HUGE gains from FICM ONLY tune!

Johnboy3

Reaction score
if anyone will get on a dyno and test bills ficm flashes with my tuning, i'll gladly throw a SRL file in the mix

I will be dynoing them in our 6.0 with 175cc injectors this weekend. (and maybe a couple of 6.4 tunes that have been laying around here, sorry) I will post up the results.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Cant answer that, but I dont see it being any different than if it were stock.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Gets some studs and compare the SRLXX with and without FICM tuning.:redspotdance:
OK, Bill says he can put the truck back to stock for comparison.

Let me throw this out there Matt. Chris Guest (our GPDA President) was the one I was talking to you about having the issue with the tune. I'm sure he would be glad to run the test for you as well if it meant getting a revised version of your SRL+ for his truck. Just an idea. I know Michael and Jesse would both be willing to run your tunes on the dyno as well. I don't care who the gets a Gearhead tune and runs it, I just want to see what it does on the dyno with the new FICM tunes and would like to get some real world feedback on the drive ablility for a write up from an unbiased source.

I'd like to do a write up on the Gearhead tune for the GPDA like I did for the TSD , Quick Tricks and IDP tunes. I also want a tune from Bill. I think having an honest opinion on tunes from someone who has run them all is very helpful for folks looking for which tuner to go with. I've answered tons of questions about my tunes and have sent business to TSD, Quick Tricks and IDP. I also tell everyone to get with Bill for a FICM tune.

Power Hungry

Reaction score
I think it's been said somewhere but can this be a remote tuning ?

We can do as a remote programmer or you can send the FICM in to us.

Thanks Greg. One more question I already have a ficm tuned from bill so will it override it?

If your FICM has already been tuned and you wish to take advantage of the $50.00 special upgrade price for existing FICM customers, you MUST send your FICM in to us for reflash. The newer program will replace the existing strategy.

This special price only applies to FICMs programmed directly through PHP. If someone sends in a FICM that WAS NOT programmed by us, we will know it and you will not be eligible for the $50.00 pricing.

Maybe bill will let me know:thumbsup:

Hey, have to sleep some time! :sleep: :D

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Bill, the Atlas 80 tune is awesome. My fuel mileage is back and the midrange pull is amazing. I am really thinking about the Hercules tune now. The original FICM tune was great, but the Atlas 80 blows it out of the water. I've changed nothing since you reprogrammed the FICM the other day and my fuel mileage has crept back to around 17mpg (hand calculated several times). My towing is usually limited to 2-6k, but 10-11k does happen. I think I want to try the Hercules tune. I really believe I would be OK. The thought of more power and fuel mileage just keeps pushing me towards the Hercules.

Power Hungry

Reaction score
Here is another group of plots I found interesting. These are comparisons of a stock ECM and FICM, a standard 100R racing tune with a Stock FICM, a Stock ECM and the Hercules FICM tune, and finally the 100R ECM and Hercules FICM tune combined. It's pretty interesting to see where the individual gains are and also goes to show that there are limiters in the ECM that need to be addressed in order to maintain High RPM power output as well as SOI adjustments to help improve low RPM performance. These show that the FICM tuning and ECM tuning go hand in hand to provide on overall performance gain.

The first image is just a comparison between the 100R ECM and the Hercules FICM tune. The Hercules actually has a little higher peak output, especially in torque at about 2200 RPM and HP at 3000 RPM, but suffers a little in the 1800 to 2000 RPM range and a drops off at 3300 due to the fuel limitations in the Stock ECM calibration.

(click on image to enlarge)
100r_vs_hercules_sm.jpg

The next image is a comparison between the 100R ECM and the Hercules FICM tune, with a Stock ECM and FICM for reference.

stk_vs_100r_vs_hercules_sm.jpg

The final image is a comparison between the 100R ECM and the Hercules FICM tune, both individually and combined, with Stock ECM and FICM for reference. I had to change the HP scale from 500 HP to 1000 HP to help separate the graphs. They were getting really cluttered and hard to follow the curves. As you can easily tell, each type of programming has its benefits in certain areas, but the combination of both tunes makes a tremendous difference over each tune individually. The compounded benefits, while not wholly additive (ie. 100 HP + 100 HP does NOT make 200 HP), still have significant relevance in their relation and shows that the FICM programming combined with even an aggressive performance tune will provide noticeable improvements, especially in the 1800 to 2800 RPM range.

stk_vs_100r_vs_hercules_vs_both_sm.jpg

I hope these graphs are helpful.

mint-6oh

Reaction score
Do you have any idea how adding the ficm tunes with an pcm tune ( I have srl+) affects cylinder pressures? Is it safe to run the higher hp ficm tunes with a high hp pcm/tcm tune with headstuds? I think I read earlier that the atlas 80 tune smokes a little with stock ecm, how is it with a tuned ecm? Would it be noticably more smoke than just my srl+? I know you said you Havnt driven with the ficm tunes long enough to get accurate mpg numbers but do these tunes address the issues with fords ficm programming that you earlier ficm tunes did? Do you expect to see improved fuel mileage with these tunes. Not looking for anything etched in stone, just your opinions/observations. Thanks.

Latest posts

Members online