How far will a pmr engine go?

big johnson

Reaction score
So I have been reading and it seems like that the way things have been going people continue to take pmr motors further and further with more power. Now I know that it's always just going to be a time bomb before it goes but I was just curious as to how far people have taken these engines on pmrs?

Fl Stroker

Reaction score
So I have been reading and it seems like that the way things have been going people continue to take pmr motors further and further with more power. Now I know that it's always just going to be a time bomb before it goes but I was just curious as to how far people have taken these engines on pmrs?

I had the exact same set up that you have and it lasted a year of daily driving before it went. Make sure that you wait for it to warm up in the mornings before you drive it hard.Timming is increased when engine is cold. Then save and have them build you one that puts a perma grin on your face daily.

Big Bore

Reaction score
I had the exact same set up that you have and it lasted a year of daily driving before it went. Make sure that you wait for it to warm up in the mornings before you drive it hard.Timming is increased when engine is cold. Then save and have them build you one that puts a perma grin on your face daily.

That's no different than a stock motor, so why don't those blow up? The only reason IMO that this is an issue is over fueling down low. That's one of many reasons why I prefer the stock fueling at the beginning of the pedal. The lurchy, over responsive throttle from some tuners is a false sense of gained power, makes DD annoying, the cruise control useless, and is dangerous to a cold engine for the exact reason stated. Too much fuel too early is a major flaw from some tuners. The guys keeping motors together at higher HP numbers are moving the power up the rpms. There have been several good threads on this recently. PontiacRoss making over 700HP and revving all the way to 5K rpm on a stock forged block. Curtis making 400 on PMR's with 250/200's, and I bet that motor lasts for another 100K at least because he keeps stockish fueling on the bottom. I admit it takes some time to get past the "dead pedal" feeling after having the lurchy overfueled tunes, but once that passes you won't want to go back because you begin to realise it's not dead, it's smooth and linear and predictable and you still have full power when you bury it to the wood.

Arisley

Reaction score
That's no different than a stock motor, so why don't those blow up? The only reason IMO that this is an issue is over fueling down low. That's one of many reasons why I prefer the stock fueling at the beginning of the pedal. The lurchy, over responsive throttle from some tuners is a false sense of gained power, makes DD annoying, the cruise control useless, and is dangerous to a cold engine for the exact reason stated. Too much fuel too early is a major flaw from some tuners. The guys keeping motors together at higher HP numbers are moving the power up the rpms. There have been several good threads on this recently. PontiacRoss making over 700HP and revving all the way to 5K rpm on a stock forged block. Curtis making 400 on PMR's with 250/200's, and I bet that motor lasts for another 100K at least because he keeps stockish fueling on the bottom. I admit it takes some time to get past the "dead pedal" feeling after having the lurchy overfueled tunes, but once that passes you won't want to go back because you begin to realise it's not dead, it's smooth and linear and predictable and you still have full power when you bury it to the wood.

That is exactly how my tunes from Tony work. Course, being Tony, when you get into the throttle, you have no doubt that there is more than enough fuel getting there. Now in my top tune, it is fueling from the time you even look at the pedal a little bit, but the only time it ever goes into that tune is at the track.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly Frank... I HATE the touchy pedal. And its detremental to keeping engines alive.

Personally after having a PMR motor fail, I would never trust it with even a 140 tune. But thats my opinion. With todays tuning advances its astonishing how much power they live with compared to 5 years ago.

With a cold engine the SOI delay map plays a big factor in keeping motors alive. I bet youd be surprised how many people dont let these big ol girls warm up before beating on it.

JD3020

Reaction score
With a cold engine the SOI delay map plays a big factor in keeping motors alive. I bet youd be surprised how many people dont let these big ol girls warm up before beating on it.

I know quite a few people that run their 7.3's fairly hard without letting em warm up. I've back down from challenges and been called a pussy cause my truck is cold and i don't want to run it hard, and i don't feel like wasting my time/fuel running around trying to get some heat in it. Now all these trucks are forged rod motors, but still same concept. So many people hop in, turn the key, give it a couple seconds, then their off to the races.

What really makes me cringe is in the winter i've ridden with some friends that start a cold truck and just go. I'm sitting there in the passenger seat and can see the voltmeter, it has yet to flip over to the normal zone, and the lights are dim. All signs that the GP's are still on, but they are driving like its fully up to temp. :doh:

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
JESUS...... The girlfriend is like that. Thing barely has oil pressure and its in reverse out the driveway and floored...

Thats why she drives her honda and I dont let her in the driver seat of my truck ahaha LOL

Arisley

Reaction score
As soon as the gauges are up in my truck, it is in gear and moving. I do have 1.5 miles of residential zone before I even get to a 40 MPH zone. I actually have had neighbors get upset with me for putting through the neighborhood. My thought is the truck will warm up much quicker putting along than it willl sitting still and idling.

Black 02

Reaction score
Well, I'll get to see how far a PMR motor will go. I just got my truck running after almost 3 months of being down. T500, S468 with Irate's Mount, Melling LPOP, Riffraff FRx, home made HPx, 910's, ARP Studs, and Smith Bros Push Rods.

You can say I've done my part to stimulate the economy.

Been running for two days and I still haven't even turned the chip off of the stock setting. Kinda scared to.

Don't want to be rebuilding a motor a week after I get it going for the first time in 3 months.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
As soon as the gauges are up in my truck, it is in gear and moving. I do have 1.5 miles of residential zone before I even get to a 40 MPH zone. I actually have had neighbors get upset with me for putting through the neighborhood. My thought is the truck will warm up much quicker putting along than it willl sitting still and idling.

Mine is driven the same way Andy. Drove it that way with my DP tunes and now my Tyrant tunes. My truck has about 170k miles and been tune since about 50k miles in some way or another, but definitely not a PMR motor

Sent from my EVO 3D on the East Side

Last edited:

Lowdown89

Reaction score
So who's tuning holds a PMR motor together the best????

Without starting a tuning war, I would look for post from people who talk about their tunes feeling really linear,not jumpy, feels almost weak down low.etc.... There's a ton of guys who are tuning like this and they are the ones keeping the engines alive... I bet with in 5 minutes of searching you can find 3-4 guys who could all keep a pmr engine safe for the most part as there's always a chance of blowing something up no matter who tunes it

Latest posts

Members online