John Woods Transmissions?

arizonacoast

Reaction score
Looking to freshen my trans before spring when I start pulling heavy loads to the ranch again. John Woods shop is only a few hours from me in the winter. He quoted me $5700 out the door for a towmaster trans with same day turn around. Drive in at 7:30am and on the road home that afternoon. Anyone have any experience with them?

mandkole

Reaction score
JW gets very good reports, but 5700 seems very steep for a refresh. Or, is this a build?

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
The tow master would be fully rebuilding it with his converter, his clutches, his valve bodies ect...
We have recently begun stocking his stuff. We have installed a few tow masters already in the short few months of being a dealer, extremely high quality is all I can say.

There have been zero tuning adjustments needed thus far when running his stuff. They shift perfect, on time, every time. The shift is very very crisp without anything banging or slushyness.

That tow master has been dyno tested in Jacob Whites single cab at 900+ hp. I am not saying that is practical, but goes to show what the transmission is really made of.

$5700 out the door includes labor, full rebuild, the transmission, the synthetic fluid, a fluid flush, and him re tuning it after if need be. He writes his own transmission files to go along with his transmission which really brings the whole package together!

+1 for john wood automotive

arizonacoast

Reaction score
Forgot to add that includes a 6.0 cooler. Says he "pre-builds" as much as he can to get it done in one day. This is a huge deal for me. I had Mike at Inglewood Transmission do a Suncoast full billet trans on my 07 Cummins for about the same price but had to leave my truck in LA for a week. Thank you for the input guys!

seeyalater5.9

Reaction score
The tow master would be fully rebuilding it with his converter, his clutches, his valve bodies ect...
We have recently begun stocking his stuff. We have installed a few tow masters already in the short few months of being a dealer, extremely high quality is all I can say.

There have been zero tuning adjustments needed thus far when running his stuff. They shift perfect, on time, every time. The shift is very very crisp without anything banging or slushyness.

That tow master has been dyno tested in Jacob Whites single cab at 900+ hp. I am not saying that is practical, but goes to show what the transmission is really made of.

$5700 out the door includes labor, full rebuild, the transmission, the synthetic fluid, a fluid flush, and him re tuning it after if need be. He writes his own transmission files to go along with his transmission which really brings the whole package together!

+1 for john wood automotive

Sounds like a heck of a transmission!

Have heard nothing but good about JW trans

Snake

Reaction score
If and when my transmission goes, JW is at the top of my list. He's had an incredible, well deserved reputation for a long time.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
To those of you in the Northwest... we will have a tow master series for all 7.3 and 6.0s on the shelf very soon.
Give us a shout for all of your JW needs!

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Do you stock components (valve bodies and torque converters) or just entire transmissions?

Valve bodies we wont be stocking. In order to keep them as high quality as possible they really do need to be set up per application. Which makes it much too difficult to stock them, built to order is the easiest way.

We may look into stocking converters though if the demand is there. The transmissions I mentioned will be loaded with Converters.

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
Valve bodies we wont be stocking. In order to keep them as high quality as possible they really do need to be set up per application. Which makes it much too difficult to stock them, built to order is the easiest way.

We may look into stocking converters though if the demand is there. The transmissions I mentioned will be loaded with Converters.

Yeah, I should have phrased that differently.
What I meant is, when I order a valve body will I be able to do it through you guys?

Motomez

Reaction score
Great Transmission! I have had my Tow master for the past 3 years and it has been great. My tranny temps never get over 180 with the 6.0 cooler towing in the middle of summer. Some of the best money I have spent and John is a Stand up Guy You will not be unhappy.

JDub

Reaction score
I loved my John Wood trans, even with a relatively dumb 'xle4' pcm file it shifted great! If I had the capacaity, I'd be running a JW 4R100 behind my Duramax and get rid of this slushbox Allison

Latest posts

Members online