

MorganY

Reaction score
For a bent rod...the limits are probably going to be close to 60-70% over of its original power output. Moderately street driven >700hp and high torque numbers will do it in indefinitely.

You're going to grenade that stock turbo with dual fuelers with any moderate driving style.

4EverBoosted1

Reaction score
I dont think the reason that your truck stops pulling at 3/4 throttle is because of fuel.. It's the charger I would label as the problem.

Reaction score
Yeah, in fact I can absolutely prove that it's charger.... All that added fuel will do is add more smoke and pop the charger faster. And the stock charger is much harder on rods than a larger aftermarket one. The thing about big toque at or below 1000 RPMs is it's very hard on rods. My truck with stock fuel and a 66 is a blast to drive and makes way more power than any stock charger could ever dream of. And get this it's like the thing has all kinds of top end. Just pulls way harder through 100mph in 5th at 3000+ rpm. Way more usable rpm range.

Honestly, if your worried about you bottom end, you should either build it now or not complain when it lets loose. These are not a 6.4... And these motors are not cheap or easy to work on. So for most people it is easier to put rods in first than pay triple later for rods+new block+new crank..... Just my .02

dseitler

Reaction score
I'm not sure if Why Not was referring to my truck but I am not running dual fuel pumps yet. My HP should be around 483 HP with the set up I have now. By going to the Dual Fuel pump I should be able to maintain the 29500 I am looking for with the stock turbo. My question is still IS that a reliable setup running the SPEHotX , Dual Fuel Pumps where I don't have to worry about the stock Rods.

4EverBoosted1

Reaction score
I'm not sure if Why Not was referring to my truck but I am not running dual fuel pumps yet. My HP should be around 483 HP with the set up I have now. By going to the Dual Fuel pump I should be able to maintain the 29500 I am looking for with the stock turbo. My question is still IS that a reliable setup running the SPEHotX , Dual Fuel Pumps where I don't have to worry about the stock Rods.

We just don't understand why you would want to run that setup.. If you put dual fuelers on with a stock turbo, something will let go. More than likely it would be your Turbo and not your rods.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
We just don't understand why you would want to run that setup.. If you put dual fuelers on with a stock turbo, something will let go. More than likely it would be your Turbo and not your rods.

Yeah it makes zero sense to run a setup like that.

Op - a ts mp8 will fix that fuel pressure problem.

dseitler

Reaction score
I talked to TS and they said the MP8 would make the situation worse because it lengthens the time the injector is open and would drop the rail pressure more.

Latest posts

Members online