Muffler suggestions?

Clean-15

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried on of those electric cut outs? I'd like mine to be quiet as stock most of the time but loud if I want on demand. Might be interesting trying to get it in front the muffler/resonator though. Anyone?

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried on of those electric cut outs? I'd like mine to be quiet as stock most of the time but loud if I want on demand. Might be interesting trying to get it in front the muffler/resonator though. Anyone?

Funny you say this. I was just sitting under my truck trying to figure out if there is room for a 4" cut out before the res/muffler and then run a 4" pipe along side the res/muffler and Y it back into the tail pipe.

You could easily run a 30" fte and a piece of 4" pipe side by side connected with two Y's and use an electronic cut out to switch between the two.

even a 3" bypass would probably make a drastic difference

http://www.jegs.com/i/Race-Ready/815/EC400S/10002/-1?parentProductId=757985 not cheap though

Last edited:

Clean-15

Reaction score
I was thinking the exact same thing, just didn't get to explaining the pipe going back into the tailpipe. I think that may be the way I try it once I deeeeleeet.

HOUTX01X

Reaction score
Funny you say this. I was just sitting under my truck trying to figure out if there is room for a 4" cut out before the res/muffler and then run a 4" pipe along side the res/muffler and Y it back into the tail pipe.

You could easily run a 30" fte and a piece of 4" pipe side by side connected with two Y's and use an electronic cut out to switch between the two.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Race-Ready/815/EC400S/10002/-1?parentProductId=757985 not cheap though

I had one on my old gasser cruiser. It's nice to quite it down while on highway.

08Monster

Reaction score

I've been thinking this for 2 years... Haha

FX44AU

Reaction score
Guess I'll try the 5050XL...... 5" straight isn't too bad but it does drone some for sure under load. Probably a bit loud for the wife and kids though so hopefully the muffler takes care of most of it.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Made some progress with my truck. I was swapping mufflers into the muffler ****** location of my flow pro exhaust because it was the easiest thing to do. What I have found to be the issue is the flow pro location was almost 32" from the bend that goes over the axle. Last time I changed it I cut the 5050xl into the exhaust as close to the axle as I could. Then put the fte resonator right at the cross member which left a short piece of pipe between the two.

I did this as you want a resonator as far forward as possible and a muffler as close to the exhaust exit as possible.

So today I was thinking that I never tried it with just the muffler all the way back by itself. Removed the fte resonator and left the 5050xl all the way back at the bend that goes over the axle.

Result was very good. To my surprise there is almost no droan. Only a little around 1100-1200 rpms. I would say its about as loud as you can get with a good tone. Very little hiss and quite a bit of turbo noise. I really can't believe how much it changed from moving the same muffler 30" back in the same exhaust.

BIG JUICE

Reaction score
Made some progress with my truck. I was swapping mufflers into the muffler ****** location of my flow pro exhaust because it was the easiest thing to do. What I have found to be the issue is the flow pro location was almost 32" from the bend that goes over the axle. Last time I changed it I cut the 5050xl into the exhaust as close to the axle as I could. Then put the fte resonator right at the cross member which left a short piece of pipe between the two.

I did this as you want a resonator as far forward as possible and a muffler as close to the exhaust exit as possible.

So today I was thinking that I never tried it with just the muffler all the way back by itself. Removed the fte resonator and left the 5050xl all the way back at the bend that goes over the axle.

Result was very good. To my surprise there is almost no droan. Only a little around 1100-1200 rpms. I would say its about as loud as you can get with a good tone. Very little hiss and quite a bit of turbo noise. I really can't believe how much it changed from moving the same muffler 30" back in the same exhaust.
that is how mine is installed. I want to get fte resonator but I am thinking the fte resonator will make it too quiet ?

Ipkyss

Reaction score
The small fte will make a drastic change adding it before the muffler. It was very quiet with a little rumble and tone. I honestly feel like the fte robbed a bunch of power from the truck. I thought so when I added it, and I still think so when I removed it. It does an awesome job at killing droan though

Latest posts