modded idm

Blowby

Reaction score
I have one on the F250 and a spare as a back up for the track. Won't leave home without it. :thumbsup:

Swaan

Reaction score
I got a hf/Hv one from swamps and it made the engine run crisper. It smokes less and burns cleaner. Can tell a difference for sure. My stock one was a 100 volt and not sure what kind of condition it was in.

TARM

Reaction score
What year was your Truck I know the OBS see the largest benefit. I have been dragging my feet for not good reason to pick up one from Swamps. If you look carefully at the data there is a good reason and benefit to the way they do them IMO. One thing I have always liked about Swamps is the way they lay out the tech papers when they release them.

Swaan

Reaction score
My truck was a 97. The idm that was in it was a 100 volt.
You can tell the fuel is being atomized better with the new swamps ibm. I also have stg1 injectors and a srp1.1 on the truck. For the money it is worth it , IMO !

golfer

Reaction score
there are (4) different IDM MODELs...

100A

these "numbers" have ZERO correlation to output voltage...nada...zip...

ALL 7.3L IDM's from 1994.5-2003 output the exact same voltage from the factory...regardless as to what MODEL number the board revision labeled on the case.

IDM's can become weak over time, as can be seen at this link...but the weakness isn't generally associated with a loss of voltage...but rather an increase in the 'gap' during the PWM signal WHILE the injector is firing...

http://swampsdiesel.com/IDM/Injector Waveforms.htm

Graph 1 shows a normal/stock IDM..

Graphs 6&7 show the increased gap on high mileage IDMs...however the VOLTAGE (amplitude) is identical for every one of these IDMs...regardless of the model number.

All IDM's have this gap, which is normally.32 to .36 ms. As IDM's age, this gap grows longer, and performance suffers when it gets aver .42-.45ms or so.

This link http://swampsdiesel.com/IDM/High-Performance IDMs.htm
shows the distinct difference in waveform after the voltage (amplitude/height of the signal) modification (Graph 1 is stock, Graph 2 is voltage only)...as well as the increased frequency modification...(Graph 19 is HV stock frequency...and finally Graph 20 is our High Voltage High Frequency IDM).

I'm not discounting the 'butt-o-meter' affects of swapping from a MODEL "100" or MODEL "100A" IDM to a later MODEL 120...

but any (real or perceived) increase in performance could only be attributed to the decreased 'gap' of simply installing a 'newer' IDM...NOT from the later model IDM's having any more actual voltage...

hope this finally clears up any confusion and misconception regarding the differences between any of the stock IDMs...as there is no difference...other than circuit design, and a model number..the output signaling was identical (when these IDMs were new).

TARM

Reaction score
Its my next upgrade. Been dragging my feet for no good reason.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Anyone think this might help some worn poppet issues?

Injectors are shot, will not start cold, but I am hoping to get thru winter before replacing them...

IDM might kick them in the ass a bit to help on the cold start maybe?

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Honestly I dont see that helping you much, though it is about time you have one on the truck anyway....and if it did help your killing 2 birds with one stone.

If your IDM is weak enough the gap between pulses could be large enough that a modded/rebuilt one would help shorten them up and help cold starts. But thats about the only way I could see it

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.