Modification for Global Travel

BRUTUS

Reaction score
Hello everybody, this won’t be a terribly exiting post as I came here for information rather than to enlighten others. That being said, I intend to actually follow your suggestions.

I have a 2011 6.7 fully locked 4x4 riding on Kings and with custom work protecting just about anything that’s vulnerable. It’s a real brute that will go just about anywhere.

Here is my immediate goal:

I will soon depart to travel through South America and then ship it on over to Oz and back.

I need to bullet proof my rig in a very real way.

My priorities:

1. Be able to run on high sulfur diesel without so much as a hiccup.
2. Remove EGR (its already caused me to run to the dealer on multiple occasions)
3. Remove DPF, eliminate regeneration cycles, eliminate the necessity for carrying DEF and possibly utilize the DEF tank as a spare fuel tank.
4. Remove the speed governor, although I have nothing against possessing a RPM governor if such a thing would prevent engine damage.
5. Replace or remove ALL of the EPA related sensors / temperature / NOS / O2 etc… that brings the engine into limp mode the very minute they are faulty.
6. I realize that I’ll need a programmer, but really don’t care to monitor all the **** that’s going on nor do I care to shift from one tune to the other; in short, I don’t want a display but if I must have one then I’ll end up mounting it under the rear seat or some such thing.
7. I DO NOT WANT MORE POWER. I need this thing to be robust even if its detuned and at the expense of performance.

Yes, I chose the wrong vehicle for the application as its far too sophisticated a machine for touring many of the developing lands I intend to visit. That being said, I’ve poured everything I’ve got into a truck I am proud of and would need your help to do this right.

I’ve seen that H&S at one point or another offered a high sulfer tune but required that I fill out a form approved by the EPA with my VIN detailed on it, etc… yea, that’s totally going to happen. Has everybody discontinued these programmers? Is everything I see on sale previously manufactured equipment?

Finally, is there anything truly weak about my turbo that YOU would consider replacing before such a trip?

I appreciate your help.

Keep in mind that I’m talking about traveling outside of the states but do not intend to give my detailed information to any government agency.

Kind regards, BRUTUS

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Hello everybody, this won’t be a terribly exiting post as I came here for information rather than to enlighten others. That being said, I intend to actually follow your suggestions.

I have a 2011 6.7 fully locked 4x4 riding on Kings and with custom work protecting just about anything that’s vulnerable. It’s a real brute that will go just about anywhere.

Here is my immediate goal:

I will soon depart to travel through South America and then ship it on over to Oz and back.

I need to bullet proof my rig in a very real way.

My priorities:

1. Be able to run on high sulfur diesel without so much as a hiccup.
2. Remove EGR (its already caused me to run to the dealer on multiple occasions)
3. Remove DPF, eliminate regeneration cycles, eliminate the necessity for carrying DEF and possibly utilize the DEF tank as a spare fuel tank.
4. Remove the speed governor, although I have nothing against possessing a RPM governor if such a thing would prevent engine damage.
5. Replace or remove ALL of the EPA related sensors / temperature / NOS / O2 etc… that brings the engine into limp mode the very minute they are faulty.
6. I realize that I’ll need a programmer, but really don’t care to monitor all the **** that’s going on nor do I care to shift from one tune to the other; in short, I don’t want a display but if I must have one then I’ll end up mounting it under the rear seat or some such thing.
7. I DO NOT WANT MORE POWER. I need this thing to be robust even if its detuned and at the expense of performance.

Yes, I chose the wrong vehicle for the application as its far too sophisticated a machine for touring many of the developing lands I intend to visit. That being said, I’ve poured everything I’ve got into a truck I am proud of and would need your help to do this right.

I’ve seen that H&S at one point or another offered a high sulfer tune but required that I fill out a form approved by the EPA with my VIN detailed on it, etc… yea, that’s totally going to happen. Has everybody discontinued these programmers? Is everything I see on sale previously manufactured equipment?

Finally, is there anything truly weak about my turbo that YOU would consider replacing before such a trip?

I appreciate your help.

Keep in mind that I’m talking about traveling outside of the states but do not intend to give my detailed information to any government agency.

Kind regards, BRUTUS

post a pic !

BRUTUS

Reaction score

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    863.9 KB · Views: 275

BRUTUS

Reaction score
Testing the vehicle to determine exactly where the limits are

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    646.2 KB · Views: 194

BRUTUS

Reaction score
Installing the front locker – I can climb through serious $%^&

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 180

BRUTUS

Reaction score
Installing Kings – upon closer inspection of this pic you can see the oil filter is completely protected.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    795.7 KB · Views: 202

BRUTUS

Reaction score
Earthroamer?

No, I might think that’s cool when I’m 70 but for now I prefer to leave the kitchen sink at home. The only thing I care about their build, are the Hutchinson’s.
To each there own. BTW, I just looked through your pics and saw this awesome lever next to the drivers seat. I’m guessing you’re a machinist.

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
I wanna see this rig as a whole!!

Side note, I'd get an H&S with MCC tuning so you can get as custom as a tune as possible. Contact Matt @ GearheadPerformance, I'd bet he can take care of you.

As for DEF/fuel... Pull the DEF and check into Titan tanks to increase your capacity.
Other than that... Go all No Limit on the delete, CCV, intercooler piping for sure, maybe HD boots for a reliability stand point.

BRUTUS

Reaction score
Thanks, that's at least 2 leads I will follow up on as soon as I am able. As for the full pic of the vehicle, I'll post something as soon as I get it. Pretty busy getting things ready. Keep the recommendations coming, by all means. Any specific tune already in existence with robustness in mind? Another thing I've always wondered: what's the max mileage that's been observed (trouble free) in a tuned 6.7? I understand the many variables, but it goes to reason that someone running tunes with all the $&@$ deleted that does have many trouble free miles under his belt, is someone who drives conservatively. Lastly, what are the odds that Software engineers working for the manufacturer either embed code meant to sabatoge aftermarket tunes OR there are hidden parameters that aftermarket tunes cannot manipulate? It's not as paranoid a question as you might think, manufacturers engage in dirty practices all the time, so much so that Ford HQ recently wrote that we as consumers own the hardware to our vehicles BUT are merely licensees when the brains of our machines are concerned.
Ps. I'm not here to start ****, you soldiers know much more than I, I'm simply interested in your opinions.

BRUTUS

Reaction score
Just to clarify why I bring this up, imagine for a moment having something go wrong in Central America, not a single mechanic / dealer would know where to begin. Nonetheless, I'm still doing this trip in this truck, I wouldn't want to do it in any other vehicle. To add to my worries, NO one sells the service manual for our trucks, what the hell?

BRUTUS

Reaction score
One last piece of info I'm curious about, I was told that a subset of our trucks destined for the Mexican market ship out of Kuntucky without ANY EPA related hardware and a factory tune that is compatible with all the deletions. Q: if true, can a tune be copied from such vehicles and reinstalled in another?

Sahrens0202

Reaction score
How about welded axle tubes to the housing? 3 or 4 link the front with PMF or OUO. Traction bars from the same place. All oils from LE. I'd get a hold of Morgan @ Midwest, Jared@RCD and Mike @ No Limit about needed engine modifications. Maybe a larger filter before the factory set up for fuel in case you don't get good fuel. Like a extreme water separator? Heavy duty axles? Dynatrac free spin kit?

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
Traction bars are probably going to hurt this guy from a clearance standpoint.

As for the factory tunes on the Mexico trucks... i'd get with Matt @ Gearhead. I'm positive he could actually tune the truck down if your really worried about it, but stock deleted should be fine.

I've actually thought about this ALOT as I've been spending to much freakin time over at Expo Portal.

Raise the rear shock mounts
Weld axle tubes (good suggestion)
FULL EGR delete.
Gearhead tuning (Stock with as many sensors as possible turned off)
Delete Pipe for exhaust
PMF 3 link is a good suggestion aswell
Upgrade the intercooler piping as they tend to fatigue and blow.
I kinda like SuperArmor bumpers honestly (integrated winch)

Questions..
Stock fuel pump filter fine or upgrade?
Is the tranny cooler sufficient or add one for offroad scenario?
What happens if you run High Sulfur diesel in these??

Latest posts

Members online