Manual Fog Light Switch

RedSmokey

Reaction score
Thank RedSmokey! So Im assuming I need a toggle switch with 3 connections? A pic of yours would be great!

Not required, a simple 2 connection, open/closed (off/on) will work. Ill get you some pics shortly. You only need the 3 connection if you want a switch with a light on/in it and you run a ground on the last connection so the light comes on when the switch is on. I have that switch but didnt bother grounding it it, the switch was just cheapest one that would work for me so I got it

RedSmokey

Reaction score
316383_2150838728779_1180686263_1929622_1034423621_n.jpg

There you guy. You can see the yellow and brown wire I tapped into, then using extra wire I had (red colored) I ran from the tap to a switch that connected the two when the switch was on. Ignore the tapped wire farthest to the right/bottom (tapped blue wire w/ yellow wire running from it), that is for my gauge lighting

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
316383_2150838728779_1180686263_1929622_1034423621_n.jpg

There you guy. You can see the yellow and brown wire I tapped into, then using extra wire I had (red colored) I ran from the tap to a switch that connected the two when the switch was on. Ignore the tapped wire farthest to the right/bottom (tapped blue wire w/ yellow wire running from it), that is for my gauge lighting

Awesome! So all I need is for those two wires(Yellow and Brown) to touch for everything to work?

RedSmokey

Reaction score
Yes, when the yellow and brown wires are connected to eachother, it will turn the fog lights on whenever the marker lights (or headlights or highbeams) are on. But dont cut them, I like to use those little tap things in the picture, you can get them from radio shack or other electronics stores.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Yes, when the yellow and brown wires are connected to eachother, it will turn the fog lights on whenever the marker lights (or headlights or highbeams) are on. But dont cut them, I like to use those little tap things in the picture, you can get them from radio shack or other electronics stores.

Okay... Is there a certain size switch I should use?

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Nah, I don't think it matters. I just got what works/looks best for where I wanted to mount it

Okay. Is there a reason why I shouldn't cut the wires? I plan on using those little clip things like you have pictured, but I am just curious as to why I shouldn't cut the wire.

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
Okay. Is there a reason why I shouldn't cut the wires? I plan on using those little clip things like you have pictured, but I am just curious as to why I shouldn't cut the wire.

Because its probably a pita to resplice them together again...

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Oh I forgot to ask... RedSmokey, what year is the truck you did this on? I know the headlight switch changed a couple different times so before I got hacking into wires I want to make sure this is all correct.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Okay so I got it figured out. I took a few pictures too.

As stated before, this mod will enable you to run:

Running light with or without fogs.
Low beams with or without fogs.
High beams with or without fogs.

As stated before, all you do is splice into the yellow wire and the brown wire. Connect a new wire to each splice. Run these 2 wires up to a switch. That's it.

Thanks for the help guys!

Here are a few pics...

Materials used:
photo36.jpg

Brown wire spliced:
photo37.jpg

Yellow wire spliced:
photo38.jpg

Switch installed:
photo39.jpg

RedSmokey

Reaction score
Sorry I wasnt back on earlier. This was on my 01 also. See, quick and easy. And about cutting the wires, im pretty sure if you cut them you would also kill the switch for your running lights (not be able to turn them on)

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Okay so here are a few pics of the results... It's hard to see the difference between high beams and low beams on the camera because it adjusts itself. These three pictures are of:

Running lights with fogs.
Low beams with fogs.
High beams with fogs.
... In that order.
p1.jpg

p2.jpg

p3.jpg

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Lmao all this over that....... cali surfers...... LOL LOL

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
LOL This whole thread just to make the fogs turn on... JBONE!!!!!!!!!!!:blitzed: <----that ones you LOL

Latest posts

Members online