mild or hot street build?

2000wa250

Reaction score
I'm currently running 250/200 with a 467. Nice combo. Do I have a fully built motor? NO. Am I planning on buying a spare motor and possibly throwing billet rods and a girdle in it? YES. Do I flog on my truck? Yes.

However, I understand that I am not going to be able to run this truck all out, all the time, on stock forged rods. I know on my old tunes from Cale before I started tuning it myself, I made approx. 550HP and just over a grand torque. There were some significant issues, but that gives you an idea of what the set up you are looking at can do.

Now that I am tuning it myself I can tell you I am a lot more cautious as far as romping on it. However, I still have a responsive DD, that is fun, can (and has) broken the tires loose at 65 on the freeway (I dont recommend it, its fun, but scary as **** when you are merging). My current tune (I only run one to DD right now) is almost smoke free, but then again I am running very minimal PW (benefit of 200% nozzles) and very conservative as far as the SOI tables go.

Heres my advice. Buy your injectors, turbo and oil to suit your needs, but include in your budget at least a replacement stock motor. If I was to do it all over again, I would have bought the spare motor first, then modded the one in my truck. As it is, I have a line on a few spares, and as soon as the funds are readily available, will by purchasing one and it will be going onto a stand in my garage. Whether or not I build it up with billet rods and everything, is another question, but the way I see it, I want to at least have a spare engine that I can put my stuff onto to get me back on the road vs a truck sitting waiting for me to get a motor figured out.

Oh, and for what its worth, 250/200's and the 467 makes for a very fun set up. Thats on a manual truck. I cant imagine how much fun it would be with an automatic. As it is, I'm a lot slower than I want to be, simply because I lose boost when I shift.

Either way, just be realistic. As soon as you cross the 500HP barrier you are on barrowed time... And as far as that, your tuning makes a huge difference. Do more research on that then you do on anything else. Remember, you can throw as many parts that should work together on a motor as you want, but its the tuning that tells those parts both how to act, and controls the way they work together to keep your engine running, and running healthy.

Homesteader

Reaction score
I'm currently running 250/200 with a 467. Nice combo. Do I have a fully built motor? NO. Am I planning on buying a spare motor and possibly throwing billet rods and a girdle in it? YES. Do I flog on my truck? Yes.

However, I understand that I am not going to be able to run this truck all out, all the time, on stock forged rods. I know on my old tunes from Cale before I started tuning it myself, I made approx. 550HP and just over a grand torque. There were some significant issues, but that gives you an idea of what the set up you are looking at can do.

Now that I am tuning it myself I can tell you I am a lot more cautious as far as romping on it. However, I still have a responsive DD, that is fun, can (and has) broken the tires loose at 65 on the freeway (I dont recommend it, its fun, but scary as **** when you are merging). My current tune (I only run one to DD right now) is almost smoke free, but then again I am running very minimal PW (benefit of 200% nozzles) and very conservative as far as the SOI tables go.

Heres my advice. Buy your injectors, turbo and oil to suit your needs, but include in your budget at least a replacement stock motor. If I was to do it all over again, I would have bought the spare motor first, then modded the one in my truck. As it is, I have a line on a few spares, and as soon as the funds are readily available, will by purchasing one and it will be going onto a stand in my garage. Whether or not I build it up with billet rods and everything, is another question, but the way I see it, I want to at least have a spare engine that I can put my stuff onto to get me back on the road vs a truck sitting waiting for me to get a motor figured out.

Oh, and for what its worth, 250/200's and the 467 makes for a very fun set up. Thats on a manual truck. I cant imagine how much fun it would be with an automatic. As it is, I'm a lot slower than I want to be, simply because I lose boost when I shift.

Either way, just be realistic. As soon as you cross the 500HP barrier you are on barrowed time... And as far as that, your tuning makes a huge difference. Do more research on that then you do on anything else. Remember, you can throw as many parts that should work together on a motor as you want, but its the tuning that tells those parts both how to act, and controls the way they work together to keep your engine running, and running healthy.

That sounds like and awesome and fun setup you got there. I'll be sending you a pm later on a few things.

97stoker350

Reaction score
Pretty much what i have hence the sig but I think I will someday go to 400/400 s and a 475 with a gen 3 but it wont be my dd then either lol and also I will lose the lift then too. I'm happy with my truck now tho just have to watch sometimes because I don't have traction bars yet. Im b89s bro btw and I embarrased him in a race big time

brian89

Reaction score
Pretty much what i have hence the sig but I think I will someday go to 400/400 s and a 475 with a gen 3 but it wont be my dd then either lol and also I will lose the lift then too. I'm happy with my truck now tho just have to watch sometimes because I don't have traction bars yet. Im b89s bro btw and I embarrased him in a race big time

I would hope you beat me, and it really wasn't an embarrassment, you vot me on the jump but in the top end you really weren't pulling away hardly at all

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
I will be doing all my own work so it won't be that much

LOL

Ya it will.

Refer to my sig, track times puts it close to 600HP. In my opinion to make 650 you will need bigger then a 200% nozzle.

Ive ran 238/100s with a H2E. 250/200s with an s471 and now 400/200s with the S475. I just added a wastegate to my setup. Fixed uppipes and had a transmission warrentied because I fragged the TC. Somedays I wish I stuck with the first setup

The last time I added up the reciepts for just the big purchases it was 16,8xx$. That is just into the motor. Trans, gauges, tuning, PCS, wheels, Traction aids and safety provisions, shipping and small things like fittings, tools needed to do the job, oils, gaskets, o rings, fuel to pick up parts and shipping parts are all extra.

ITS EXPENSIVE. And my truck spends as much time on the road a year as it sits in the driveway waiting for upgrade/parts to repair.

Honestly as fun as 600hp is. With the 75 its a pain to tow with. A hazard in the rain and snow. Anything over 10psi of boost and the assend tries to pass the front. You do end up conforming to the trucks driving habits or you just dont drive it.

My advice to you, a gated 366 and 250/80s. It will do everything and more compared to a stock 7.3. And will still put you easily in the low 500HP range.

If you still desire more and be a DD that can tow and produce 650hp or more on fuel and you want to use the 7.3 platform. Twins, 400/400s, big oil and a built motor/trans and hours spent on the phone tweaking tunes or learning yourself are in your future.

Whatever you choose good luck. I will say though. The joy of seeing a Cummings or Durapad owner butthurt when they get their ass handed to them by a lowly Ferd with a 7.3 make it work every dollar.

I wouldnt trade mine for the world. The 7.3 community makes it worth every long night with the hood up and every dollar spent.

Last edited:

OSCS

Reaction score
LOL

Ya it will.

Refer to my sig, track times puts it close to 600HP. In my opinion to make 650 you will need bigger then a 200% nozzle.

Ive ran 238/100s with a H2E. 250/200s with an s471 and now 400/200s with the S475. I just added a wastegate to my setup. Fixed uppipes and had a transmission warrentied because I fragged the TC. Somedays I wish I stuck with the first setup

The last time I added up the reciepts for just the big purchases it was 16,8xx$. That is just into the motor. Trans, gauges, tuning, PCS, wheels, Traction aids and safety provisions, shipping and small things like fittings, tools needed to do the job, oils, gaskets, o rings, fuel to pick up parts and shipping parts are all extra.

ITS EXPENSIVE. And my truck spends as much time on the road a year as it sits in the driveway waiting for upgrade/parts to repair.

Honestly as fun as 600hp is. With the 75 its a pain to tow with. A hazard in the rain and snow. Anything over 10psi of boost and the assend tries to pass the front. You do end up conforming to the trucks driving habits or you just dont drive it.

My advice to you, a gated 366 and 250/80s. It will do everything and more compared to a stock 7.3. And will still put you easily in the low 500HP range.

If you still desire more and be a DD that can tow and produce 650hp or more on fuel and you want to use the 7.3 platform. Twins, 400/400s, big oil and a built motor/trans and hours spent on the phone tweaking tunes or learning yourself are in your future.

Whatever you choose good luck. I will say though. The joy of seeing a Cummings or Durapad owner butthurt when they get their ass handed to them by a lowly Ferd with a 7.3 make it work every dollar.

I wouldnt trade mine for the world. The 7.3 community makes it worth every long night with the hood up and every dollar spent.

well ***IN said

TyCorr

Reaction score
My truck was theschit with 250/80s. a s366 and big oil!

I'm gonna place a set of 80% edm nozzles on my 275s and have Matt tune it. Based on what you experienced and a couple others I opted to go this route instead of the 200% nozzles. I need to dip my toes in the waters of tuning before I go to bigger nozzles.

brian89

Reaction score
Is a stage one cam worth the $500+? Just wondering because I've never really seen anybody mention putting a cam in these trucks for on the street

Jason

Reaction score
From what I remember...isn't that Ty's wife??

If so...(and don't take it the wrong way, BUUUUT) hey man, let me know if you two ever split up, ole buddy ole pal ;)

DocBar

Reaction score
From what I remember...isn't that Ty's wife??

If so...(and don't take it the wrong way, BUUUUT) hey man, let me know if you two ever split up, ole buddy ole pal ;)
Since you like oraling coal, I doubt Ty will be too mad or feel threatened. LOL

Latest posts

Members online