Let's discuss larger nozzles and idle quality

CurtisF

Reaction score
I understand what you meant after I reread. It was just on first read it sounded tell me the tricks kind of thing. Which being totally honest there is zero harm in asking even though that was not what you were doing. Hell whats the worst that happens. You do not get info and are right where you are. Best someone teaches you something that opens your eyes to a new way of looking at it and your tuning takes a big jump forward.

Exactly. I've learned a ton from other discussions in the past, and for me personally this is one of the last few pieces of the puzzle to put together. It's just that for some reason I'm approaching the idle situation from the wrong direction, and I can't figure out why.

Gearhead

Reaction score
Pocket just compare the MFD of a stock truck and one with injectors and see if you are in the same neighborhood.

smoker00

Reaction score
I am very interested in this... I'm to the point I need live tuned but I'm in the part of the country where there is know one even kind of close ... so I'm trying my hand at tuning with big b-codes and twin pumps also compounds. So will see.. as of now my ideal searches up and down.. I want to thank those who tune that have posted it helps us all.. so THANK YOU..All.:toast:

Power Hungry

Reaction score
Curtis, I'll give you a shout between Dr.s appointments tomorrow.

On a serious note, you need an emulator to save time and effort between tweaks. I think that would help you zero in on the problem/solution quicker and easier.

Yes, an emulator is really the best way to go for tuning any sort of aggressive setup. I can make more changes in 60 seconds than I could in 60 minutes using the the "tune and burn" method. It's the ONLY way to do "live" tuning.

Last edited:

OSCS

Reaction score
I wish David would chime in on this discussion. My 250-100's idle like crap and when I take it in and out of gear my RPM's shoot up and then Level back out

907DAVE

Reaction score
100%'s aren't necessarily a "large" nozzle. They really should not be any trouble to dial in.

:shrug:

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
100%'s aren't necessarily a "large" nozzle. They really should not be any trouble to dial in.

:shrug:

Depends on who is doing the tuning and who built the injectors, I've had a set of 80% nozzles in a truck that no tuner can get correctly dialed, but they run pretty awesome in my opinion after you get it out of the idle area.

Lets just blame the injector builder, just playin :clapping::clapping:

OSCS

Reaction score
FF built em David from DI tuned them. When I get some free time I'm gonna have Matt give it a try seeing as he's only an hour away from me

CurtisF

Reaction score
Pocket just compare the MFD of a stock truck and one with injectors and see if you are in the same neighborhood.

I've done some small as well as huge changes in the MFD table, and I've never been able to get it to affect idle quality. I have been able to get it to drastically change the feel of my accelerator pedal, but that's about it.

CurtisF

Reaction score
Curtis, I'll give you a shout between Dr.s appointments tomorrow.
I'm not working today. Not sure what your schedule is but give me a shout anytime today.

Yes, an emulator is really the best way to go for tuning any sort of aggressive setup. I can make more changes in 60 seconds than I could in 60 minutes using the the "tune and burn" method. It's the ONLY way to do "live" tuning.
I'm still interested in your new emulator :poke: :evil

Gearhead

Reaction score
The mass fuel desired table is really a Pedal position vs fuel commanded table. it has nothing to do with fueling.

Charles

Reaction score
A good option is the tweecer too. I can try 10 things in 10 minutes if I want. Not as fast as a romulator, but probably not as expensive either. IIRC, I gave like 300 ish for it. The other options weren't really existent back then. Maybe they are practical now.

Bill, what's the romulator/emulator setup go for these days for a DPC421?

As for idle quality, it's a balance between hazing and smoothness. If smoothness is all you desire, set the idle ICP at 400psi.

DONE, lol.

Last edited:

Charles

Reaction score
Also, no amount of tuning can make unbalanced cylinder compression, or unbalanced injectors idle super smooth.

Latest posts

Members online