Low Power, rough idle.

VC-Racing

Reaction score
Truck has run fine all day. I stopped to grab a drink and when I started up it had a minor miss. I pulled out into traffic and it began to stumble like it was running out of fuel. I also notice that my Oil pressure is running a tad higher than normal ( still in the normal range). Truck cranks and idles very rough and has a deeper knocking sound on the passenger side . I do not have a AE and the guy who does some of my work is on vacation. Truck will hardly make it to 2500 rpm and has a lil bit of smoke . I'm leaning toward a bad injector.

I've had a new CPS done on the recall about a yr ago, and HPOP o-rings and GPR 5 yrs ago and thats all engine wise, I have had a trans rebuild 2 yrs ago.

Note: Its getting close to time for a PM ( oil, filter, Fuel filter) .

Thanks,

Vic

TARM

Reaction score
CEL ? You really have to get the codes pulled as it could be a number of things. UVCH, IPR, ICP, injector and or its orings, etc

You could try unpluggin the ICP sensor and see what that does. Its on the driver's side head oil rail near the front. See if there is oil around the sensor connector.

While you are at it check the lock nut on the IPR is tight and has not fllen off It is the back of the HPOP on driver side.

For it to go out the way you said if it was an injector my guess would be oring/s tore thru.

You say passenger side. You can pull one of the HPOP connector in the passenger side oil rail. hook a connector that you can attach your air compressor line to. Then with the VC off you can listen to which on it blowing air. You could also unhook the UVCH and crank the engine over with the VC off and see if one injector was puking oil as that would indicate a poppet seat issue ( worn injector itself).

I like to start with the stuff that is the least work and go towards whats more work hence I would with codes or in your case those sensors then codes. Finally pull the VC.

How many miles are on that engine, assuming orig injectors?

Last edited:

VC-Racing

Reaction score
No CEL. Engine has 170k . Everything has been fine until yesterday. I did run the crap out of it earlier and it never skipped a beat. Like I said. I stopped and shut it off to run in to get a drink and when I came out to leave it had a strange sound when starting, it was ok on power for about 1/2 mile then it slowly started to loose power ( similar to running out of fuel), I got to a safe spot pulled over and it was running very rough. There is a lil more than a 1/4 tank of fuel. I'm getting ready to go get a fuel filter and try that. I will unplugg the ICP sensor and see if it changes anything. I need to drive it about 8 miles to get it home, reckon it will hurt it any more or do I need to tow it in ? Thanks for the help.

Vic

VC-Racing

Reaction score
Just got back.

Changed fuel filter and it took a while to level out, but its doing better. :redspotdance: Seems I may have got some contaminated fuel :cursing: , which clogged the filter, because when I pulled the filter out it was grimy looking.

So far, its all good. :redspotdance:

One think i found strange is the oil pressure is back to its usual spot on the cluster, I wonder if the lack of fuel at the injector made the oil pressure go up some?

I am going to try to get the fuel drained out and drop the tank to clean it and do the fuel tank mods in the next couple of weeks, not to mention, order an AE for future issues. Thank God its 5 oclock somewhere cause I need a :blitzed:......

Thanks,

Vic

TARM

Reaction score
Glad you got it worked out. I switched to changing my stock fuel filter with every oil change or every 5K. Most say 10K but it was easy to remember and cheap insurance before I swapped out the OEM fuel system.

Latest posts

Members online