ICP reacting strange in the AM???

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Twice now when starting the truck cold the ICP duty cycle has jumped up to 14-20% at start, then drop like a rock to 4.5 or so with the ICP pressures in the 1400+ range... I can drive off and it will stay around 4.5 to 6.5 or so until the oil just starts to warm.

Just a bit strange... I was thinking IPR issue, but once warm its fine and reacts fine.

Cold starts are snappy with this new motor, love it!!!

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
What does it hit for PSI right before it fires.. I know when I put the stealth twins in start up was way faster and the ICP pressure hit with a bang 2500 plus on the gauge then would drop right back to 700 in about a second.. Would hover a little higher on the cool mornings.
nothing like what you are seeing...

Last edited:

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Its hard to say, but it seems to start fine, its just that rock bottom duty cycle that seems weird, almost like the IPR can not bring the pressure down to where it wants?

mandkole

Reaction score
any chance of restriction? The trusty HPOP manual notes that low DC% at idle can indicate a drain restriction issue... reservoir, front cover, stuck IPR, debris above the filter, etc. Pump issue?

Says this often occurs when the oil pan was resealed, but your issue seems to clean itself up as it warms.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Hummm... I will clean it and see if that helps.

Just thought it was odd as it went away warm.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
It has to be the tuner or the injectors. Those are the only two things that make 7.3 Powerstrokes run bad.

Take your pick and blame them!

ghohouston

Reaction score
I pulled my ipr apart about a month ago, the part that requies a large flathead, and it had backed itself back over 1/2 turn...seemed to make a huge difference!

CSIPSD

Reaction score
It has to be the tuner or the injectors. Those are the only two things that make 7.3 Powerstrokes run bad.

Take your pick and blame them!

Did I miss something?

LOLLOL

I don't think so, I think joe has an IPR issue. But its much much easier to blame it on a tuner or injector builder, so hey..... why not! haha

You didn't miss anything, just Derek being a douche because he doesn't like my criticism of his injector builder of choice...

I'll grab a video of it tomorrow morning on the scan gauge... Its just odd, nothing I have ever seen before.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
You didn't miss anything, just Derek being a douche because he doesn't like my criticism of his injector builder of choice...

I'll grab a video of it tomorrow morning on the scan gauge... Its just odd, nothing I have ever seen before.

You can criticize all you want my man :ford:

My making a joke has nothing to do with that though LOL. I thought you were good at this sarcasm thing, long day or something?

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Like other have said the IPR might be sticky, So when the oil is cold it would be worse, but as the oil warms up it helps the IPR from sticking..

Just picture those 6.0L injectors with cold oil.. They worked better as they got warm...

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
come to think of it my 01 does the same thing joe.... just remembered the other day when i was monitoring everything on it that it does the same thing yours is doing... when it starts its around 1100 icp and as it warms it slowly drops down to 480-500ish icp... wanna say duty cycle did the same thing.... temp was in the teens here while i saw that fwiw...

Latest posts

Members online