Looking for Tonneau advice

Spray7.3

Reaction score
Hey all, I am in the market for a tonneau for the 96 and in need of some input from those who have had, do have or have experience with soft covers or tri-folds.. NOT interested in a hard cover.

Currently I have three possible options, two of which are from access, their lowest profile roll up models; The Vanish and the Lorado.

Along with the Tonno Pro hard cover OR soft cover Tri-fold. (Currently I don't know if they even offer these models for the obs.. Something I need to look in to..
SO, What are you all using, what do you like, is it low profile, Fit well/not fit well, etc.. Let me have it guys/gals.

Thanks in advance

kramarj

Reaction score
My friends dad used to own a business doing bed liners and truck accesories and he used Truxedo tonneau covers. I am not sure which model, but he has had the same one on two or three different trucks and my uncle has a Truxedo also and loves it.

Not sure if it is the exact one, but they both are very similar to this- http://www.truxedo.com/lopro/land.php

JDub

Reaction score
I've had the lorado cover on my 99 truck, really liked it. Installed easy and fit nice. I've since sold the truck and am driving a dmax now. With our winters and travelling to family, I decided a tonneu would be nice to have again. I odered the same lorado and am just as happy.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

PsRumors

Reaction score
I like the quality, ease of operation (install, removal, etc) and warranty of my Extang Trifecta http://www.extang.com/docs/trifecta.html

They come with a lifetime warranty. I had a corner turn up and they sent me a whole new unit. It is easy on and off, easy open and close. This was my first cover and am extremely pleased with it.

Spray7.3

Reaction score
Ps, does that Extang cover edge to edge as it shows in the picture?? That would be a huge plus! Would you consider it to be "low profile"?

Thanks for the replies, guys! I am looking into them all.

02POWERSTROKE7.3

Reaction score
Dustin, I would look into a extang cover. Made in Michigan, good quality, outstanding warranty, easy to use and install. Extang is the only cover I sell at work anymore.

Atsah

Reaction score
Dustin, I would look into a extang cover. Made in Michigan, good quality, outstanding warranty, easy to use and install. Extang is the only cover I sell at work anymore.

I am going to buy one this week for my new truck, I have had Access covers in the past and loved them and was planning on getting another, what are the benifits of an Extang as opposed to Access in your opinion?

02POWERSTROKE7.3

Reaction score
IMO the access is a cheaper built cover that cost just as much. If you get a Extang and have a problem, call the number on the cover and they will have parts or a new cover shipped out the same day.

Atsah

Reaction score
IMO the access is a cheaper built cover that cost just as much. If you get a Extang and have a problem, call the number on the cover and they will have parts or a new cover shipped out the same day.

Cheaper in what way? Reason I want to know is I'm going in the morning and look at four different brands in one place.. No highjacking intended OP..

Spray7.3

Reaction score
By all means ask away! I'm soaking this up as well, hoping to gain as much insight as possible.. I've never researched tonneaus before so this is all new to me..

Atsah

Reaction score
By all means ask away! I'm soaking this up as well, hoping to gain as much insight as possible.. I've never researched tonneaus before so this is all new to me..

Thanks.. My Access Limited cover was 1 1/2 inchs obove my rails and it made it nice for snow removal and water came off like a pitched roof.. The bows rolled up with the cover as I think most probably do.. I will have a look as the place I'm going in the morning have four displays so I'll update Monday night with what I decide on and why..

02POWERSTROKE7.3

Reaction score
Vinyl does not hold up as well(will fade over time and thinner), frame is thinner, some of them mount on the inside lip of the bed which always leak some water, center support bows are not as wide( will start to bend if cover is to flat and starts holding water on top,Tekstyle is really bad about this), other companies trifold covers dont have reinforced corners and some had to add tethers to keep them from flying off.

Atsah

Reaction score
Vinyl does not hold up as well(will fade over time and thinner), frame is thinner, some of them mount on the inside lip of the bed which always leak some water, center support bows are not as wide( will start to bend if cover is to flat and starts holding water on top,Tekstyle is really bad about this), other companies trifold covers dont have reinforced corners and some had to add tethers to keep them from flying off.

Okay thanks.. I will look at them closely..

Spray7.3

Reaction score
Thanks.. My Access Limited cover was 1 1/2 inchs obove my rails and it made it nice for snow removal and water came off like a pitched roof.. The bows rolled up with the cover as I think most probably do.. I will have a look as the place I'm going in the morning have four displays so I'll update Monday night with what I decide on and why..

Looking forward to hearing..

FallenAuthority

Reaction score
Surprised no one has recommended a retrax cover. I know I will be buying one when I get some spare cash. I've known a few people with retrax covers and they all loved them.

Atsah

Reaction score
Surprised no one has recommended a retrax cover. I know I will be buying one when I get some spare cash. I've known a few people with retrax covers and they all loved them.

Cost would be the issue as far Retrax goes for me.. Nice covers but there three times the cost of material cover..

PsRumors

Reaction score
Ps, does that Extang cover edge to edge as it shows in the picture?? That would be a huge plus! Would you consider it to be "low profile"?

Thanks for the replies, guys! I am looking into them all.

It sits on top of the rails and is just shy of edge to edge. It is about 1" tall.

This is the only picture I have. Extang replaced the whole cover, frame and all for the cover pulling up like you see.

IMG_2746.jpg

Clipper

Reaction score
Just fyi, but superduty covers also fit on obs trucks. I have one on my ccsb with no problems. Only difference is the back is slightly narrower then the front, not terribly noticeable at all.

Zmann

Reaction score
I just love the heck out of My Roll & Lock couldn't swing full price so waited for a craigs list buy

F250%20Roll%20N%20Lock.JPG

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.