I'm guessing it's the starter?

Corys6.0

Reaction score
Well, just like hospitals, when you are in need of one, every hospital is your favorite.

If you're in a bind, go buy one and sort it out later.

I'll probably grab what I can tomorow locally throw it on....And order a 6.4 Mean Green one Monday.

04MT

Reaction score
I thought my starter on my 04 went bad one morning getting ready to go to work, hit the key and the starter just spun without engaging the ring gear. I jumped in my wife's car and headed to carquest to get a replacement without even looking under my truck. When I got back home to replace the starter I realized my starter bolts had just backed out and lost one completely. All I did was tighten the bolts and it worked fine, still does 2 years later. That starter had never been touched so I have no idea how the heck the bolts loosened up so if you haven't already crawled under to check, you may want to.

Zmann

Reaction score
I have read post where people had their 6.0 starter fall all the way out LOL

Corys6.0

Reaction score
I have read post where people had their 6.0 starter fall all the way out LOL

That is crazy. I'm gonna grab a 6.4 starter from AutoZone in the morning. NAPA is closed on Sundays so I'll check the bolts when I'm under there.

Corys6.0

Reaction score
One last question before I do this tomorrow morning.....Just go to Auto Zone or Advance auto parts and get a 2008 6.4 powerstroke starter and it will bolt right up correct? I just wanna be 100% sure because I will be doing this in a parking lot in terrible weather.

Corys6.0

Reaction score
Need some quick help guys. 2 of the 3 starter bolts fell out. The top one is in. What size bolts do I need? Working on it now.

Corys6.0

Reaction score
There was only one bolt when I climbed under there to pull the old one out. The top one is in the other 2 are MIA.

Corys6.0

Reaction score
Got new starter on now as soon as you TRY to hook the battery up it trys to start on its own? Key isn't even in the truck.

Zmann

Reaction score
you probably have the hot cable ( comes off the pass side battery connector and attaches to the top lug i the picture )
shorting to the small post ( 12 volt to start ) lower large post

71zinxVIBXL._SL1280_.jpg

Last edited:

Corys6.0

Reaction score
you probably have the hot cable ( comes off the pass side battery connector and attaches to the top lug i the picture )
shorting to the small post ( 12 volt to start ) lower large post

71zinxVIBXL._SL1280_.jpg

We got it thanks buddy.

Latest posts

Members online