Hubs need serviced?

G Racing

Reaction score
I probably should give my dealer a Vin # BC the price he quoted me is over 400$ my cost per side...Thats a Hell NO, but 200 per side maybe..Im not going to do away with the auto hubs, I will take mine apart rebuild them and Im sure it will all be good. All my vacuum lines are good and they engage but dont seem to want to disengage or vise-versa. Really there isnt much that can go wrong inside them so I think rebuilding them is a good start. Send me a pic of the one you bought please. Thanks for the input

He might be quoting the bearing hub assembly.

EvilTwins

Reaction score

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I probably should give my dealer a Vin # BC the price he quoted me is over 400$ my cost per side...Thats a Hell NO, but 200 per side maybe..Im not going to do away with the auto hubs, I will take mine apart rebuild them and Im sure it will all be good. All my vacuum lines are good and they engage but dont seem to want to disengage or vise-versa. Really there isnt much that can go wrong inside them so I think rebuilding them is a good start. Send me a pic of the one you bought please. Thanks for the input

There isn't much you can do. The manual hubs are identical to the autos other than the vacuum diaphragm inside. There are no real serviceable parts. Parts inside break into tiny piecee as you might find on your own.

CamTom12

Reaction score
I follow this practice anyway with stock hubs and it sure helps them live.

I.actually drive around with my hubs locked in almost all the time... don't notice.that big of a mileage drop...

Me too, when the first snowfall sticks I lock them and when breakup is done I'll put them back to "auto." It's just free insurance and my winter mileage blows with high-idling anyway.

Heavyhaul

Reaction score
I occasionally get a sticky hub. I do exactly what you did and cruise on. Every once in a while while I'm pumping fuel I might cycle them back and forth. I say just keep driving. If you leave your hubs locked in all winter and I'm sure Dustin knows this but there is still a spindle brg in there that needs to get greased behind the wheel brg. I would guess maybe every couple of winters.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
I had to replace both of my lockouts on my 08 at 108k

one wouldn't release to free and upon inspection, I found that it had fallen apart and needle bearings were just floating around in there

I ordered two hubs and planned on keeping the "good" original as a spare, but when I tried to remove it, it fell apart.

I doubt the original owner ever serviced the hubs