Let's talk lockers

dsberman94

Reaction score
True trac or no slip. Both a a posi rear. The difference is the truetrac splits power in a percentage to the rear tires. No slip is locked 50-50 to the rears, but it still turns around corners under light acceleration without locking up. Goose the throttle and it'll lock and slide. Watch the YouTube videos on them.

m j

Reaction score
Well before reading this thread I was thinking TT, but now when I do it I think I am going to go with No Slip for the rear. Probably TT for the front, but with the No Slip in the front cornering hubs unlocked would be just like an open diff, but turning with the hubs locked they are still locked correct?

no spin detroit in the front will not effect steering unless power is being sent to it. so hubs locked and TC in 2wdr steering is unaffected.

I dont think there is really a functional difference between the Grizzly and the Detroit, other then the softlocker parts on the detroit that serve no purpose IMO and must be removed for steer axle use.
I have a Grizzly in the 10.25 and a detroit in the d60

m j

Reaction score
True trac or no slip. Both a a posi rear. The difference is the truetrac splits power in a percentage to the rear tires. No slip is locked 50-50 to the rears, but it still turns around corners under light acceleration without locking up. Goose the throttle and it'll lock and slide. Watch the YouTube videos on them.

"no slip" is a powertrax lunchbox locker = junk
"no spin" is a detroit locker

not even close to the same thing
but
" ...it still turns around corners under light acceleration without locking up" this is incorrect.
the default position is LOCKed, it will unlock to allow differential action while turning if there is enough traction to overcome the side springs

dsberman94

Reaction score
I meant no spin. My b, they're similar sounding. As for the other, I got it confused with something else. But the true trac needs to have resistance on both tires to work properly. Whether applied by braking or by actual traction to the tires. If one tire is off the ground, or has no traction, it will not work properly.

Last edited:

Daddyusmaximus

Reaction score
Just get ARB air lockers. You choose when to lock or unlock them with the push of a button. World a difference when locked, TRUE 4x4... handles like a stock truck unlocked.

97stoker350

Reaction score
Na I'd rather something that just does what it's supposed to do all the time. But I like mashing it going through turns and powersliding that's what makes me leery about the no spin

Daddyusmaximus

Reaction score
I like to be able to turn, an air operated spool is still a spool

No, an air locker is both. You can have a spool or an open diff at any time, depending on your choice at the moment... with the press of a button. You turn off the locker, then make your turn, then turn the locker back on. That's the whole point... You choose. You can, if you need the traction, even engage and disengage the locker at any point during the turning maneuver if need be in rough situations.

m j

Reaction score
I use air lockers in heavy equipment all the time, they dont unlock at will like you are suggesting and ARB specifically stated not to crash lock them.
I am aware of how they operate, and still prefer a Detroit style in my vehicleswhere I dont have to fumble for a switch to have traction

Daddyusmaximus

Reaction score
Detroit was going to be my choice. I just didn't want to drive a Detroit on slick ice covered roads, as my truck is my one and only. Both daily driver and weekend wheeler, and mud tires on ice is already not the best choice.

Daddyusmaximus

Reaction score
I've used my lockers on ice and snow to get going. I just don't have them on once I get moving around corners.

HPGod

Reaction score
Another vote for the true Trac. I put one in my 6.0, 37's 4.56 gears. All mechanical. No chance of failure. The only need for a full selectable locker is if you're doing serious wheeling. (One tire off the ground etc).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
so, bringing back from the dead. kinda

is there a difference between a detroit no-spin, and a detroit locker? or are they one and the same?

i follow all the other differences, between all the other products mentioned thus far, it's just those two have been mentioned various times, but never together which made me wonder if the no-spin was the "street version" of the "off road version full locker."

which makes me ask this question, as well.

i get how a no spin works. that video of it few pages back was awesome. when turning on dry pavement for example, it can be forced open by the inside tire. now, me being a tree trimmer, there are times when were in the chit, and were driving through the "stump fields" in the slop. i have had a few circumstances where we've been hung up on a stump. now, with the aggressive lugs i had on that particular vehicle, it would literally hook the lip of the stump, and stop the tire from turning. the other one would continue to spin. in a circumstance like that, would the no-spin actually treat the tire that's "hooked", like the inside tire in a turn, and open itself up instead of forcing the tire to turn? i realize its all dependent on how hard the tire is hooked on the stump, but theoretically its possible, given i hook the tire hard enough.

and a follow up question for the guys with a no-spin in the snow. humor me. 4" of snow. typically in 3-4" on snow i generally don't need to put in 4wd. in 2wd, does it still turn good enough to not have to lock the front end in to pull the front end around? does it want to....push at all seeing as there is no traction to force the inside tire to open in the turn? or do you have to kind of get used to using the skinny pedal to turn, kinda initiating a minor/partial slide to navigate turns in 2wd? i realize that in 4wd, thats a moot point as the front will pull itself around.

psduser1

Reaction score
Detroit "no-spin" is a Detroit locker, yes. The updated version is called "softlocker", supposed to be a little gentler engage/disengage, and quieter. Maybe.
I've ran one for years, even on the street in a k5. It's noticeable, for sure, in a short wheelbase. Lwb, is going to be somewhat gentler, I imagine, and the newer ones may be a bit more refiner. The last one I bought has been several years ago. They just work.
You will probably have some tire scrub on the rear, especially when the unit is new, but they do loosen a little as they wear.

Latest posts

Members online