HUGE gains from FICM ONLY tune!

Power Hungry

Reaction score
Let's see...

Not sure yet on the effects to CP. We haven't connected the test equipment yet to get any readings. When we start doing fuel system and HPO testing, we will be also doing CP testing to ensure that we are not going in a direction that is undesirable. Now, as far as what I am expecting to find, I would expect to see the CPs are not really any higher with the FICM tuning than without. Here is my reasoning... The majority of the changes in the FICM programming revolve around PW changes, not SOI. Excessive CP often occurs due to over-advanced SOI or the inherent advance from raising ICP. Since those changes may or may not already be present in the ECM tuning, the changes to the FICM tuning should have minimal (if any) effect on the overall CP. Of course, it sounds good on paper, but the CP testing will reveal just exactly what's going on.

From what I've observed, the Atlas 80 appears to smoke less than the average 80 HP ECM tune. It could just be my truck, though. It's difficult to say. Atlas 80 combined with ECM tuning still doesn't smoke much more. I run the Hercules with my biggest ECM tuning and have just the slightest haze on full throttle runs. Even on water/meth, it pretty darn clean.

My truck, for the little I've run it, is getting almost 19 MPG, and that's with me acting a fool from time to time. If I could keep my foot out of it I'm sure I'd get a bit better, but it's too tough right now. Feedback from customers has been pretty positive in regards to economy, but nothing I'd say is "documented". These FICM tunes are built off the same hybrid strategies we offered over the last few years. The "Economy" tune is basically the I/H strategy we previously offered, but with some modest improvements to help economy and responsiveness. The other tunes are the same, but with added power.

As part of our testing suite, we will be doing a 200 Mile simulated load on the dyno to achieve accurate MPG numbers in a controlled environment. The test script will be including a number of rolling hills and grades. This way we can monitor fuel consumption and don't have to worry about changes in traffic, weather, travel direction, etc.

I know it's difficult to be patient for results, and I'm just as excited as everyone else. We're hoping to have a number of test results on different systems and modifications available in the next 2-3 weeks.

Take care.

Stumblefoot

Reaction score
I must admit some of this is over my head, but I muddled thru it. So if I get the egr delete, I'll pick up a few HP? and ARP head studs, have read mixed things about the Black Onyx head gaskets, gonna take those steps fist, then go for all this fancy tuning, and it works OK with the SCT programer? Your tests were with an ECON. Mine is a DD with light trailer use.

Power Hungry

Reaction score
I must admit some of this is over my head, but I muddled thru it. So if I get the egr delete, I'll pick up a few HP? and ARP head studs, have read mixed things about the Black Onyx head gaskets, gonna take those steps fist, then go for all this fancy tuning, and it works OK with the SCT programer? Your tests were with an ECON. Mine is a DD with light trailer use.

First, the general consensus on the Black Onyx gaskets is to steer clear of them. Several people have had good luck with them and I think it has more to do with the prep and installation and the gaskets just being more sensitive how the machine work is done. However, far too many others have complained of repeat failure after only a few thousand miles. Going with OEM gaskets seems to be the best option.

Second, the H11 head studs are THE choice for studs on the 6.0L. ARP are fine for mild mods, but for the price the H11's are a better material and have a higher tensile rating.

Yes, the EGR delete will help pick up a couple ponies, especially on the bottom end. The FICM tuning works fine with the canned SCT calibrations as well as most other custom tunes available.

Let me know if you have any other questions. :D

Just pulled my ficm out. It will be on it's way to you monday.

Cool! We'll keep an eye out for it. :rockon:

Last edited:

strokin6L

Reaction score
I've heard just the opposite about the H-11 studs. Seems more high hp guys are going with/using ARP's over the H-11's. Alot of guys that are at/over 1000hp are using ARP's. I'd hafta think ARP's are the choice for studs.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
doesnt matter anyways, every truck is different, every machinist is different, ever head gasket produced is different...

6.0 H-11's are actual H11's unlike the 6.4 versions.

AKHILF

Reaction score
Well got my hercules tuned ficm back. I only drove it a mile tonight but i'll put about 50 on it tomorrow. I didnt look at temps to much and only got it up to about 50 mph. I could tell as soon as I got in the truck the throttle is a lot more touchy but not in a bad way it's still easy to control. I do feel like the trucks a little quicker so I wouldnt doubt some horsepower gains but i'm on 37's and 22's so it's no monster. And about the smoke, there is hardly anymore. Its not a problem at all I could floor it and theres a very small amount. If you didnt want any, I think even half throttle from a dig you wouldnt see any. If anyone has any questions or wants me to pay attention something tomorrow just say what. Theres a dyno about 10 miles away its $130 for 3 pulls, I just have not been to worried about what my trucks putting out to do it. Oh and i'm running this with my srl +

Power Hungry

Reaction score
Sounds like your first impressions are pretty positive. I'm looking forward to your feedback on the tuning and hope that you find it to meet your expectations. :D

Take care.

strokin6L

Reaction score
good feedback so far with the hercules and a race tune. I'd like to hear some feedback from someone with the hercules, race tune and 190's.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Ill let you know when the loaner gryphon gets here how that setup runs.

damn 3rd from the bottom LOL

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-03-27 at 10.47.41 AM.png
    Screen shot 2012-03-27 at 10.47.41 AM.png
    17.4 KB · Views: 58

AKHILF

Reaction score
Yes it has been good. I like it a lot and wish I did it sooner. And for the milage guys, this is all lie-o meter but yesterday I was getting 11.2 on it and this morning it was getting 15.7-16.5 I'm sure it's not right but I bet it gained some mpg. I'll do a really hand calc next full up. My milage was so bad iv been thinking about taking the 37's off and going with a 420. But I just don't think my truck would look right

Latest posts

Members online