Low priced regulated return options?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Sounds like I should at least try the black spring 66-72 psi for my FRx. I am only at 62 at idol now. I can't remember which port but my fuel pressure sender is in the back of the fuel bowl.

inspect the internals of the fpr first! its either that or your pump is getting week! take the info i gave you and use it.. ive been through all this same chit! but do what ya want... dropping pressure is NOT right. you can set the pressure at 80psi and will stay above the recommended 65psi but it still aint right! all that will do is make a failing pump continue to fail quicker!

live life full throttle

Turbo Man

Reaction score
inspect the internals of the fpr first! its either that or your pump is getting week! take the info i gave you and use it.. ive been through all this same chit! but do what ya want... dropping pressure is NOT right. you can set the pressure at 80psi and will stay above the recommended 65psi but it still aint right! all that will do is make a failing pump continue to fail quicker!

live life full throttle

I will defiantly check the regulator while installing the new spring. I have never been above 62 not even the day I installed the FRx. I was planing on the bigger spring because you said 65 is recomended. Larger spring is for 66-72 psi.

Turbo Man

Reaction score
all that will do is make a failing pump continue to fail quicker!

live life full throttle

O really! What could possibly be wrong with my 220k mile 13 year old original stock fuel pump? LOL .. I should just order a new Bosch one from Riffraff. Hopefully I can get in my friends shop today and check the fpr and install the new spring. That should tell me something. One step at a time. Thanks for all the great info and opinions so far!!

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
if your dropping pressure now your still going to drop pressure. it may stay above the 65psi. your pump has lived at 50ish psi its entire life. now that your trying to up the pressure its working harder to maintain, hence the drop in pressure... bump it 10-15 psi and its working harder and harder to keep it there thus reducing its life.. prolly last a year that way or it could last a week.. or just leave it like it is and keep an eye on it and save for when you absolutely need to figure it out.

live life full throttle

Last edited:

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
Maintaining pressure comes down to 2 issues...flow and regulation. The flow from the pump has to be adequate AT FULL DEMAND/LOAD and the pressure regulator has to be able to properly close to keep the pressure up. It's that simple.

Generally speaking, "Stage II" injectors (160cc Singles with 80-100% nozzles) and larger tend to experience pressure drop issues with a single stock pump (pump doesn't flow enough). Of course, the condition of the stock pump being used comes into play here as well...I'm speaking generally based on what we've seen over the years. While the injectors in this case are larger (200cc), the nozzles are relatively small (only 30%). This could very well be why he's only dropping to 50psi (and why "DieselFever" doesn't have any significant drop at all). There is a good chance the changing the fuel pump won't fix or even change the problem in this case (unless the replacement is so ridiculoulsy large that it outflows the return capability and causes artificially elevated pressures).

The difference between the OP and DieselFever (using the same pump and injectors)...an upgraded fuel system with proper pressure management. You simply can't ask the stock regulator, with it's tiny spring and poppet, to properly do the job. They are fine for "stock", but when more of the fuel is being used by the injectors, the factory poppet (even with a shimmed or stiffer spring) just can't prevent enough return flow to keep the pressure up. Moving to higher flowing lines and a quality pressure regulator has solved many fuel pressure problems that people wanted to blame on the pump...in both 7.3L and 6.0L trucks.

Turbo Man

Reaction score
I checked my FPR and it seems ok. No dirt or oring problem all looked good. I kept the spring I had in there to make it easier to be able to see if anything changed after taking the regulator apart. Well no changes. Going by what I'm reading here, my next step is to get a regulated return or new fuel pump. I just priced a new Ford pump and HOLLY COW is Ford proud of there pump! $581 to the average person, and $380 for me with my account at Ford. For that cost I would think there are better options?

Turbo Man

Reaction score
Riffraff has the Bosch for $146.65
Autozone has the Airtex for $154.00
Parts Geek has the Airtex for $106.60
Ford wants $581.00
Ford IS INSANE!!! How much better can the Ford pump be?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
ford comes with everything, pump, wires, mounting stuff... same kit dennis sells at strictly for i think 450ish... riffraff sells the exact same pump that is in the kits that dennis and ford sell, pump only 145.... do NOT get the airtex one... get the bosh from riffraff or a walbro or two pumps from riffraff.

Turbo Man

Reaction score
I am receiving a New stock Bosch pump today. I will see if that helps. It would be nice if it can keep up the pressure. If not, at least I know I have a new more reliable, not 220k mile old pump. The pump isn't costing me any money so why wouldn't I? Irate diesel's setup seems to be the lowest price, and is a bowl delete setup, and feeds from the back. I just wonder if the hard lines pick up a lot of heat?

under pressure

Reaction score
i would assume if you took fuel temps from the tank, there wouldnt be huge differences between RR set ups. Fuel is probably the hottest with the fuel bowl i would guess ( flowing through an overheated pressurized pot)

Turbo Man

Reaction score
I installed my new pump today. The old one was an aftermarket mabe Airtex, I thought it was a stock pump. Glad I got a new pump. New Bosch pump and I got 62 idol and crusing. Not quite WOT and it only drops to 55 now. Better but not good enough I think? Looks like a regulated return is needed?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
you really dont HAVE to do the full rr... do two parallel stock pumps. you already have the frx which will rid the system of air so save some coin... one stock pump is not going to keep up with those injectors regardless of what rr you run. thats why i said a walbro should be decent enough for that cuz it flows more then a stock pump..

live life full throttle

Dieselfever

Reaction score
you really dont HAVE to do the full rr... do two parallel stock pumps. you already have the frx which will rid the system of air so save some coin... one stock pump is not going to keep up with those injectors regardless of what rr you run. thats why i said a walbro should be decent enough for that cuz it flows more then a stock pump..

live life full throttle

See my post above, a single factory Super Duty pump supplying the same injectors with 65+ psi and only dropping 2-3 psi at WOT.

Turbo Man

Reaction score
Talked to my injector supplier Swamps and they said 70 psi, so I installed the larger regulator spring. I now get about 71 at idol and cruising and down to 60 when on it as hard as I can. Still wet slick roads. As far as two stock pump setup, I come out of my prepump filter head with two lines and feed the pumps. Then out of the two pumps to a y then into the line to the motor? What is the easiest way to connect to the line from the stock pump to the motor with a dual pump setup? Is there an adaptor fitting? Thanks

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
See my post above, a single factory Super Duty pump supplying the same injectors with 65+ psi and only dropping 2-3 psi at WOT.
yup i read it the first time.... you also have a full di rr and the op doesn't need to spend the extra coin when its cheaper to run dual pumps. and should then not drop a single pound of pressure... if he does drop pressure after installing the second pump, im still willing to bet the o rings in the fpr have a slight nick in them and it doesnt take much.. i kniw he said he checked over them but i thought i did to and then took a magnifying glass to them and noticed a couple bad spots in them... lkke i said, ive seen a walbro feed 250/200s and not drop a singke pound of pressure on a stock fuel system... he has the frx, now up the pressure with another stock pump and should be fine. can add the second pump for half the cost of a rr and take a chance at it still dropping pressure like you are... pressure should stay rock solid at 65psi but as the op stated, swamps told him 70psi.. so dual pumps is the way to go and maintain the psi thats recommended from the place he got the inj from.

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online