rusty1161

Reaction score

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    849.9 KB · Views: 88

rusty1161

Reaction score
I got to drive it a few miles today and I like it already in the fact that the fan isn't engaged all of the time as it was with my worn fan clutch. The truck is much quieter. I am curious about fuel economy improving since the fan was engaged so much of the time.

Also, the Horton fan clutch needs a larger wrench to remove it than the stock fan clutch uses. I didn't measure it yet, but I tried to put my fan clutch wrench on the Horton it didn't fit.

Rusty

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Well, I installed my fan clutch today.

The temperature switch was installed a couple of days ago in the passenger side head, right next to the dipstick tube. That only took 20 minute or so and I lost maybe half a quart of coolant when I did it, I just swapped the plug and sensor really quick.

The fan clutch install only took me 2 hours or so, and that included modifying the bracket for the anti-rotation strap, just like that thread from the ORG. I just flattened mine and drilled a new hole, and used a vacuum pump bolt to secure it. This creates two issues to look out for and I will be looking for a new mounting point when I do my water pump in the near future. I needed to get this thing roadworthy ASAP since it's my daily driver. First, this required pulling the vacuum pump pulley to use the bolt. Not a big deal in my driveway. Second, this location puts the strap inside of the serpentine belt and will require the fan clutch or anti-rotation strap to be removed to change the belt. That is an issue on the side of the road.

I hooked up the harness and broke in the fan clutch per the instructions. I don't have the A/C switch or manual override installed yet, just waiting on some parts, but I should be okay for a few days. I will say, when that thing engages, even at idle, you know it. I used my original metal fan, good thing I didn't scrap it. I have a 6.0 fan for sale if anyone in Socal is looking for one.

Thanks for all of the tips! I will keep this updated as time goes by.

Rusty

attachment.jpg

You can stud the bolt on the vacuum pump. Use one nut to fasten the vacuum pump, put the strap on :doh: and use another nut for the strap.

I don't think the strap is inside the belt. Can't the belt go over the fan blade for removal?

Billy T.
[email protected]

rusty1161

Reaction score
You can stud the bolt on the vacuum pump. Use one nut to fasten the vacuum pump, put the strap on :doh: and use another nut for the strap.

I don't think the strap is inside the belt. Can't the belt go over the fan blade for removal?

Billy T.
[email protected]

I'll have to try that with the belt. It sure looked like it wouldn't work, but I was in a rush to get it done.

The stud idea is good, too. And that one bolt, holding the white pleather to the flattened bracket is pretty simple to remove. There are some options.

Rusty

rusty1161

Reaction score
There is a 1/2 coolant plug at the rear of the driver's side head. I want to keep the wires on the driver side as I don't want wires running all over the place. I didn't check how the coolant flows on the 7.3.

I'll swinging by my shop later today. If I remember, I'll get the info/pics for the connector and AC switch. I haven't looked into the terminal arrangement on the switch.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Your plan with the harness is a good one. I still need to work on routing the included harness a bit cleaner.

Rusty

Reaction score
Rusty, why didn't you use the 6.0 fan? Also, I'm going to need a 6.0 fan, but not in socal. If, your interested in trying to ship to Georgia, just pm me a price if ya don't mind, I haven't called my Ford guy at the dealer yet, so I don't even have a clue what Ford charges, I'll try to remember to do that tomorrow., I need the 6.0 fan cause I just bought someone else's fluid damper for a SD, so it has no spacer

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

rusty1161

Reaction score
The 6.0 fan is closes to the radiator, and that is the reason why it works with the stock fan clutch and the Fluidampr. The Horton puts it too close to the radiator.

I bet it wouldn't be cost effective for either of us, versus buying from a dealer or Sunrise Ford and having them ship it.

Rusty

Reaction score
Just in case someone needs it, here's the part numbers for the 6.0 fan:

Radiator Fan, 6.0L
(Motorcraft) YA-245
(Ford) 3C3Z-8600-AB

List is $105.96, AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake is $64.11, I don't know what Sunrise is. Cheers!

rusty1161

Reaction score
Well, thanks for the response...

Do y'all not trust a new Ford clutch?

222,000 miles on my truck, fan clutch was bad, always engaged. It failed the broom test.

Reading posts about the Hayden fan clutch didn't give me much confidence, and about the same with the Motorcraft. The Motorcraft fan clutch is $250-300. I got my Horton setup, shipped complete for $399. A worthwhile upgrade for me since it had to be replaced anyway.

Rusty

Reaction score
222,000 miles on my truck, fan clutch was bad, always engaged. It failed the broom test.

Reading posts about the Hayden fan clutch didn't give me much confidence, and about the same with the Motorcraft. The Motorcraft fan clutch is $250-300. I got my Horton setup, shipped complete for $399. A worthwhile upgrade for me since it had to be replaced anyway.

Rusty
Gotcha

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Just in case someone needs it, here's the part numbers for the 6.0 fan:

Radiator Fan, 6.0L
(Motorcraft) YA-245
(Ford) 3C3Z-8600-AB

List is $105.96, AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake is $64.11, I don't know what Sunrise is. Cheers!

RockAuto sells the Motorcraft YA-245 for $57.79. Find a 5% coupon somewhere and it'll be cheaper.

Billy T.
[email protected]

79jasper

Reaction score
So to use the mishimoto in a 94, you have to switch over to the degas bottle setup?
My factory one is a 4 row core, with the cap on it.

JSchuricht

Reaction score
I just went through the swap on my 95 which was built Nov 94 with the IDI radiator. It's not just the degas bottle. The mounts are different, the hoses including the heater ones are different, the mount is different and the shroud is different.

I have a thread on the org with details, still need to finish uploading the pics. Basically I used the sides of the IDI radiator as a base for the mount and modified the shroud to fit but I will need to find the right shroud as the modified one isn't a good solution.

danielzink

Reaction score
Looks like radiators are back available at this price on their website for those of you needing one!

Ordered mine Oct 14th along with the silicone hose kit.

It arrived yesterday.

Part of my winter to do list....along with a new 4739 trans cooler and the Max AC mod.

Dan