KC Turbo RCSB Race Truck

04stroker

Reaction score
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0UJjS-VDqsU Just a dynamic .12 cw pump. 7.3 powersteering pulley. Custom shaft my buddy made, pulling from pan and feeding to test port. With a checkvalve in each line and a 20 micron filter in supply line. I have 3000 miles on it so far, and put 60 miles on it a day

Yeah looks like a pretty decent setup. However it is when you get more miles I have seen issues with the pumps. Seems they do not like to live much more than 10-15k miles. Which makes them okay for competition use that does not get many miles but sucks for a daily driver. Hopefully yours lives please keep us updated as you get more miles on it.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
I feel bad because it must sound like I was "bashing" on twin pumps. They worked great. Built more than enough ICP for my 285s. I actually had to dial it back.

I ran it with no issues for like 5,000 miles and then my pump started failing, it was covered under warranty and was easy to replace.

The other issues is that the kit was in the way of everything else. Anytime I tried to pull something off the truck it seemed like I had to pull the kit off. Then all the lines started leaking (probably from removing them all the time). Then my second pump failed at about 15,000 miles. After that I took the kit off and decided no to run one until I really needed it.

They are perfect for a 100% dedicated race truck... or someone who does not put very miles on the truck... and someone who is not always messing around and swapping parts.

04stroker

Reaction score
I feel bad because it must sound like I was "bashing" on twin pumps. They worked great. Built more than enough ICP for my 285s. I actually had to dial it back.

I ran it with no issues for like 5,000 miles and then my pump started failing, it was covered under warranty and was easy to replace.

The other issues is that the kit was in the way of everything else. Anytime I tried to pull something off the truck it seemed like I had to pull the kit off. Then all the lines started leaking (probably from removing them all the time). Then my second pump failed at about 15,000 miles. After that I took the kit off and decided no to run one until I really needed it.

They are perfect for a 100% dedicated race truck... or someone who does not put very miles on the truck... and someone who is not always messing around and swapping parts.

Yes exactly my same things I had happen. So far I just have not found a setup with great longevity. They work great for racing use just not for a daily driver. That is why Jesse I am pretty sure only sales his kit as a competition kit now or was going to last I talked to him.

Also sorry I will stop talking about dual hpop kits and hijacking your thread.

06regcab6.0

Reaction score
The pumps are pretty cheap though at $80 a piece, and figure each lasts about 10k miles. So you could buy 11 pumps and last 110k miles for the price if a thumper. But the maintaince is definitely alot more.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
The pumps are pretty cheap though at $80 a piece, and figure each lasts about 10k miles. So you could buy 11 pumps and last 110k miles for the price if a thumper. But the maintaince is definitely alot more.

LOL... ya but the pumps don't tell you when they are failing.

You usually find out when you become stranded on the side of the road... usually with either oil spewing everywhere from your failed pump/lines or your IPR gets stuck and/or injectors quit working because metal shavings got sent through your HPOP system.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
How about the kits like elite that use the stock hpop externally? Or do those also have their own set of issues?

From what I know they have been known to starve the low pressure oil system, causing premature bearing and turbo failures. They do however fix the reliability issues when it comes to the HPO system.

I have seen a couple that Elite did with heavy LPOP modifications to handle the abuse.
That low pressure oil pump is already a threat of destruction at high enough RPM. Starving that system of oil volume is just asking for an even larger issue

KCTurbos

Reaction score
How about the kits like elite that use the stock hpop externally? Or do those also have their own set of issues?

I don't know much about them but I will soon. Chris down at Diesels and More has one ready to go. He is going to be running 450/150 hybrids, elite twin pumps, s475, and nitrous on a full built motor/tranny in a CCSB 4x4. I am sure he will post the info about how he likes it.

fordboy11

Reaction score
From what I know they have been known to starve the low pressure oil system, causing premature bearing and turbo failures. They do however fix the reliability issues when it comes to the HPO system.

I have seen a couple that Elite did with heavy LPOP modifications to handle the abuse.
That low pressure oil pump is already a threat of destruction at high enough RPM. Starving that system of oil volume is just asking for an even larger issue

That's why I like the idea of the billet inner gear. helps ease me at night. It doesn't help ive been running a fluidamper for 2 years. But I love my Twin HPOP set up from Jess. I change my pump ever year for pulling.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Well things have been really busy so I have not had much time to work on the truck.

Cory @ Diesels and More installed the new 1.5" drop shackle and updated caltrac bars. We had to get shorter bars because of how low the truck sits now with all the leaf springs taken out.

IMO the stance is perfect. The back end is all done except for the roll pan. I just need to get it painted.

Here is a pic of how the truck sits.

C2C0406D-1E85-4230-AAF8-79BAA86AB0D8_zpsyh4pdkf1.png

swinky

Reaction score
How did you go about shortening your bars? I just barely got by with removing one of the lock down nuts on each side.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
How did you go about shortening your bars? I just barely got by with removing one of the lock down nuts on each side.

I called them up and they switched them out for me at no cost...

I was going to cut and reweld new ends on one side... but they were nice enough to switch them out for me.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.