How much fuel is too much?

ithumpwheniwalk

Reaction score
Mods in sig, just wondering if a 200/200 injector is too much for my d66, or if it's time to upgrade? I have one more shot at my truck before the wife shuts me down, so I'd like to get the injectors done before calling it quits. Won't be going to hybrids, just getting my 160s modified.

Thanks

Ken

edit: no fuel mods done, but I'm assuming they will be a must for the new injectors?

ithumpwheniwalk

Reaction score
stock nozzles on the 160's
talked to Bob Riley not too long ago, asking about the Overdrive, but he told me my pump should be good?

ithumpwheniwalk

Reaction score
from what I've read, I thought it was tough to get the tuning right for a 7.3 100% nozzle.. most of what I know I've gotten from reading some of Charles' posts on injectors, and how it was easier to tune a 200% nozzle due to the machining process of the nozzle itself. any input you give is appreciated, I'm learning as I go :)

was originally thinking of a 180/100 but thought if I was spending the money just get them done, price wasn't any different, and have tunes adjusted accordingly

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Learning from Chuckles??? You might make his head bigger.........and his ego.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
There isn't enough fuel until the motor goes boom. If it isn't broke, add fuel until it is.

One problem a built (billet rods, girdle, block fill) 7.3 never runs into. They just cant get enough fuel to blow up!! LOL :D unless you have bad tuning.

To the OP I would just get 80 or 100%v nozzles put on your injectors and have them freshened up at the same time. they could all way go to 175 if you wanted. But with a AA-code injector I would stay with the 80% or 100% nozzles. Your D66 will work fine. And if need be you could always put the higher flow comp wheel that is on the market on there just to help keep smoke down and EGTs in check.

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
stock nozzles on the 160's
talked to Bob Riley not too long ago, asking about the Overdrive, but he told me my pump should be good?

held back they would be fine... lets put it this way, with my setup, hpop is at 2980psi at 64% dc tuned to the max... sure it can be detuned and psi brought back up and dc down but i doubt it will hold a 200/200 unless you keep tuning mild.

I'd up nozzle size to an 80-100 an leave it.

whs

from what I've read, I thought it was tough to get the tuning right for a 7.3 100% nozzle.. most of what I know I've gotten from reading some of Charles' posts on injectors, and how it was easier to tune a 200% nozzle due to the machining process of the nozzle itself. any input you give is appreciated, I'm learning as I go :)

was originally thinking of a 180/100 but thought if I was spending the money just get them done, price wasn't any different, and have tunes adjusted accordingly

its the other way around... mail order tunes are more consistent with a 100% nozzle.... unless your gonna live tune somewhere then by all means go to 200%. if thats the case then i would go to 250/200s....

There isn't enough fuel until the motor goes boom. If it isn't broke, add fuel until it is.
you been talkin to HRT much? lol..

live life full throttle

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Bigger nozzle moves fuel faster right?

So the plunger is dropping faster, the IP needs to move faster...

The larger nozzle stands to use more oil.

littleredstroker

Reaction score

I guess in my head I thought that it would be easier to inject through a bigger nozzle , which would mean less pressure needed , thought that the cc had more impact on icp

sent while looking at a hole in my block

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
no the tuning makes it easier on the hpop..

like mine again, highest hp tune, 2980 psi at 64% dc.... next tune which is the DD tune 3200psi at 50% dc.... next one down from that econo tune 3600psi at 36% dc... my highest tune is using everything it can to make peak hp... any more adjustment and it would make dc worse and psi lower and lower hp... add more fuel hp went down. live tuned to the max is what im getting at... if your not live tuned and have tunes mailed to you, you prolly had a list of mods to tell the tuner and with the adrenaline being on that list or the tuner just being conservative, he dialed it in to keep pressure up and dc down... from my hottest tune to my econo tune is about 100 hp difference... so in order to keep psi up, it requires losing hp..

no matter what pump you have running almost any injector, you can make them run high psi with low dc... but it wont be tuned for max hp..
live life full throttle

DocBar

Reaction score
Learning from Chuckles??? You might make his head bigger.........and his ego.
Charles doesn't get the big head from people agreeing with him. He gets the big head from being right most of the time. He's forgotten more about 7.3's than most of us will ever know. Ignore Chuckles at your own peril.

Quit kissing the sides of Jason's dick. It's embarrassing for a man of your standing....I mean kneeling... LMAO.v:D

DocBar

Reaction score

I think you're off here. The larger the nozzle, the more fuel you move per injection event. A 238/100 moves the same amount of fuel as a 400/100. The difference is in the available fuel, not the actual amount injected. The difference between a 400 cc and a 238cc is the amount of fuel capable of being flowed over a 1000 cc cycle. The nozzle size is the actual difference maker. Which is why my 400/200's won't make much more than a 300/200.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
A 300/200 and a 400/200 at 3000 ICP and 2ms of PW inject the same amount of fuel.

A 300/400 at 2ms will inject more fuel in 2ms than the 400/200.

Which means the plunger moved further.

Which means the IP moved further.

What makes the IP move?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.