Hpop stainless hard line?

gutierrez9287

Reaction score
Im in the process of doing a rebuild to my 7.3 project and was wondering if anyone has ever done any hard stainless oil lines? If you have do you have pics? If no one has done it, is there a reason why?

gutierrez9287

Reaction score
We have the stuff laying around at work to do it, I figured I would bend them nicely out of the way, make the bends look smooth and make the lines flow with the valley then up to their spots. But figured some one would have already done it or know why not to do it.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I think that's a bad idea. Well maybe. If the stuff can be made to be held by a clamp so the pipe isn't structural and eventuallyfatigue from flex and relax, flex and relax, etc.

2000wa250

Reaction score
I like the idea from a clean engine standpoint, but would it really be clean if you used big enough lines to flow correct volume?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

gutierrez9287

Reaction score
Well the lines i planned to use are used to on hydraulicly powered presses that are typiacally run 12 hrs a day 6 day a week they basically go from 0-5000 psi spikes all day long im not sure what they are rated for but the pumps could be cranked up significantly higher, so I'm sure they could hold the pressure.

I was think more along the lines of NPT to JIC like the hpop cross over line like riff raff makes. Not really using clamps.

As far as sizing goes, the lines currently on there are like 1/8" ID or possibly 1/4" ID I was thinking I could go to a 3/8" ID or possibly 1/2" ID since I would be going under and up instead of the already over and thru. My issue is do I really want to drill and tap a hpop to fit a Npt to jic male to male fitting?

I appreciate the feed back guy keep the pros and conns coming!!!

2000wa250

Reaction score
Hmm....really interested to see where this goes. Is there any fittings that would prevent having to drill and tap the hpop? I find it hard to believe that there couldn't be a fitting that would adapt the two...aren't obs hpops Jic fittings?

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
My issue is do I really want to drill and tap a hpop to fit a Npt to jic male to male fitting?

Don't do this. If you want to do hard lines get the correct SAE O-ring fittings for both the pump (#6) and the heads (#5) - they are not NPT. I hate NPT fittings - especially for high pressure hydraulics applications.

gutierrez9287

Reaction score
Good Morning,
Do the obs hpop have jic fitting?

I can use SAE o-ring fitting that's not a problem, npt was just the first thing that came to mind when think about going larger.

Well my logic behind the hard lines was like any others diesel injection system, they use hard lines why can't our huei system use it but just for oil instead of diesel? they have hard lines coming from the injection pump to the injectors and those lines expirience 25000 psi with a flex relax flex relax flex relax....

Reaction score
Good Morning,

I can use SAE o-ring fitting that's not a problem, npt was just the first thing that came to mind when think about going larger.

Well my logic behind the hard lines was like any others diesel injection system, they use hard lines why can't our huei system use it but just for oil instead of diesel? they have hard lines coming from the injection pump to the injectors and those lines expirience 25000 psi with a flex relax flex relax flex relax....

I don't really know if it does matter running a steel line or a rubber,,I just know not many people run a hard line....K&M used to make and sell them..not any more though,,, the only thing different I can see in what your saying is there is one rubber line feeding a rail that feeds 4 injectors where as the other way you have one line off the pump for each injector...

Arisley

Reaction score
Good Morning,

I like the idea, hard lines custom bent and fitted in would look a lot cleaner in my mind than the rubber lines.

faster6.0

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
all the material we use is made for 4000+ PSI hydaulic pressure. The hardline stainless I can bend and flare to your dimensions/layout. the braid hose it not summit braid hose, its 5800 psi teflon lined hydro hose. heres an example of what we can do for you-
threeeights.jpg

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I installed a hard stainless HPO crossover and fitting for my HPO gauge YEARS ago and mostly forgot about it until you just mentioned it, but it works fine, no leaks.

2000wa250

Reaction score
all the material we use is made for 4000+ PSI hydaulic pressure. The hardline stainless I can bend and flare to your dimensions/layout. the braid hose it not summit braid hose, its 5800 psi teflon lined hydro hose. heres an example of what we can do for you-
threeeights.jpg

Dozens,

Could you pm me a quote for a set up for a 2000 7.3 with twin terminators? Or is this more something that you need me to get you measurements and angles and stuff for? I love the idea of running stainless lines that flow with the valley and could potentially get rid of some of the cluster**** that these engines end up bring with hoses everywhere

gutierrez9287

Reaction score
hahah yes thats awesome thats close to what i had in mind, please pm me a price on that as well, thats what i would like on my project. Im so glad im not crazy and it makes sense!

neverkickn

Reaction score
Hard stainless lines are used all the time in hydraulic applications. You need to make sure that you use the right fittings, HRT gave you the sizes. They are just ORB fittings.

A #6 jic and stainless line will be more than sufficient. The other thing you need to do is make sure that the flare is done right. Use a good tool and make sure that the flare is clean and not cracked and you will be fine.

Beanhead

Reaction score
i have seen people with SS lines on the HPOP... i don't know if there is any pro's or con's.. i almost think you need the rubber line to adsorb some of the pulsation in the oil rail...

Ron your right! The harmonics from the pulsing affect may crack the hard lines.This is why no one has put it into production.

Think of it as a tuning fork effect.