How to make 400hp and 700 ft/lbs torque?

JJozwiak

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 2003 F250 7.3 with auto trans. I was looking at new 6.7's at the dealer the other day (Just dreaming not buying one) and seen the engine specs of 390 peak horsepower and 730 ft/lbs of torque. I was wondering if it would be difficult to obtain this kind of power with my truck and have it hold up with the stock PMR's and the stock tranny. I guess what I'm asking is what is a comfortable hp/torque range to go to with those stock components. I'm looking for a little more to aid in hauling some dump trailers but still want it to be as reliable as my truck has been. I'm currently at 204000 on the ODO so she has plenty of life left. No fluid leaks. It is a sound truck. I'm looking at some new injectors in the spring possibly so I am up for changing those out for some single shot injectors and a ts6 chip but I'm not sure which injectors to get. I was looking at this website.
http://shop.fullforcediesel.com/Reman-73-Injectors_c5.htm

They offer a package deal with injectors and a ts6 chip so it is custom tuned.
Can anyone advise any further If this would be to much or not?

chris89

Reaction score
I put down 390/789 with 180/100 injectors, RR , intake, and exhaust at around 4500ft.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
if you want it to stay as reliable as it is but want a little more out of it, i would recommend a good custom ts 6 position chip and the new billet wheel for the stock charger.... add valve body and tq converter to the trans and thats it...

live life full throttle

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score
Anything over 160cc injector you will want to upgrade the hpop. We have done nearly 500 to the wheels with just 175cc so I'm sure 160's would work for what you are after. And the 390hp from the 6.7 is flywheel hp.

chris89

Reaction score
Mine is to the wheels uncorrected also. My hpop kept up pretty well with the 180 not saying it would have help more though

dustinz85

Reaction score
Anything over 160cc injector you will want to upgrade the hpop. We have done nearly 500 to the wheels with just 175cc so I'm sure 160's would work for what you are after. And the 390hp from the 6.7 is flywheel hp.

My old 7.3 out powered a new 6.7 I forget what the actual numbers were.
Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

JJozwiak

Reaction score

So the website says 100-150 hp gain with the stage 2 160cc single shot injectors. It does't give torque figures. Should I be good with the stock HPOP with this injector? I think this one will suit just fine. I don't have to get what a 6.7 puts out I just wanted a bit more and am looking more for torque than horsepower. Anybody else run a 160cc injector and able to give some input?

dustinz85

Reaction score
So the website says 100-150 hp gain with the stage 2 160cc single shot injectors. It does't give torque figures. Should I be good with the stock HPOP with this injector? I think this one will suit just fine. I don't have to get what a 6.7 puts out I just wanted a bit more and am looking more for torque than horsepower. Anybody else run a 160cc injector and able to give some input?

I have a stock pump.. read my first post here.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

ithumpwheniwalk

Reaction score

I like my 160's, they are stage 1's with stock nozzles. I upgraded to an Adrenaline at the same time cause my hpop was getting weak, and am very happy with the combo. Although if I was to do it again I'd be looking for a 175/100 injector or thereabouts.

You'll notice a world of difference power wise from stock to your new injectors, but unfortunately it's addictive and before long you'll wish you'd stepped up a size in injectors. You can go bigger and have your tuner of choice pull fuel until you get to the power level you want, although with PMR's I'm sure it's better safe than sorry.

Old OutLaw

Reaction score
If it was me, I'd have somebody jerk that engine outta there and get those rods OUT, and install a re-worked,
(resized, shot peened, magnafluxed, and balanced FORGED rods), before I did anything else to it.

there have been people, (and more than one), who blew the rods with just a chip.

you build an engine like you build a house, from the Bottom up.... then, after the rods, drop a set of
Stage II's in it, add a RR fuel system, a 38r turbo, exhaust & intake, and you'll have more than you can cool towing...

oh, and drop a BTS in it too, you're gonna NEED it....

just my opinion....

Last edited:

littleredstroker

Reaction score
You say blowing a rod like it's a bad thing....... :lookaround: .

Stage ones max. That will get u 400 with a 38r, and gearhead tunes, chris and I did a 02 with 160/stock nozzle , with a 38, and it ran pretty good. Clean too .

sent while staring at a windowed block

alradco

Reaction score
Is everyone talking about making 400 to the wheels or flywheel? How much is lost due to drivetrain on these trucks?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
track times put my dually at 470hp to the ground but prolly wont be duplicated easily.

like i mentioned in my last post... keep it simple and do a custom chip and billet wheel. had my brother with his 02 do this with only a tow and dd tune and he loves it... hell i love it... runs great and smoke free to boot...

live life full throttle

Jason

Reaction score
Like everybody else has stated. Those numbers for the 6.7 are rear wheel. If you have a 6 position chip, intake, and exhaust, and a healthy hpop...you are already in what a 6.7 makes at the wheels, if not more. Why spend the extra money?

Want to stay stone stock reliable? 160cc injectors, or 175/146 single shots, ww2, a healthy hpop, converter, and vb. Should be good for 375-425 at the tires based on how generous the dyno operator is feeling, and run clean and cool. Plus you don't have to listen to that noisy ass 38r.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.