load pop, bang, in revearse. WTF

bfife

Reaction score
Hey All,
I don't post much, usually just listen and learn. Any way, my truck(02 550 4x4) has developed a load POP, BANG when I'm maneuvering the 5th wheel into a RV site. It only does it when I go from low to reverse or visa versa. I'll start to let out the clutch and sometimes, not always, its almost like the drivetrain slips a tooth. I mean there is a loud bang and the truck jumps, then its all good. till I go to pull forward then it does it again. It only does it when there is a high torque demand, never does it when I'm not towing. Low/reverse or reverse/low only. I thought it might be the chain in the Tcase, so I swapped it out but it still does it. Thought it might be something in the hitch, but last week I was moving my sons travel trailer and it did it again.
Now here are the specifics on the truck drivetrain
Midwest Trans ZF 6 30k
US gear OD (been completely gone through when I did the Tcase)
Tcase 7K on a Midwest rebuild
south bend DD clutch.
Dana 135 rear axle

Could this be the center plate on the clutch shifting?
Bad motor mounts? I jacked the motor up and can't get it to move one side more than the other
Carrier Bearing and U joints look OK, all though I'll admit I haven't pulled the driveline to really check them.
I really don't want to pull this thing in the RV park if I don't have to.
Thanks,

Barney

bfife

Reaction score
I've only got it to do it once unloaded. I was starting from a dead stop on a real steep grade. I felt a slight pop, then it was all good.
I have tried with the 2sp in high or low. Its doesn't seem to care.
Barney

Lethalthreat7.3

Reaction score
You might try having someone or yourself lie down along side your truck and look for the suspect "pop". Just make sure to stay clear. I've seen u-joints do this under heavy load. Watch the joints really close.

bfife

Reaction score
When I had the Tcase out, I wiggled all the joints. nothing felt bad. When I get a little free time I'll pull the shaft and check for a rough or bound joint. When this thing pops, it'll make the whole truck jump.
Finding someone willing lay down next to a moving dually with 18K behind it may prove to be futile. not many people have that sense of adventure. Unfortunately my wife can't drive any more, the chemo has pretty much sucked all the strength out of her.

Barney

Last edited:

Clem1226

Reaction score
does it feel like it is bound up before it pops?

I am also wondering if maybe the rear end is walking around? maybe a broken center bolt in a leaf pack or a broken spring eye.

7.3 Whitey

Reaction score
Check the track bar and steering knuckles. I had a hard to duplicate pop until I got under it and looked hard. Make sure its not in the steering setup...

bfife

Reaction score
Doesn't feel bound. more like something jumps a tooth. That's why I originally suspected the T case.
I don't see any broken spring eyes or mounts. The rear suspension on these 550's is almost hardtail. there isn't a lot of flex til you add about a 4K load.

Barney

bfife

Reaction score
No Ron, no electric anything. F550 XL--manual everything, hubs, Tcase, tranny.
As far as where its coming from.... feels like right in the center of the truck. the whole truck jumps. this isn't a small pop. I mean when it pops and bangs, the WHOLE truck jumps like the tranny just jumped a tooth.
Could this be a worn out shift collar between reverse and low?
It has done it with the 2sp in high or low.
it certainly has me scratching my head.

Thanks for all your ideas
Barney

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Slip joint in the drive shaft tight and not dry? My 01 does the same thing but its usually when its below freezing outside... but my slip joint is wore out.

live life full throttle

Clem1226

Reaction score
I read a thread on another forum that had a good outcome and positive customer support reported in regards to the IED carrier bearing.

Arisley

Reaction score
I refuse to install an IED on my truck. It might blow up.

Same reason I will not, ever, own a KIA. It might get killed going to the store.

Lethalthreat7.3

Reaction score
I have also seen this happen in the rear end due to pinion/ring gear problems. Have you checked the diff? Pretty easy to pull the cover and look for that "silvery oil" or pieces that shouldn't be there. With the heavy load you pull changing the oil is a maintenance I am sure you do. Just change it early to eliminate this possibility?

1ofakind79

Reaction score
I have also seen this happen in the rear end due to pinion/ring gear problems. Have you checked the diff? Pretty easy to pull the cover and look for that "silvery oil" or pieces that shouldn't be there. With the heavy load you pull changing the oil is a maintenance I am sure you do. Just change it early to eliminate this possibility?

His d135 doesn't have a cover. He could drain the oil and check it. But to inspect the gears he would have to remove the whole 3rd member.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.