Let's talk lockers

7.3obs

Reaction score
I would love to put a eton e locker in when I do my dana 60 but from a lot of reviews people haven't had much luck with them. Anyone run one?

psduser1

Reaction score
Yea never heard of it

Ok. Generally speaking, a "locker" keeps both axles tied together, locked, until forced to unlock. A "limited slip", aka factory locker acts as an open differential, until forced to lock. Berman kind of said that a few posts back. That's the basic difference between a limited slip and a locker.

An open diff allows the inner and outer tire to travel at different speeds as the vehicle moves through a turn. A locker, trying to keep both axles moving at the same speed, will "push" the inner axle, and tire, until tire/ground friction overcomes the lockers preload. With a newer, tighter unit, it'll force the inner tire to chirp, noticeably. As the locker wears, this release is more gradual, but it still happens.
During the preload stage of this cycle, before the locker releases, the inner tire is traveling the same speed as the outer tire. However, since the vehicle is turning, the inner tire is not travelling the same distance as the outer tire. The result is "scrub", as in, the inner tire is actually being dragged/pushed by the outer tire. It's less noticeable the longer the wheelbase, but it's there, trust me, lol. Shorter wheelbase exaggerate the action, which is why the selectable lockers were designed. Think cj3/5/7, samurai wheelbases.

m j

Reaction score
a limited slip locks the axles together until differential force exceeds the clutch materials friction, then it spins the friction material the entire time it is turning
lockers do not wear and get more gradual, that is a limited slip

psduser1

Reaction score
a limited slip locks the axles together until differential force exceeds the clutch materials friction, then it spins the friction material the entire time it is turning
lockers do not wear and get more gradual, that is a limited slip

Thanks for clarifying, mj. Although, I have to say that lockers will loosen up over time, but definetly on the same scale as a ls.

semmens3

Reaction score
Bringing this up again. Im looking for something to replace the rear end in my 6.0. The only time my truck's 4x4 is used is during the winter. I pull a 24' enclosed snowmobile trailer. Would a trutrac be the best choice for my application? I like the idea of a no spin but being pushed around an icy two lane corner because the no spin didn't disengage one wheel doesn't sound like fun to me.

Thanks for any insight.

pdumont01

Reaction score
Technically one wheel will slip when turning, they say they aren't safe but I've never had a problem either

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Layson

Reaction score
Definitely have to get used to it in the winter. It drives different through corners. It doesn't feel like something that helps. Lol

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Definitely have to get used to it in the winter. It drives different through corners. It doesn't feel like something that helps. Lol
although true, its nice to have both back tires spinning if one cant handle it and slides into a ditch.. many times i have seen where you can just drive out and not get stuck with the one tire spinning on ice while the other tire is on the gravel of the shoulder...

live life full throttle

m j

Reaction score
I wont own a truck without a detroit locker in the back, and usually the front too.
Canadian winter roads are the reason.

spinning tires only occur when you have no traction. so with a locker if either tire has traction no spinning happens, with all four locked spinning tires are less likely.

Reaction score
Has anyone ran the Truetrac in a 6.7? My 2wd truck didn't get anything from the factory and isn't happy at the track with one tire doing the work. It's not the typical one tire fryer but it needs some attention.

Jomax

Reaction score
Is t mike running a true Trac in his truck?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online