Modded or OEM solenoids in a built transmission?

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
Getting ready to order some parts to build my 5r this winter, wondering what solenoids to run with the upgraded clutch packs?

With all the additional clutch material is an upgraded epc and direct solenoid necessary or are they just going to cause harsh shifts?

strokin6L

Reaction score
No one makes an upgraded epc solenoid. Most use either a modded direct drive solenoid or a stock epc solenoid in place of the direct drive solenoid.

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
I'm familiar with the epc direct solenoid swap.. Came across this when I was searching for a good price on some oem solenoids

http://www.mts-diesel.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=181

They list a modded direct and epc solenoid. Haven't done any research to see if they're the only ones that do modded epc, nor have I contacted mts to find out what it actually is.

strokin6L

Reaction score
You have a good built tranny and good tuning....you shouldn't need any upgraded solenoids. Just use stock/OEM solenoids.

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
That's what I figured.. The modded direct solenoids being more of an upgrade for the stock clutch packs.

Last edited:

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
Mark kovaleski ( I'm sure that's way off lol ) but anyway , he says adding more pressure isn't always good. He doesn't think the added pressure these solenoids supply are a good thing. Does he have proof, no. But he says the trans is designed around x amount of psi and upping just the psi isn't the fix all. Now, I'm sure it will help more with a modded transmission that has more clutches versus applying more psi to the stock clutch pack

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
No, the modded solenoids are a bandaid for the factory direct clutch packs that aren't necessarily strong enough for tuned trucks that are driven hard.

When you add clutches to the direct drum you gain surface area therefore the added pressure isn't needed and really just has potential to create an overly harsh shift between really aggressive clutches and additional pressure over stock.

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
Harsh shifts are very hard on the driveline, this I know.. But I've never had a modded solenoid and was just making sure my thinking is correct, that a modded solenoid isn't needed with a quality clutch kit

Latest posts

Members online